• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
My vote goes to Nioh. The ki pulse system and 3 stances are brilliant additions to the souls type combat system. Even though there was less weapon variety each came with way more moves and combos. The animation in particular was just brilliant. It looked great and felt great.

nioh-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-08dec15

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
it might not be particularly revolutionary but i didn't get sick of the turn based combat in Persona 5 and it took me 155 hours to finish!

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably the combat in Horizon ZD the most this year. Combination of smooth controls, weapon variety, and enemy design.

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
Probably the combat in Horizon ZD the most this year. Combination of smooth controls, weapon variety, and enemy design.

Was about to post this. Horizon just felt right. It took just the right amount of ideas from Monster Hunter, 3rd person shooters and open world RPGs and streamlined all into one nice, GOTY package

OP
OP
Arion

Arion

Oct 26, 2017

Enemy design wise HZD was absolutely the best this year and it's also the thing most lacking in Nioh. However, I do wish the melee combat felt a bit more consistent.

Oct 25, 2017
Nier's is pretty basic PlatinumGames but mixed up thanks to the robot gun companion.

Zelda probably deserves a mention due to the amount of options you have to tackle a situation, but it's missing a few tweaks to make it some of the best.

nuggetgamer52

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta go Persona 5. Never thought I would enjoy turn based combat, looked tedious and not fun. Boy was I wrong. Close runner up is HZD, always a satisfying feeling when you see pieces of the machines your fighting crumble and hit the floor.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Ys VIII is a real blast to play, can't get enough of it.

Especially the PS4 extra content

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Enemy design wise HZD was absolutely the best this year and it's also the thing most lacking in Nioh. However, I do wish the melee combat felt a bit more consistent.
Yea, I do hope they add more variety for melee if they do a sequel but going into the game I knew it would be all about that bow. It's pretty amazing how GG managed to make basic enemy encounters feel as elaborate as boss battles in other games.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Best I played was Horizon: Zero Dawn.

That game was great. Combat remained fun the whole time.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Persona 5. I rarely had more fun with turn-based combat. It is fast, it is incredibly stylish and it feels rewarding.
All the mechanics like the guns, the hold-up/interrogation system, it all flows really well.

Edit: Oh and I almost forgot the music. Hot damn it's so good.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Nioh was the best for sure, Nier was the most stylish action game.

For turn based I think DA:OS2 was epic. Just so many fun possibilities, so many ways to play around especially in coop.

DQXI was also great because of the team attacks.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Think I would go with NioH too. Really liked the stances system, makes fighting with the same weapon very diferent and dinamic. The Ki pulse was pretty cool too.

Oct 25, 2017
509e41eb7e4d8c2e8e9947876a796989_original.png

See a puddle of water? How about electrocuting it so everybody in it will get stunned? Or maybe freeze it so enemies might fall down while walking over it? You could also throw a fireball at it, creating a cloud of smoke which obscures the vision. And then, how about electrocuting the cloud? Of course you could also........

Se7enSword

Oct 25, 2017
GA, USA
Ys VIII has been by far the best combat game i've played this year hands down. I am so pumped up for the PC version so that I can 100% my PC runs.

Linkyn

Oct 27, 2017
For me, it would have to be Persona 5. Launching an all-out attack after a string of knock-downs is supremely satisfying ( though I still prefer the sheer ridiculousness of a 10+ combo in Tokyo Mirage Sessions). It really is a shame there aren't more turn-based RPGs like that.

If we're going for real time, I'm a little torn, though I'd like to give a shout-out to Horizon: Zero Dawn, Breath of the Wild, and Yakuza 0.

Edit: Nioh is pretty good, as well, but I'm nowhere near skilled enough at that game to be able to adequately assess its combat system.

Oct 25, 2017
Best I played was Horizon: Zero Dawn.

That game was great. Combat remained fun the whole time.

Agreed. I for sure thought I'd tire of it by the end, but I never did. Shooting Watchers in the eye for the kill never got old.

I do agree the melee needs a tune-up for the sequel but other than that, change nothing, Guerilla.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
509e41eb7e4d8c2e8e9947876a796989_original.png

See a puddle of water? How about electrocuting it so everybody in it will get stunned? Or maybe freeze it so enemies might fall down while walking over it? You could also throw a fireball at it, creating a cloud of smoke which obscures the vision. And then, how about electrocuting the cloud? Of course you could also........

Yeah, in terms of depth of options - DOS II wins by a mile.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
Gonna go with Persona 5. I'm also really enjoying Divinity: Original Sin II's combat system. It's especially great in co-op. Having two minds thinking through the ways in which you can win a tough battle makes the combat system really great.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Didn't play Nioh yet, will try it on PC next month. For now my vote goes to Pyre though, it's a surprisingly great and deep adaptation of sports in a fantasy themed game. Shame there's no online PvP in that game.

Merun

Oct 25, 2017
Ys VIII has been by far the best combat game i've played this year hands down. I am so pumped up for the PC version so that I can 100% my PC runs.

Definitely agree on this. Fast, precise and just adrenaline pumping.

I'm a bit saddened by Nier. I expected more from Platinum as MGR and Bayonetta are top tier in battle.

reddonkeyham

Oct 27, 2017
Nioh for me.

Shoot arrows, lay traps, repeat..
I'm starting to think I played Horizon all wrong, and one of the reasons I never finished it.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My vote goes to Horizon Zero Dawn, it slowly opens up over the game untIl you become a bad ass that can take on anything with ease.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Torn between Nioh, Horizon, and Dragons Dogma:DA. Probably Nioh. I really need to get back to that.

Deleted member 6137

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despite many changes that I disliked about Divinity: Original Sin 2 combat, I rate its combat as the best of 2017. In recent years, not many games with turn-based combat come close.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 for me. But I wanna give a shoutout to the new South Park, it's not the most revolutionary thing ever. But it's lots of fun I feel.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Nioh for me....

Currently on WOTN and switched too ninja/Kusaragui build from dual swords.

Ki is vital on harder difficulties along with status's playing important roles.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Of the very few new games I've played this year...Actually it's quicker to just go through them:

Nier Automata is the smoothest and the one I like to gif. It's quite shallow unfortunately - I was a bit disappointed that the mid combo triangle attack is the same no matter when it's initiated.
Persona 5 has an incredible turn-based design, and gives you tons of ways to take out enemies.The downside to this is that it makes combat too easy. I found myself wanting to revisit Persona 3 to wrestle with MARIN KARIN again.
FFXII is...not my kind of game. Loathed playing this.

Shit, did I only play 3 new games this year? Goddamn.

Life28

Oct 28, 2017
Slovakia
NIOH is choice number one in terms of design but South Park: The Fractured Butthole is the funny one without relatively hard learning curve as NIOH. I love dialogues between characters, funny taunts, huge variablity in attacks and enemies.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Divinity: Original Sin 2. It probably has the best turn-based combat system of all time.

Probably because you aren't sure if there's anything better or because you have an equivalent in your mind?

If it's the latter, I would like to inquire more about it. From all the things I have seen, Divinity does look to hold the crown for turn-based games.

Oct 25, 2017
I opened this thread wondering if it was going to be Nioh, and I've come away very pleased.

So much fun to play. It doesn't surpass the combat in other action games I enjoy, but for a whole new system Team Ninja came up with it is very commendable the amount of depth put into it with those mechanics.