• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A week ago, in a thread asking "Will you be buying God of War or Yakuza?"

Bloody ridiculous.

It's even funnier now that they're out because Yakuza 6's combat is actually pretty bad compared to other games in the series let alone compared to the new GoW, which has surpassed most people's expectations on combat I think it's fair to say.

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
1. gow, i just love it, its so brute and diverse.
2. dark souls 3
3. nioh
4. mgs5 / mafia 3....MGS gunplay felt always great, but mafia 3 surprised me, i loved it.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
If you really want to know what the combat is all about in God of War, the optional content is where it is at. The game has made me do something I do in some character action games. Some straight Naruto shit where I had to get better at the game RIGHT NOW or I couldn't get past it. There was an encounter I was having hell with and when I finally beat it I didn't get hit once.

maks

Oct 27, 2017
Any combat videos of God of war that show off how great it is in the hands of a competent player? No doubt it has mobility and combat options, I'd like to see what it' is like when its all put together.

I just started the game and have avoided pretty much all info on the game aside from a couple trailers leading up to release. (When I'm going to buy a game I avoid info on it lol). Hearing this level of praise on its combat is a nice surprise.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Is Exanima that worthwhile on its own, I've been waiting for Sui Generis and didn't really give this precursor thing much of a look because it just seemed like an afterthought so they can get something out while still working on SG.

I liked DD while it lasted but as you reach the late game it becomes too much about stats, not skill. Monster Hunter has stats but it never felt like too much, always being primarily about the player skill. I'd vote for pre-World MH.

But outside my very personal opinion I think a vote has to go to the pre-Skyward Sword 3D Zelda games (I haven't played BOTW and I hear that's different) because they're both super accessible / super fun and allow for creativity in the way they challenge the player with puzzle-like bosses and other encounters on top of the regular hack and slashing, plus they basically invented the lock-on duel style combat still used in the likes of the Souls games which play quite similarly with a few twists of their own (like the different weapons/combos etc., but the core remains the same as you pay close attention while circling the enemy to dodge, block or parry and counter or retaliate when you see an opening).

Exanima is worth playing on it's own for sure, especially at the low price it's being sold. Although it's still in Early Access and not done yet (with a major Patch currently in closed testing) here's what you can do:
  • Story Mode: Create your character, with choices of background as you unlock them which affects your starting equipement and how NPCs react to you (Dialogue is in the Closed Testing build). Progress through various maze like floors with puzzles where you can find lore books for clues into the complex story. Fight a variety of enemies with their own personality (Some fight, some run, some help you. All remember how you dealt with them and analyse your disposition) that range from Undead, Skeletons, Ogres & Golems
  • Practice Mode: Fight through 10 set challenge matches where you have all skills unlocked and keep the gear you earn from each enemy defeated. Once completed you unlock the Hard difficulty where there's a new set of Enemies with higher quality gear.
  • Arena Mode: Create your character to fight in various arena matches (Free For All, Team battles, Ogre matches, Fist fights, ect...) to earn money and gain experience. Spend the money on equipment for each Tier, hire AI controlled NPCs to fight for you or with you and recruit new Characters to fight with

The combat is the main draw of the game, even if the devs are mostly aiming for a rich world with depth and intricate classic RPG mechanics. Just be sure to go into it with the right mindset of patience where you're willing to put in the time to pick-up the very unique control scheme and actually player skill based progression (as in you can pull fancy maneuvers once you're used to your character and weapon)

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like my combat to have both depth and speed. From what I've played these are my picks
NGB
DMC4
Bayonetta 1
Bayonetta 2
Nioh(Demo only)

I like DeSouls and Bloodbourne a lot but they aren't my cup of tea for best combat of all time.

This gen it's definitely Bayonetta 2 and Nioh that are my picks. Also I'm under the assumption we are talking about action games primarily.(otherwise add Crysis 1/warhead to the list)

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
I like my combat to have both depth and speed. From what I've played these are my picks
NGB
DMC4
Bayonetta 1
Bayonetta 2
Nioh(Demo only)

I like DeSouls and Bloodbourne a lot but they aren't my cup of tea for best combat of all time.

This gen it's definitely Bayonetta 2 and Nioh that are my picks. Also I'm under the assumption we are talking about action games primarily.(otherwise add Crysis 1/warhead to the list)
I just started playing NGB again. I can't believe how good this combat is after all these years. The camera is a nightmare, but this combat is the best i've ever played in an action game. I SUCK at this game now, but that doesn't take away from how intense the combat scenarios are.

