• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't say that at all. But they're the reason things are as bad as they are.
And you're the delusional one if you don't think a lot of demand would be satisfied, if scalpers were out of the equation. More people are out to take advantage of others, then ever before, and it's not just videogame consoles.
Things would be bad without scalpers, just in a different way. Everyone would be in the rat race to get a PS5, not just everyone besides those willing to buy from scalpers + scalpers. It would be the same shit except now with less people getting a PS5 if they're willing to pay more for it.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they have the right idea but this is...executed poorly. Elite or GCU would have been a much easier sell.

yeah. Like the idea of some Best Buy sub isn't actually appalling to me. But I have no desire whatsoever to use Geeksquad services so those perks are a complete waste. The benefits of exclusive purchase events aren't even clear. Like if it was a guarantee of a spot in a queue that might be somewhat more tempting. But that chance at the PS5 doesn't really seem like it was even up that long. Like I'm sure it was longer than the normal window, but for $200 I'd like the peace of mind of not having to worry about this at all.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I was just at a BestBuy and saw they had a bunch of stuff discounted, but when I looked closer they all required this stupid new subscription thing I'd never heard of.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
If I was a scalper I would pay the 200$ to get all the high demand products. I'm sure this will also be for graphics cards.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Things would be bad without scalpers, just in a different way. Everyone would be in the rat race to get a PS5, not just everyone besides those willing to buy from scalpers + scalpers. It would be the same shit except now with less people getting a PS5 if they're willing to pay more for it.

Demand certainly doesn't get worse when you remove the group buying up consoles, with no interest in using them.
Makes no sense at all, so we'll agree to disagree.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
Sadly I think a lot of people will pony up the cash if they want either or both of the next-gen consoles for the holidays. Still cheaper than buying scalped on ebay and more reputable.

I think this is scummy as hell and a money grab for Best Bug but I think it'll work, unfortunately.
If it does well, I worry about the precedent it's going to set and how far this 'exclusive access' will go.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that's pretty shitty. Even if it's some limited-time thingy.

I'm still hoping I can just "go to a store and pick up a PS5" all easy-like sooner or later.

Saw this review on the TotalTech store page on BestBuy. If that's accurate, then it's pretty shitty.

What a nightmare to cancel. Joined to buy a PS5. once i purchased the PS5, bestbuy canceled the order and made it very difficult to cancel this subscription. BAIT AND SWITCH

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Target, Walmart, Amazon, etc should be happy about this. I've tried to go to BB more recently to keep a decent brick and mortar place going, but not sure I will with stuff like this.

This brings back a memory of a college professor who was talking about BB. She went there to buy laptop, got to checkout and the person was trying to sell her on a BB credit card or something (I don't recall exactly what, but an add on expense). She kept saying no and finally got to the point where she was like, "I want to buy this laptop without buying anything else. Will you allow me to do that?" They said no and she walked vowing to never shop at BB again.

Koppai

Oct 25, 2017
My coworker was able to get 1 so it basically stopped all those resellers from getting them.

We sell it to alot of older people or people who are having lots of stuff installed in their homes like security cameras or TV mounting services, etc.

Last edited:

dragonflys545

Oct 27, 2017
New York
So can someone summarize what TotalTech actually does? I seem Amazon and Gamestop comparisons, but the value propositions are obvious on those (Amazon Prime = kinda pricey, but lots of good benefits, Gamestop Pro whatever = shit, but very cheap). Where does TotalTech fall on that spectrum?

EDIT:

Uh, is that seriously it? That is a crap service. You'd have to buy 14.3 first party PS5 games a year to even get back your investment.

Damn dude I just wanted to come here and complain about Best Buy and now I'm full of existential dread.

Well GCU was only for games, and at the time that benefit was only 30$ for like 2 years.

yellowfury

Oct 27, 2017
Good thing I dropped Best Buy like a hot sack of shit when they fucked up delivering a washer and dryer to me a couple years ago

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Would be a friendlier gesture if Best Buy required buying PS5/XBX games totaling $200 with the console

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
This brings back a memory of a college professor who was talking about BB. She went there to buy laptop, got to checkout and the person was trying to sell her on a BB credit card or something (I don't recall exactly what, but an add on expense). She kept saying no and finally got to the point where she was like, "I want to buy this laptop without buying anything else. Will you allow me to do that?" They said no and she walked vowing to never shop at BB again.

That seems extreme enough to the point of not being believable or heavily exaggerated. Like I know they have quotas to meet and are pressured to meet them, but I've never had anything close to this as an experience at any retailer.

