• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best classic-style Castlevania, other than Rondo of Blood?

• Castlevania (1986)

Votes: 25 6.8%
  • Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse

Votes: 110 30.1%
  • Super Castlevania 4

Votes: 143 39.2%
  • Castlevania Chronicles

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • Castlevania Bloodlines

Votes: 54 14.8%
  • Castlevania: Dracula X

Votes: 13 3.6%
  • Castlevania: Adventure Rebirth

Votes: 8 2.2%

• Total voters

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Best 2D, sidescrolling, linear Castlevania game, other than Rondo of Blood?

Sorry for fans of Haunted Castle, Adventure, Belmont's Revenge, and Legends. 7 option limit.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I was going to vote l vote for Belmont's Revenge but it's not listed :(

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Gotta be Bloodlines baby.
tumblr_n3oz9puk4j1s9677oo1_500.gif

Edit: Wait, for some reason I thought this excluded the NES classics lol. Must've read to fast.
In that case it's hard to not say CV1 or CV3 jp. Argh, I can't choose...

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
mhm. perfect length, perfect sense of progression, amazing music and difficulty...

I'd say Rebirth is also up there because it has an amazing artsyle wall also being tightly designed and unique.
One thing a great NES game like Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden 2 have is that the length and difficulty is absolutely perfect. You feel like you accomplished something when you progress or clear the game and because the games are short they are extremely repayable.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Dracula's Curse, particularly the JP version.

Also for the few of you that picked Dracula X, y'all crazy.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Castlevania. Beautiful music, fantastic level design, great bosses, a great difficulty curve and the best pacing of any of the classic Castlevanias all while being the most elegantly simple. One of the very best games ever made.

Dracula's Curse would be a close second pick. Just as good but with more of everything. I prefer the razor sharp experience of the first game but I can completely understand why anyone would choose this one instead.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Honestly the original. It's greatly paced, has a fair challenge, and doesn't overstay it's welcome. CV3 has really high highs and really low lows. Super is a little too long for me. Belmont's Revenge is a great one, but I hate the Dracula fight at the end.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's either 3 or Bloodlines. My answer before replaying them all on the Collection would've been either 3 or 4, but Bloodlines rose a lot in my book and 4 dropped a bit.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I voted for the first but I can recognize III is the fuller featured game and probably a better choice.

Adventure Rebirth is great as well.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Bloodlines for me, and probably better than Rondo in some ways even. I really enjoyed the more globetrotting adventure, great visuals, and the game has killer pacing. It just feels so breezy to get through, compare to say Super, which I still liked a lot but felt like a drag in some spots. Bloodlines definitely became the top highlight for me with the Castlevania Collection.

Also it has a Frankenstein that is learning the ways of the Belmont. Can't beat that. XD

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Super Castlevania IV. Including Rondo of Blood. But just barely, because they're both extremely top tier.

They're a little hard to compare because they're both so different. For example, SCIV has better looking graphics, but Rondo has better animations and some "bigger" graphics like large paintings because of that CD storage. And SCIV has awesome gameplay gimmicks like the multi-directional whip that you can also swing with, while Rondo has other awesome gameplay gimmicks like two characters and branching paths.

But I have to give it to SCIV because I like its music a lot more overall, while I couldn't really get into most of Rondo's soundtrack.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just beat OG Castlevania this week for the 1st time, save scummed like a crazy person because I have been meaning to beat this game since the 80's and you know what, it wasnt gonna get done any other way.

Anyways, I was planning to make a LTTP thread because it was SO good. It was not overly packed so frame skipping was at a minimum, it uses the available memory beautifully so bullshit enemy respawn is minimal, THE MUSIC, THE ART, BOTH EXCELLENT. The use of the hyper saturated palette mixed with the spotted blacks, consistent lighting direction throughout, the fearless use of music to give each stage such a vibrant, alive feeling .... playing it at the same time as Bloodstained made it obvious just how many missed opportunities are plaguing that game.

Now Im starting Castlevania 3 (JPN version, heard it was better, especially the music) and it seems like the obvious evolution so Im pretty excited. The stained glass background early on is sublime.

Never played SC4, Bloodlines or Rondo enough to make a call. the SFX in Bloodlines are REALLY annoying though. Dracula X is whatever and Id like to think we all know that.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Super Castlevania 4 dude. It's my favorite of em all.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is pretty much a tie between Bloodlines and Dracula's Curse. I voted Dracula's Curse because I was afraid it was going to get shafted, only to see that it was Bloodlines who got shafted (hard). Both games are far superior to Super Castlevania IV (even if it does have a rocking soundtrack).

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
The Japanese version of Castlevania III.

In fact, a part of me likes it even more than Rondo, but I usually place Rondo higher because of the superior aesthetics and OST.

The Adventure ReBirth is probably my 3rd favorite Classicvania behind Rondo and III.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I just learned from the Retronauts TMNT podcast that TMNT games ended up selling so well they diverted resources and manpower from Konami's other NES projects, including Castlevania. I wonder if an otherwise planned NES Castlevania 4 would have ended up better than the SNES one.

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Castlevania 1 is perfect but too short.
You can literally fit the whole game in Castlevania 3 so that's my choice

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Having spent very little time with Chronicles I'd say it's a toss-up between 3 and Adventure Rebirth.

4 is grossly overrated.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't name it as my favorite, but more people need to play Chronicles, it's a fantastic classic style Castlevania.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't call it a cassic, but find the side-project "Bloodstained : Curse of the moon" really cool.

And the chiptune soundtrack is absolutely top-notch.