• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So I've recently started watching anime again after not watching something regularly for over a year.
And a big part of why I've gotten back into it is that I've watched a couple of shows dubbed, something I usually haven't done, and it's been a lot easier to watch while doing other stuff. It's just felt more relaxing somehow.

So after watching Psycho-pass and re-watching FMA Brotherhood and Death Note, what should I watch next?
Or just list whatever dubs you yourself think stand out.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Hero Academia has a great dub.

Dragon Ball Super has a great dub.

Those are the two I can pick from the top of my head right now.

DangerByrnes

Oct 25, 2017
If you enjoy Attack on Titan i think the english dub is generally better. I think Eren is actually far less annoying and more sympathetic in English.

Oh, Also Erased has probably the best dub ive ever heard.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
The dub for Nana is great. Viz did it, so you'll notice some of the cast returning from DN.

Steins;Gate is incredible. Best dub I've seen in recent years and the script is a big reason why. Don't sleep on that.

Don't sleep on either tbh

Oct 25, 2017
While One Piece has a great dub, it's immensely long and better to get into the manga.

Otherwise, I'd go with Space Dandy

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The English dub for Hunter x Hunter is actually excellent and of course its an excellent shounen in general. Its one of the better dubs I've heard of an anime in a long time. Only issue is that it airs weekly on Toonami so its only about half way through the series. Still its great stuff even a lot of the side characters are well done.

OP
OP
Nakenorm

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cowboy bebop has a great English dub, actually most people prefer it.
Thanks for reminding me! I don't know why but stopped halfway through last time I watched the series.
If you enjoy Attack on Titan i think the english dub is generally better. I think Eren is actually far less annoying and more sympathetic in English.

Oh, Also Erased has probably the best dub ive ever heard.
Erased is another series I enjoyed a lot, might watch it in English whenever I watch it again.
The dub for Nana is great. Viz did it, so you'll notice some of the cast returning from DN.

Steins;Gate is incredible. Best dub I've seen in recent years and the script is a big reason why. Don't sleep on that.

Don't sleep on either tbh
Might check out Nana then, Steins;Gate I'll wait with until after beating the game.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex has an excellent one. Not entirely sure if it's preferred by fans but I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it.
is the series literally stand alone, or should I watch the films before? Haven't seen them in years.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yu Yu Hakusho
Baccano!
Space Dandy
Cowboy Bebop
Kekkai Sensen
Mob Psycho 100
Steins;Gate
Hunter x Hunter 2011 (excellent but unfinished atm)

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
anything released this decade is a safe bet. then you got the classics like others have mentioned.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Cowboy Bebop
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z (English dub with Bruce Faulconer music)
Dragon Ball Super
Samurai Champloo
Baccano
Outlaw Star
Yu Yu Hakusho
Space Dandy

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has the best English dub ever. All characters are genuinely amazing except one certain german character who is so bad it's good.

Though only season 1 is dubbed and I know they were going to dub Stardust Crusaders too but I don't know if they already did. The entire anime will be dubbed eventually that's for sure.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has the best English dub ever. All characters are genuinely amazing except one certain german character who is so bad it's good.

Though only season 1 is dubbed and I know they were going to dub Stardust Crusaders too but I don't know if they already did. The entire anime will be dubbed eventually that's for sure.

The dub for Stardust Crusaders is airing now on Toonami. Its got some good stuff and some bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Ghost in the Shell:SAC amazing dub
DBZ dub is great as well, American music makes a huge difference as well
Steins;Gate

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously I'm gonna plug Gundam, but legit,

The dub for the TV version of the original Mobile Suit Gundam is sublime. You get some cheesy side-character dialogue, and some clunky dialogue pacing is a given, but the performances of some of the characters is simply iconic.
The movie versions feature Steve Blum, but even he is outclassed by his TV version counterpart.

Also Gundam 0080: War In The Pocket. It's got Solid Snake in it.

EDIT: Here's a clip from 1979's Mobile Suit Gundam for reference. If you liked the Death Note dub, you just might appreciate this one.

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't think that sort of humour would fly these days.

Given the surrounding quality of the anime and the characters being shit (both shitty people and shittily written, in and out of their dub) I kinda wanna give it a pass? Basically it's garbage humour for garbage humour sake, and some of it is still really funny.

Most of the suggestion I'd offer are there....The Slayers had a great dub and a wonderful 90s gem.

never

Oct 28, 2017

I loved Steins;Gate so much, and I usually prefer to watch a dub if there is one, but man the first episode dubbed really turned me off it. Maybe I'll have to give it another shot.

Geirskogul

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Death Parade

DeathParade-020415.jpg

theDream

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen many of the ones people have put on the list, but some I have and I disagree.

The dubs in Death Note are absolutely garbage. Even in ones that are a bit better than the rest like Mob Psycho, still not good enough. Lots of tonally wrong voices, this kinda a horrible high pitched voice, like non native English speakers obviously, who all share the same bad voice acting qualities due to their mediocre English abilities.

Unless its some high budget stuff, like an anime movie, It seems like virtually every single time the dubs are significant better. Just everytime. I don't understand Japanese but the voices are richer, almost always far deeper, and have more nuance.

Its a shame. Good dubs would be this stuff more enjoyable, but for the shows they don't really seem to exist.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen many of the ones people have put on the list, but some I have and I disagree.

The dubs in Death Note are absolutely garbage. Even in ones that are a bit better than the rest like Mob Psycho, still not good enough. Lots of tonally wrong voices, this kinda a horrible high pitched voice, like non native English speakers obviously, who all share the same bad voice acting qualities due to their mediocre English abilities.

Unless its some high budget stuff, like an anime movie, It seems like virtually every single time the dubs are significant better. Just everytime. I don't understand Japanese but the voices are richer, almost always far deeper, and have more nuance.

Its a shame. Good dubs would be this stuff more enjoyable, but for the shows they don't really seem to exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPLROqYK9QE