Games that stick out from memory:

Dark Souls 2
Bayonetta
Arkham Asylum
ZOE 2

but Ninja Gaiden Black might be the king. It's still so incredible. I wish a camera patch could be put in. And the ability to use special items like elixir without going into a menu.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
Melee combat:
Bloodborne is pretty much my favorite, though I am currently playing GOW and it's combat is ace.

TPS:
MGSV and Uncharted 4 both are great for me in very different ways.

Horizon Zero Dawn:
Thisis pretty much the best bow combat I have played. The encounters with the machine dinosaurs is just unmatched and thrilling.

GOAT is difficult since there are many great combat systems in different genres.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 (after you've mastered the combat), MGS5 and Witcher 3 for me. Loved them all.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Started God of War...

Had to change the controls the moment I saw them in the options menu haha. Am I doing it right by starting on the hardest difficulty?

Edit: nvm gotta go do something else. Will play in the night tho.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who is currently playing through Nioh I'm not seeing why it gets so many votes for best combat. It's like the developers wanted to copy Dark Souls combat but didn't quite understand why people love it. The game is basically, "what if we make Dark Souls with cheap deaths to artifically increase the difficulty,". In the first few hours I've died from more bullshit mechanics than the entirety of the Souls series and a few clones combined.

Enzo88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
As someone who is currently playing through Nioh I'm not seeing why it gets so many votes for best combat. It's like the developers wanted to copy Dark Souls combat but didn't quite understand why people love it. The game is basically, "what if we make Dark Souls with cheap deaths to artifically increase the difficulty,". In the first few hours I've died from more bullshit mechanics than the entirety of the Souls series and a few clones combined.
I have no idea what are you talking about.

What "mechanics" killed you?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nioh is weird. I think its combat system is indeed quite good, but the encounter design, enemy variety and difficulty balance in general is so poor that it doesn't really make a difference to me.

I also find it lame that so many claim it's inherently better than regular Souls combat just because it's more complex. It's not, they're just different.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
If you really want to know what the combat is all about in God of War, the optional content is where it is at. The game has made me do something I do in some character action games. Some straight Naruto shit where I had to get better at the game RIGHT NOW or I couldn't get past it. There was an encounter I was having hell with and when I finally beat it I didn't get hit once.

This describes it PERFECTLY.
When I got to the forest I seriously thought for the first time since NG2 that I would need to start the game over on a lower difficulty but I perceived and when I beat it I didn't get hit once.
Feels so damn good.

I think Nioh has excellent combat but I never enjoyed fighting against the robots. They just weren't fun and they all start to blend together.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Before last week I would have said Bloodborne or Horizon Zero Dawn for this generation, but now I might have to say God of War. It's just so good. The combat scenario design is just so clever and constantly getting more complex throughout the course of the game.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This gen is Nioh. Of all time and any genre it's guilty gear accent core

If I had to pick a non fighting game then DMC4

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
Any combat videos of God of war that show off how great it is in the hands of a competent player? No doubt it has mobility and combat options, I'd like to see what it' is like when its all put together.

I just started the game and have avoided pretty much all info on the game aside from a couple trailers leading up to release. (When I'm going to buy a game I avoid info on it lol). Hearing this level of praise on its combat is a nice surprise.

i wouldn't call myself competent...far from it. This is like less than one third point of the game with less than half of the skills unlocked...

but still, i am pretty proud of this fight that i managed to not get hit for even once..

iconoclast

Dec 15, 2017
this gen: Bayonetta 2 & The Wonderful 101
all time: Ninja Gaiden II, (power gap), everything else

I don't see anything special about Nioh's combat. It's a step or two more complex than the Souls games, but most pure action games run laps around both of them. It doesn't mean they're not good, they're just simple.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This gen: Divinity Original Sin 2 -- the amount of freedom in that game's combat is unparalleled with anything i've played
All time: That's really hard. Maybe Dragon's Dogma or Divinity OS2.

Oct 27, 2017
If thst spoils the game for me, GoW would be extremely unique. I largely don't care about being spoiled. Whatever the final boss is or whatever doesn't matter. Besides, I'm approaching this entirely on the game's combat. That's all I'm interested in.

