• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I always loved how you could slowly push doors open in Resident Evil 4, or decide to kick it open mid-push, smacking enemies away in the process

co5o42dat5dzvdkqa6nw.gif

What games have the best door mechanics (peering through keyholes, being able to peak, analog door opening, barricading/breaking doors, etc.)?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the door opening animations in Resident Evil 1/2 were amazing and i wish more games did stuff like that.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I can think of doors used in an interesting way that wasn't to mask load times was Hotline Miami.

Oct 26, 2017
What's more, in the starting village section of RE4, opening doors like that won't alert enemies but booting them will.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I liked in DQXI where you just leave a shop in a town and the sunlight appears, there's no loading screen at all or a transition. It's not new at all, just not used to JRPGs doing that.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The Undertale Door that launched a thousand YouTube channels

YUeuDqO.png

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Fable demon doors. Talking doors that made you do some kind of quest to open them

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Apex Legends' doors are very important. Games can be won or lost depending on how well a squad holds them.
This right here is the answer to the greatest doors ever conceived. They are 100% a gameplay device, making the simple door a massive part of the game's strategy, action, and tactics. The guy who came up with that should be paid handsomely. They are the deal.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The doors in Metroid Prime hide the loading of the next area. That's why it doesn't always open immediately. It's also why the hallways between rooms tend to be filled with things that slow you down.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like doorways in Rainbow Six Siege are an entire microcosm of the game itself, no actual doors mind you, just barricades in place of them, but you could probably watch a twenty minute tutorial on the nuances, tactics and gadget synergy involving successful use of these barricaded doorways on either attack or defense.

Skyward Sword Boss Key being a puzzle to fit into the boss door was a good 'un, one last puzzle for the dungeon.
...guess that's more the key than the door itself, wait what am I saying, can't have a boss key without a boss door, it totally counts.

But hey we always got more memes
NyXTI2-QNB4fDe0n-3y-6As_Bd6rl5v-zv36i9wyGCA.jpg

How would we appreciate Souls world design without numerous locked doors?!

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Being able to peak through keyholes in Dishonoured is a legitimate door mechanic that improves the game. You can also choose to break certain doors instead of finding keys or other pathways.

As far as finding ways to make going through doors satisfying goes, it's always fun to watch Kiryu kicking dudes through doors when he tears through some yakuza hideout's gauntlet challenge.

Jan 11, 2018
Dunedin, New Zealand
Rainbow Six 3 lets you open doors slowly using the mousewheel, which lets you crack a door open just enough to throw a flashbang through or peak a weird sightline.

I also really liked the door destruction in CSGO. Though I can't remember if any competitive maps actually made use of it beyond Nuke.

Nov 17, 2017
tumblr_inline_ol9zvchcEz1qk6f9c_500.gifv

Kingdom Hearts! Lead me into everlasting darkness!!

But uh, speaking of actual mechanics, I always liked the boss doors in Skyward Sword where you had to tilt the puzzle piece to fit into the lock.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
jZyPvv.gif

PT and Mark of the Ninja.
I knew I was forgetting something.
Plus there's the whole thing where you have to lean on the door to get better visibility into the next room, as well as the ol' death door in the gif of course.
Make some noise by the door, let their curiosity lead to their downfall, ahhh

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Just thought of another great door of gaming

You know in Resident Evil remake where there's that handy door near a staircase and save room, boy it's just a really nice door to have, be a shame if repeated usage of it didn't cause the handle to just fall off and lose you a handy traversal route...