• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 21, 2019
Curious as to what game everyone considers to have the best combat this generation.

My pick is God of War. Recently completed a second playthrough, and the combat is just fucking flawlessly executed.

Close second would be Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
God of War.
Physics driven and visceral. Somewhat grounded and 'non-abstract' (when contrasted to some of the other titles mentioned here). A lot of subtleties and depth. But most importantly feels great. Can't wait to experience it in 60fps.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
WYX1hho+-+Imgur.gif

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
For action stuff DMC V would be like my top pick though there's some other really great stuff like Nioh 2 and Sekiro.

For turn based I really like Divinity Original Sin 2's combat.

For card games Slay the Spire feels so good to play.

Maybe that's cheating to go with different categories but oh well lol.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People will shit on me here but for me it's probably Spider-Man. Loved the speed, fluidity and animations. The amount of gadgets and how varied they were was pretty awesome as well.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Not Sekiro.

I'd agree with below and say I had the most fun with hollow knight fights.

There's something about nightmare Grimm that's untouchable.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does Final Fantasy 7 Remake count?

Plenty of games that I've enjoyed this gen; God of War, DMCV, Dead Cells, Horizon Zero Dawn, but probably due to nostalgia, FF7 Remake is the most memorable.

edit: shit I forgot Soulsborne games.

Oct 27, 2017
God of War 4
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Doom Eternal
Titanfall 2
Bloodborne
Sekiro
Ace Combat 7
Yakuza 0
Judgment

I loved all of these but I gotta give it to GOW4 or Doom. Both of these are excellent and deserve all the praise.

Oct 25, 2017
Doom Eternal.

It's similar to Sekiro in how demanding it is, but with a much vaster arsenal, and more specifically a vaster arsenal that is required to use.

It's like Sekiro if Sekiro allowed you to equip 4 combat arts at once, and forced you to use all of them.

DMC5 is king in mechanics alone, but the bosses were a little disappointing, with the exception of the final one.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro and to me there's nothing else that can get close to it's combat.
DMC5 and it's not close

Somehow agree with both of these. They're at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of style but they both succeed so well at what they do that everything else has felt a notch below.

Shout out to FF7R though. Finding the right materia builds and mid fight party management/character switching was pretty fun.

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of feel, definitely Sekiro.
In terms of depth, DMC 5.
Shooting: DOOM Eternal.

Others: Nioh (2), Bloodborne, Titanfall, The Wonderful 101, For Honor.

Great gen for good combat.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DMC V
Jedi Fallen Order
God of War
Astral Chain
I couldn't just pick one I loved them all so much.