• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best codec leader?

• Roy Campbell. Snake, please save Meryl.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Colonel. RAIDEN, TURN OFF THE GAME CONSOLE NOW.

Votes: 25 29.4%
  • Major Zero. 007 is the biggest thing to come out of England since the Mayflower.

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Otacon. Can love bloom on the battlefield?

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • Kaz. THEY PLAYED US LIKE A DAMN FIDDLE!

Votes: 5 5.9%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I know people will chew me out for not including the diverse cast found in MGS1 and MGS3, but I'm talking primarily about contact numero uno here. So that means...

Metal Gear Solid 1

latest

Roy Campbell

A former green beret, and Snake's CO from the Zanzibarland incident. Colonel Campbell is a straightforward man who takes his job very seriously. Despite this, his human nature shines through his gruff military exterior, with him constantly expressing worry for the wellbeing of his country, his operatives, and his family. A man with a good heart, although also a bit of a player, based on his past explained in MGS, and the brief semi-canon glimpse we get of his younger self in Portable Ops. Cares about his niece, Meryl, quite a bit.

180px-Young_roy.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 2

Colonel

Colonel Campbell...? He never refers to himself by this name, but he sure looks and sounds like the colonel we know. However, he shares none of the human traits we've seen before, putting the mission before all else. It seems like the mission is all he knows... what lies beneath that cold exterior?

hqdefault.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 3

CnZtMfmWAAAcs_e.jpg

Major Zero

A British man obsessed with James Bond films and tea, and the leader of the FOX unit, Zero has a sense of humor and a charming wit, but, like Campbell, takes his job very seriously. His relationship with Jack/Naked Snake feels friendlier than the others, with him being the head of a team of operatives who feel like family. Major Zero is a wealth of information, and an extremely valuable asset to Snake during Operation Snake Eater, both practically and emotionally.

fox000.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 4/Metal Gear Solid 2 Tanker

c2b7568030fefe44a032093a9b95d8d5.jpg

Otacon

The designer of Metal Gear REX who joined Solid Snake in Shadow Moses, and one of the founders of Philanthropy, an anti-Metal Gear organization. Real name Hal Emmerich. Acting as Snake's makeshift CO, the two feel more like friends than co-workers - two men with the same goals and ideals, ready to do what it takes to carry them out. After Snake re-retired from the military, Otacon was his primary, and often only, source of contact. Quite knowledgable about technology and gadgets, although a bit lacking in his ability to analyze Chiinese proverbs.

JaggedImmediateKagu-size_restricted.gif

Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker/Metal Gear Solid V

14ef4321917724af98fd6a3a7fc3548140386feb_00.jpg

Kazuhira Miller

AKA Master McDonnel Miller, the man who Liquid Snake would later impersonate during the Shadow Moses Incident. Kaz is a gung-ho, cheerful man who has great hopes for the PMC that he and Big Boss have started, and is always ready to offer a helping hand. Kaz always has a story to tell about his past, and is in it with Snake for the long haul. Suffers a bout of depression after the Ground Zeroes incident, with his personality taking a darker turn. He became obsessed with revenge, and lost his playful attitude. By the time he advised Solid Snake in the 90's, he had apparently lost his sense of humor and jovial side entirely, becoming a detached professional.

5939a6a98421ed44dc954a1aa551f488.jpg

Last edited:

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit. Surprised to see Major Zero winning ATM. I picked him thinking he wouldn't even be close. The Codec calls in general I think peaked with MGS3. They still used them as a bit of an MGS2-like exposition crutch for the Virtuous Mission but their story and optional usage during Operation Snake Eater is perfect. Fuck, MGS3 is so good!

Makoto Yuki

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy Colonel and Raiden is legendary. Fuck the rest. MGS2 continues to be best MGS.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Of the main ones? Major Zero. Very funny, very knowledge. Very weird. The ultimate villain of the series is just a bonus.

The real best Codec contacts are Para Medic, Signit, and Pliskin in that order.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where the fuck is Natasha Romanenko?

Calling her to know more about the weapons in MGS was great. Her getting legit impressed after you down Hind-D was legit one of the things that cemented Solid Snake as a bonifide badass for me.

Nov 2, 2017
There was something special just calling and listening to all the support staff conversations and discovering new dialogue every time.