I'll load up a late save if early on sucks and I want to see what it's like with stuff unlocked.

Honestly, if it takes a game 30 hours to have good combat that would suck. If it takes 30 hours to appreciate the combat, that would also suck. I doubt GoW has this issue and I'm not investing that much time to give it a go. I can barely finish an 8 hour game as it is lol. It's been a year since... Nioh
This is like jumping into a Ferrari on its fifth gear without knowing how to change gear in the first place. I think most people here will just ignore your opinion on any game if this is how you like to assess a game's mechanic; it is lazy, rushed and impulsive.

D65

Oct 26, 2017

It shouldnt feel anything like Souls combat of you're playing a certain way.

Try low stance with A agility. It's closer to Ninja Gaiden.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
So one thing I like I'm GoW so far is the ability to cancel any chain with a dash.

It feels satisfying rn so I will try and play a bunch more. It's leagues better than other GoW games that's for sure.

I've only done the first fight yet tho.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really feels like a new and fresh Souls-like experience. I do feel that GoW stands on its own though. Souls has just the closest combat system I can directly compare it to. I'm really thankful for that, as Dark Souls 3 was getting a little stale. Here in hard difficulty, the beginnig feels like master the mechanics or perish you fool. I love it.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
This Gen: God Of War- The weight, impact, flexibility, methodical encounter design, and depth while still remaining accessible does it for me. 2nd is Bayonetta 2.
All Time: Ninja Gaiden 2- Fast, frantic, destructive, wide array of weaponry, with the depth of a fighting game.

Blitzhex

Jan 1, 2018
Best combat last last gen: Monster Hunter
Best combat last gen: Monster Hunter
Best combat current gen: Monster Hunter
Best combat next gen: Monster Hunter

Best combat all time: Monster Hunter

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
God of war has some nice player mechanics but just like nioh it's let down in terms of enemy and level design. A good combat system need the complete trifecta, a deep system on its own is just a missed opportunity.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely Nioh. I found the game overall just ok. But the combat is unmatched, the stance fluidity, without being incredibly cumbersome. Genuinely the best I think I've ever seen in a real time action title.

Prior to that, in a different sense, and maybe my all time favorite. Is Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. The things you can do in that game are just awesome, and it's simplistic in a realistic way (Minus the force powers lol). That game was a blast, I can't imagine how good a modern day Jedi Knight game would be.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Nioh is weird. I think its combat system is indeed quite good, but the encounter design, enemy variety and difficulty balance in general is so poor that it doesn't really make a difference to me.

I also find it lame that so many claim it's inherently better than regular Souls combat just because it's more complex. It's not, they're just different.
My experience with Nioh's combat is that it's a lot like DS combat except with a bunch of complexity bolted on all over it that makes it more complex but not necessarily more deep.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Godhand. Use stick to dodge or use an invincible backlflip. All super fast point blank offense and defense in one simple idea. So many dodges strafes and punishes. Plus your face buttons were fully customizable attacks and supers slowed time and were roulette wheel organised instead of input based. Meant the system was universal to any moveset you created. Sound too easy? The less you are hit the stronger the next hit is...you could get one shotted if you go ham too hard and screw up in a crowd. Best system ever.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher 3 is really well done. Can't imagine anything else in that good of a game world.
lowqualitybait.gif

Godhand. Use stick to dodge or use an invincible backlflip. All super fast point blank offense and defense in one simple idea. So many dodges strafes and punishes. Plus your face buttons were fully customizable attacks and supers slowed time and were roulette wheel organised instead of input based. Meant the system was universal to any moveset you created. Sound too easy? The less you are hit the stronger the next hit is...you could get one shotted if you go ham too hard and screw up in a crowd. Best system ever.
It is really something. I'd kill for a current-gen revamp. Surely there's an audience for that... at least on Steam indies?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War (perfect blend of accessibility, depth, fun and challenge) for this generation.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Gosh, no. Persona 5 (and 3/4) have such a mediocre basic battle system, no way it deserves to be called the best anything. As soon as you've worked out the strategy for one fight, you've worked out the strategy for every single fight in the entire game. I honestly struggle to think of a non-atlus rpg I've played that I could describe the battle system as worse than P5.

I personally love it, and I just feel like turn-based RPGs are slowly disappearing, so Persona 5 is one of my favorites. Anyways, I just giving my opinion :)