• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
My first post here on Resetera:)

For me good combat and intuitive movement is essentially the gameplay in adventures and RPGs..
Best combat this year undoubetly has Horizon zero dawn; it has some interesting options, unique enemies, surprisingly well executed stealth mechanics ans it looks and sounds absolutely amazing.
Didn't play Nioh or Nier Automata so the next pick could be controversal but for me it's Prey. Make sure you max out the skill tree "movement", it unlocks fast running and double jump and so it comes really close to what Doom was last year. It lacks enemy variety, tough.
Third pick is Mario&Rabbids. It simply is satisfying.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
Mario + Rabbids has an excellent battle system. You dash into an enemy, barely making it to the pipe you use to reach the other side of the map, and get an extra burst of energy on the other side, which lets you can reach an ally who helps you leap to reach new heights, jumping on an enemy and then landing behind cover. You decide on your next target and hit them squarely. Your shot pushes them to backwards, letting you take your opportunity to shoot them again, which knocks them out of bounds. Then you take control of the next character that turn.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Mario + Rabbids has an excellent battle system. You dash into an enemy, barely making it to the pipe you use to reach the other side of the map, and get an extra burst of energy on the other side, which lets you can reach an ally who helps you leap to reach new heights, jumping on an enemy and then landing behind cover. You decide on your next target and hit them squarely. Your shot pushes them to backwards, letting you take your opportunity to shoot them again, which knocks them out of bounds. Then you take control of the next character that turn.
It was pretty great indeed. Only thing that was really missing was a confirmation button for actions. Many times I accidentally clicked somewhere sending my character into an open space ruining that mission for me.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Holy shit , looking forward to nioh going by the comments in this thread . I bought it a couple of weeks ago but also bought bloodbourne at the same time and that downloaded first . So just starting old hunter dlc of that and later in week when I finish that will start nioh , or perhaps frozen wilds . All great combat systems!

Neurom

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of combat systems, can anyone tell me how Prey is working post the 1.05 patch...I have been dying to get it for sometime on the PS4 but avoided it because of the input lag issues and stuttering...

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do we define "best combat"? If it is about depth and skill then Nioh is undoubtedly the best combat game this year. But if it is about fun factor I'll have to go with Horizon. Fighting the robots in Horizon is more enjoyable and satisfying than anything I've played in Nioh.

Vitor711

Oct 28, 2017
UK
It was pretty great indeed. Only thing that was really missing was a confirmation button for actions. Many times I accidentally clicked somewhere sending my character into an open space ruining that mission for me.

Ha, had that issue happen so many times. It's so easy to accidentally move next to an enemy instead of confirming a dash attack. Led me to restart quite a few levels to get a perfect rating. I think that a 'confirm' button would add too many annoying button presses throughout the game though. What every XCom style tactics game needs is a 3-second grace period for an 'Undo'. I.e. not looking enough to cheese the system by gaming hit percentages but enough to let me not move to the wrong square by mistake.

I'd argue against Rabbids here as best combat just because I never was forced to vary away from my Mario, Luigi and Rabbid Luigi team. I got a perfect on almost every mission with the same core moves and abilities and got a little bored towards the end as a result.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
OP opened and closed his/her own thread

Nioh it is. Horizon has great ranged combat but just ok melee.

Persona 5 should get a mention as well but the winner is Nioh.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Toss up to Nioh, Nier, P5...damn there are actually quite a few games that have good combat systems this year. Nioh is the one i've spent by far the most time on, cant get away from stance switching. Still not tired after 600 hours

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im quite astounded how versatile and satisfying Shadows of Mordor is, the animations are breathtaking. Everything has a sense of weight and brutality to it. Yes its cinematic, but i prefer that then to pure combat system like DMC and Souls.

Shadows of Mordor for me, also loved Batman Arkham Knight combat.

Worst: Breath of the Wild, little enemy variety & behaviour, limited animations, quite archaic in movement, no strategy needed, let the game down tremendously.

Last edited:

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In terms of "best", surely ECHO deserves some kind of nod for being innovative and standing out from the pack? At least in terms of trying to incorporate machine learning into games. I feel really sad every time I'm reminded how poorly that game sold.

Sp3ratus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to see so many people saying HZD and D:OS2. To me, those are definitely the two games with the best combat systems of this year. I actually just beat D:OS2 yesterday after 99 hours. I had so much fun throughout the entire playthrough, never got tired of the combat. All the different encounters and options you have during each combat scenario was just awesome. I played on Tactician mode, so most encounter, even late-game was challenging enough, so I couldn't just breeze through them.

Horizon was just fantastic, both in its combat system and the game in general. I haven't gone back after 100% it, but I really want to go back soon and play NG+ and Ultra Hard.

FeArTriX

Oct 26, 2017
Nioh combat is soo good and satisfying, you can see that they forgot to polish anything else because of it.

Last edited:

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Ys VIII has some lovely responsive combat, though there are times I wish I could cancel out of a combo a bit easier. The combat in Nier Automata was also quite fun. For turn based, Persona 5's was quality but aside from the stylish UI didn't really innovate all that much.

