• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Came in to say Nioh.

Great to see it in the OP. Probably the best action game combat system ever when you factor in how much you can do with it while also keeping it fairly simple for new players.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017

It's one of the best turn-based combat systems ever, and a fantastic example of how favoring player-freedom over strict balance can be incredibly fun. Do you want to become a Barrelmancer and chuck heavy barrels at your enemies? Go right ahead. What about stacking a few crates to form a wall? Why not! It's a game that strongly rewards creativity.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Divinity OS 2.

Surprised by the couple mentions of Battlechasers, I've found the battle system the hardest thing about the game to get into. It's not too bad when in dungeons on highest difficulty, particularly shining on bosses and minibosses, but those are few and far between.

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
Another vote for Horizon:Zero Dawn here.

Fluid, satisfying and enough evolution in technique right through to remain interesting

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Nioh. I played the demo for like 30 hours and never actually bought the real game, but even just the demo had more interesting combat than a lot of full games I played this year.

HHGaming

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon gameplay is so damn smooth

horizon-zero-dawn_201lpst2.jpg

+

509e41eb7e4d8c2e8e994y9s0e.png

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably the combat in Horizon ZD the most this year. Combination of smooth controls, weapon variety, and enemy design.

That would be mine as well. With the disclaimer that I don't like action games like Nioh, Nier etc.

I loved all the options of using trip wires, rope casters to look beasts down, different weapons and ammo types etc.

The combat vs. humans was bare bones, but vs. the robo dinos it was incredible.

writerblue

Oct 27, 2017
Nioh is up there for me, and I also really like Horizon's combat, it felt satisfying taking on and defeating the bigger machines or just packs of enemies in the game.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Probably because you aren't sure if there's anything better or because you have an equivalent in your mind?

If it's the latter, I would like to inquire more about it. From all the things I have seen, Divinity does look to hold the crown for turn-based games.

I'm still not sure whether I like the combat system of Divinity: Original Sin 1 or 2 the most. But you've probably played that one already.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Horizon: Zero Dawn, every encounter really forces you to utilize all your arsenal and as the difficulty ramps up it forces you to improve said weapons.

Even when a gun makes you feel OP like the tearblaster, you'll quickly run out of resources if you overuse it, so you gotta be mindful and know when to use which one.

Plus, giant mecha dinosaurs, what's not to love about that.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I'll be the oddball and say Hellblade. The mechanics aren't deep, but there's some really brilliant design going on there, with how the combat system not only ties directly into the overall narrative but is actually an extension of it. Senua's voices acting as audio cues to attacks you would otherwise be blindsided by works wonderfully. The ability to counter, focus, and then retaliate never got old for me, and the tight camera angles gave combat an intense, almost claustrophobic quality to it that made things feel even more menacing. I also liked that the combat was, at times, blatantly and intentionally unfair. Times when you were going to take some punishment and you could never 'git gud' to the point that it became a breeze. There's no mastery, here, only survival, which is exactly how it should be for a game like that.

Oct 25, 2017
My top 3, all for very different reasons and in different genres:

Nioh

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Divinity: Original Sin 2

If I had to give the edge to any, I'd say H:ZD solely because I think the very hard difficulty was tuned very, very well. Though picking a best here doesn't really mean much given how different the games and genres are.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the people saying Horizon: Zero Dawn. Every encounter is just so much fun. You have plenty of options with all your weapons and your types of arrows and you can utilize all that due to the great enemy variety. And then you run to get some distance between you and your foe and then suddenly different enemies join the fray and it gets beautifully frantic.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
My vote goes to Nioh as well. They could have just made a poor Souls clone but they added so much to the system that the original now feels outdated. Style switching, Ki pulses, it's all great. A mashup of Ninja Gaiden action and Souls thoughtfulness.

Oct 27, 2017
I can agree with Horizon. I liked the game, not as much as some people have, but I thought it was a very solid game. The combat is possibly its best aspect. It feels really fluid, even at 30 FPS.

Graciaus

Oct 27, 2017
I was a little disappointed in person 5's system. The baton pass system is behind social links making new characters at a disadvantage. It didn't stop me from using them but still annoying. Then the all out attacks should really be toned down.

Tales of berseria had a really fun system with a varied cast. It's just to bad it takes to long to fully unlock everything. Unfortunately velvet was a little to good but i never used her after awhile unless things got real bad.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Nioh for active combat
Mario X Rabbids for turn base so far for me.