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yeah. Like the idea of some Best Buy sub isn't actually appalling to me. But I have no desire whatsoever to use Geeksquad services so those perks are a complete waste. The benefits of exclusive purchase events aren't even clear. Like if it was a guarantee of a spot in a queue that might be somewhat more tempting. But that chance at the PS5 doesn't really seem like it was even up that long. Like I'm sure it was longer than the normal window, but for $200 I'd like the peace of mind of not having to worry about this at all.
It was up for over an hour today.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If it offered the old school GCU benefits... I may actually consider.
Damnit, this was going to be my first question. Best Buy used to have a great gaming subscription, and if subscribing to that for 2 years is required to even buy the consoles, it would still suck but at least the fee went to something worthwhile.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still salty that Best Buy spent millions of both their own money, and publisher's money, to make a gaming department back in 2011 and killed it like 6 months later.

J.T

Nov 22, 2017
Straight Bullshit, so no more Elite+ early access, just $200 member access. Not cool

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
That seems extreme enough to the point of not being believable or heavily exaggerated. Like I know they have quotas to meet and are pressured to meet them, but I've never had anything close to this as an experience at any retailer.
As someone who worked at Best Buy, I'm leaning toward heavily exaggerated. Even the most persistent person back then would've stopped explaining the benefits after the second or third no.

And most definitely they would've allowed a purchase without a tack on. I know they used to bundle anti-virus software with laptops hard back then, but even if it was one of the items they already installed the software on (they tried to have like 30-40% of laptops bundled with some anti-virus that Geek Squad installed),. getting out of paying for it, especially if the bundled ones were the only ones in stock, was pretty easy.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
idk, it was ~20 years ago - should have included that in my post. I recall her being pretty specific about it, but yes she could have been exaggerating.

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I got my PS5, finally, from the last drop. Wild how hard these things are to get these days. Feel bad for all the kids who won't get one for Christmas this year.

Shirosaki

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Straight Bullshit, so no more Elite+ early access, just $200 member access. Not cool
With you on this, literally spent over $10 grand this last calendar year due to moving and console launches (part of which buying a $750 geek squad warranty for a 77" LG CX) yet no preferential treatment anymore on sales. Ridiculous stuff.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
200$ membership wtf

at least with 60$ cotsco membership you could buy cheap ass rotisserie chicken, hotdogs and stuff

but this? I'll stick to other retailer for console thanks

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It use to be $200 and at some point they lowered it to $30. Once everyone else got rid of discounts BB followed suit. There are some small discounts on games with Totaltech. It isn't all games but it's a start.
It was $120 at the start, not $200.

Still a lot, but not that much

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
With you on this, literally spent over $10 grand this last calendar year due to moving and console launches (part of which buying a $750 geek squad warranty for a 77" LG CX) yet no preferential treatment anymore on sales. Ridiculous stuff.

+1

I've been Elite Plus for about five years now (maybe longer - how long have they had it?). Always spend a few grand at BBY every year between video games, consoles, and PC accessories. Was worth it for the $5 rewards and early BF access.

Lame AF. Will start shopping elsewhere but not really sure where to give my money.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you pay this $200 membership, are you likely to be able to buy a ps5 or xsx? or are the chances still slim?

Something tells me even behind a $200 pay wall these will still be instantly sold out. Imagine paying that fee and then not being able to get one.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
If you pay this $200 membership, are you likely to be able to buy a ps5 or xsx? or are the chances still slim?

Something tells me even behind a $200 pay wall these will still be instantly sold out. Imagine paying that fee and then not being able to get one.

It sounds like it was up for reasonable amount of time the other day. It makes sense too because less people are going to have a membership, those that do that are around when the sale happens is going to reduce the numbers as well, and then it's going to be a subsection of those that actually want it.

Dec 4, 2018
I don't understand the scalping rhetoric. Apple Care alone is 200 bux versus Ebay where it's 1K (??) for just the PS5 alone.

What am I missing here? It's no different than Gamestop bundles though I find the included Apple Care to be very useful especially with new MacBooks coming next week.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I typically buy a lot of stuff at bestbuy so I ended up picking a membership today. Now I have to figure out if I am willing to spend the time to return/rebuy a macbook, elgato camera and a few other items to get coverage under this program.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
They just threw a Pokemon Elite Trainer Box behind this horse shit, so if you didn't know what this was, you know now.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I got an alert just now that the OLED Switch is available on BestBuy.com and then learned about this membership for the first time today:

qdWDjX4.png

zmB1kV2.png

jack-nicholson-middle-finger.gif

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just buy some bullshit bundle that comes with a toaster or whatever at that point

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Snagged a PS5(disc version), seems like it stayed alive for a hour. I wish I would have waited for the Switch oled at best buy, picked one up at gamestop so I dont have a free* warranty like I would have at Best Buy with TT.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
The only way to destroy the scalper was to become the scalper.
But is a $200 membership really gonna hurt for the scalpers who snap up and flip dozens of consoles?

I was in my local BBY store a few weeks ago and I did make an interesting discovery. A bunch of video games had special prices for Total Tech members on the signage. That was a benefit I didn't know about.

Though I have all but stopped day one'ing most games so it's kind of a moot perk for me.