Law

Oct 27, 2017
Nier for me. the fast pace, Combos, awesome boss fights, mix weapons, short range and long attacks mix. Just amazing.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Nier, Persona 5, and Horizon all had fantastic combat and felt so good to play, but Nioh stands at the top for those quick flurries and perfectly timed ki pulses that just allow you to keep going. The hard clash of metal sound that accompanied the ki pulse felt so pleasing to hear. I'd also like to give a special nod to Resident Evil 7 in VR. The head tracked aiming was great and elevated that game so much.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Hands down Nioh for me the space in where you can play in is so vast. I wanna say it's too bad that loot/high incoming dmg mitigates a lot of the motivation for players to really explore the system since you just grind yourself to a one shot machine.
I feel like maybe they should have designed more active boni for pulling of great combos and exploiting more of the combat mechanics instead of just the loots and stat ones. More stuff like the the dmg buff after ki pulses integrated in the play flow of good execution might have been great. That said I enjoy the loot too much and the journey to become a 1 shot machine that I'm not too sad that not every single second of nioh is high stress execution demanding combat.

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
In terms of pure delight/joy, it's Nier Automata hands down. It's an open-world RPG with combat designed by Platinum. Is there anything else that needs to be said?

Though in terms of technicality, I'mma get all controversial up in your ass and say Mass Effect Andromeda. Such a damn shame about the rest of the game...

Sygma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nioh and Horizon Zero Dawn hands down

Honestly, as good as Divinity Original Sin 2 was, Disgaea still has the upper hand imho (purely on the combat end)

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Agree with Nioh, to me the best katana combat system in any game ever.

I also loved the smooth and fast combat system of Nier: Automata and the stylish turn based combat of Persona 5

EVAC434

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this! I'm playing though Odyssey now, but im definitely going to pick up Rabbids afterwards.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have not played Nioh or Divinity yet but Horizon had some of the best combat in a western game ever. Fighting the big endgame robots was such a delight.

People are actually saying Nier had good combat? It was smooth but boring. Just no.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Thread title immediately made me think Nioh. Glad to see it was represented in the OP! I don't usually play a game twice in the same year but damn I'm tempted to get Nioh on PC.

Turn based version would definitely be Divinity: Original Sin 2. The amount of options you have are just immense.

Torn between Nioh, Horizon, and Dragons Dogma:DA. Probably Nioh. I really need to get back to that.

Dragon's Dogma is real good as well but also not a 2017 game.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Absolver gets my vote.

Combat system is amazing. Like For Honor but 10 times better. I loved experimenting with differente moves, attacks and combos. Great animations made it look amazing. The flow of every fight is just perfect.

Of course fighting couple of enemies at once sucks and I think game had many flaws overall, but 1v1 combat? Almost perfect.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I skipped Nioh since I didn't like any of the betas.

So for me the best combat I engaged in isn't standout. No game automatically came to mind. Nier combat doesn't get to be truly spectacular because the enemies are just cannon fodder. Horizon Zero Dawn combat is great, but didn't feel like a tight gameplay loop I wanted to experience over and over. Persona 5 maybe wins this category because I spent over 100 hours with the game and the combat remained interesting and challenging enough throughout.

Prey to me was the most interesting game on all levels I encountered this year. The gloo gun, how to fight mimics, and the weapons being satisfying all helped. Evil Within 2, if you desired to play with combat while it encourages stealth far more, is fun combat. I loved stomp the yarding enemies on the ground, the shotguns felt great to shoot, and environmental use to garner kills was fun.

I guess Persona 5? I don't know. Nothing was spectacular combat this year. Maybe Xenoblade will save the day ?

Touha

Oct 27, 2017
No question Nioh for me. Not only the best combat system/gameplay this year but in recent memory.

Team Ninja is now responsible for the two greatest action/hack and slash game systems IMO--- Ninja Gaiden and Nioh.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
For me it's Horizon Zero Dawn. Planning out battles against some of the deadlier machines and switching arrows on the fly, slowing down time, nailing a shot in the perfect place, and then rolling away was such a rush.

Gillben

Oct 28, 2017
Absolver gets my vote.

Combat system is amazing. Like For Honor but 10 times better. I loved experimenting with differente moves, attacks and combos. Great animations made it look amazing. The flow of every fight is just perfect.

Of course fighting couple of enemies at once sucks and I think game had many flaws overall, but 1v1 combat? Almost perfect.

This is the truth. The design of the combat system in Absolver is the best new take on fighting games since Smash Bros. I absolutely love it still 80+ hours later. They've been steady with patches and updates too. Absolver easily gets my vote for most-underappreciated game this year. It even has music by Austin Wintory (Journey Composer) AND a song co-produced by RZA (from Wu-tang) as the final boss fight theme!

We need an Absolver appreciation thread to raise awareness.
ParchedColorfulLamb.webm
ParchedColorfulLamb-size_restricted.gif

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Out of what I played, it's Horizon Zero Dawn. The human and melee combat can be weak, but the various robots and combat options made up for it.

Breath of the Wild was pretty good too with all the options available. Just a shame that weapons hardly lasted a couple of encounters and some elements were repetitive.

Looking forward to Nioh.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
From what I've played I'd also go with Horizon. The basic melee combat can be a little messy but overall it just feels fantastic to play. It's a bit tricky comparing such vastly different games though. I loved the combat in Persona 5 as well but how do you really compare that to something like Horizon? I've also yet to play Nier but I really enjoyed the demo.

And I'll give a shout out to Absolver as well. Maybe that is the right answer... it's still apples to oranges though.

Last edited:

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Nioh's overall combat was great so maybe that. Nier Automata had great basic fundamentals for the combat but the enemy designs (how they fight, not the aesthetics) and difficulty balance ruined it for me.