Need to revisit MXR, and Persona 5, but I preferred the first two gimmick -based major boss battles in the former over the first of the latter.

Igama

Oct 27, 2017
Another vote for Persona 5. In a turn-based game with such length, and specifically such a huge amount of battles, the combat is a key point to avoid being tedious. The battle system is very fast-paced, rewards the player by targeting weaknesses, and has a good amount of options, which you will appreciate more if you played P3 and P4 as it uses them as base. It's visually very pleasing and stylish too.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Only played four or so hours of Nioh, but hot damn if that isn't some of the best combat around. Nier Auto's combat is mechanically pleasing, but it's stretched way too thin. After five hours, I've seen it all. By hour 30, I just wanted it to end.

Horizon would be a close second. The bow in that game was tuned to perfection. It's a shame the melee combat was poor.

For FPSs, I'm still going with Destiny 2.

We could talk about the lack of content all week, but when it comes to FPS mechanics, Destiny is second to none. Playing Wolf TNC only reinforces that notion.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Nioh yeah, can't think of anything else from all the other games that came out this year.
Divinity OS2 is another good shout though!

I don't really get the Persona 5 nomination, when it's a really classic/basic turn-based combat system, and while being better than P3/4 (not too hard) is still behind its competitors and the regular SMT games.
Nier is nice but shallow on that side, and Horizon is sadly pretty basic and repetitive despite the cool moments.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon surprised me, I didn't expect it to be as deep and engaging as it was, bar the melee.

Shout outs to Persona 5 & Nier Automata.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Divinity OS2 has the best turn based combat ever made in a game, so that's an easy winner for 2017

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Nioh is a true evolution of the Souls-esque combat system and one of the best parts of the game

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Despite not playing it yet, I imagine Divinity Original Sin II would be the obvious winner here for turn based. Nioh is the clear winner for the core combat in real time. But I didn't particularly think this was a great year for combat centric games specifically.

CrusoeCMYK

Oct 25, 2017
Nioh's combat was amazing which made the lack of enemy variety all the more painful. I do want to get around to playing Horizon as I've regularly heard good things about it's combat.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Horizon would be sure the second one after Nioh to me. I mean, Horizon wins in enemies for sure, fighting the robot dinos is simply amazing, and the "hunter" styled weapons and tools works so well.

Also, Horizon is the only game that has a bow gameplay that comes close to the perfection that was Dragon's Dogma.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Nioh's combat mechanics sure are something. Too bad about the rest of the game.

Horizon would've needed decent melee combat to truly shine.

Ursus007

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lausanne, Swizterland
It's have to say H:ZD was most fun. Nioh is just Dark Souls++ with extra complexity, but Horizon felt truly fresh, innovative and challenging.

Turn-Based: Persona 5

If we separate turn based then Persona 5 was alright but Divinity: Original Sin 2 is the future. (I am, admittedly, biased because JRPG/Pokemon combat feels terrible to me. Why can't we move around the battlefield?)

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn along with Nioh (only played one of the alphas and could already tell it was sublime).

Persona 5 has excellent turn-based combat as well. Can't speak for Divinity.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Three come to mind:
  • Nioh
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Persona 5
As they're all very different, I won't rank them.

Nioh yeah, can't think of anything else from all the other games that came out this year.
Divinity OS2 is another good shout though!

I don't really get the Persona 5 nomination, when it's a really classic/basic turn-based combat system, and while being better than P3/4 (not too hard) is still behind its competitors and the regular SMT games.
Nier is nice but shallow on that side, and Horizon is sadly pretty basic and repetitive despite the cool moments.

Because it's fast, fluid, stylish, and plain fucking cool to watch. Also, the encounters aren't horrendously unbalanced like, say, SMT IV. Sometimes, style and visual flair make for a more fun, engaging battle system as long as it's good to begin with. Visual feedback can do a lot to make battles engaging.

Last edited:

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn,I was extremely surprised how good the combat and the controls are.Nioh is up there,but I only played the demo.

Bashful Trey

Oct 27, 2017
Houston TX
I really need to pick up Ni-oh. For me, it's gotta be Persona 5. The way they streamlined turn based controls feels fluid as hell. It feels so satisfying when you know what you're doing and what everyone's weakness is. It's like snap snap snap BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM ca-ching.