• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Hi ERA need your advice!

What are some of the best family friendly games on the PS4 that I can buy for someone's Birthday ? Something suitable for 11 year old and a 8 year old. I know Spyro and Crash are options.

They have finished Ratchet and Rayman. Is there anything I am missing apart from Spyro and Crash remasters?

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
Tearaway? That seems very child friendly and pretty high quality. Its also pretty cheap AFAIK.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
Overcooked 1 and 2 are very family friendly, but I would recommend playing them with at least two people via couch coop.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts: The Story so Far? Assuming that the kids haven't played the games yet.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Gangbeasts, it will be a hit guaranteed and is a fantastic party game

Spider-Man if it needs to be a disc

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Overcooked 1 & 2
Tetris Effect
Journey
Abzu
LEGO games

If you have PSVR AstroBot

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Kingdom Hearts: The Story so Far? Assuming that the kids haven't played the games yet.

My seven year old daughter got extremely scared by the "sac ghost monsters" in the start of KH1 or 2, can't remember which ones.
I had issues putting her to sleep for a week.

In any case, OP, I've successfully played monopoly with the family on my ps4 but you can also play that on a table ;)

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Gangbeasts, it will be a hit guaranteed and a fantastic party game
Overcooked 1 and 2 are very family friendly, but I would recommend playing them with at least two people via couch coop.
Okay will check out Gangbeasts and Overcooked. But I assume those are digital only games.. Would prefer to get a retail game so that I can gift wrap it ( feels more like a gift ) but if they are really good I guess I will just buy it on the store

Tearaway? That seems very child friendly and pretty high quality. Its also pretty cheap AFAIK.

Yeah totally forgot. That sounds like a good option!

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gang beasts.

Overcooked (but you'll hate eachother after playing it)

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Wow thank you for the recommendations everyone. Best community in the world!

Do you think it will be super difficult gameplay wise? Heard they have super high difficulty spikes.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Okay will check out Gangbeasts and Overcooked. But I assume those are digital only games.. Would prefer to get a retail game so that I can gift wrap it ( feels more like a gift ) but if they are really good I guess I will just buy it on the store

Yeah most of your choices are going to be digital unfortunately, but you can sometimes find discs or the paper codes online. I know Overcooked got a disc release, and i think Gangbeasts did too through iam8bit. Stardew Valley has a PS4 disc as well, but I think that was EU only. Probably way out of your scope here, just thought I'd mention.

Also yes Tearaway is definitely recommended

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017

Do you think it will be super difficult gameplay wise? Heard they have super high difficulty spikes.
I've only played KH1 & 2 but they do have difficulty options ranging from Easy, Normal, Hard, and Hardest. I'm assuming the rest of the games in that collection also have adjustable difficulty. These games are geared towards the same age demo as the kids you are gifting to.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Yeah most of your choices are going to be digital unfortunately, but you can sometimes find discs or the paper codes online. I know Overcooked got a disc release, and i think Gangbeasts did too through iam8bit. Stardew Valley has a PS4 disc as well, but I think that was EU only. Probably way out of your scope here, just thought I'd mention.

Also yes Tearaway is definitely recommended

I've only played KH1 & 2 but they do have difficulty options ranging from Easy, Normal, Hard, and Hardest. I'm assuming the rest of the games in that collection also have adjustable difficulty. These games are geared towards the same age demo as the kids you are gifting to.

Thank you!

To all the Overcooked fans do I get 1 or 2?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

KH1 normal kicked my ass a lot

Chain of Memories BEGINNER kicked my ass a lot

KH2 Normal I'm doing fine so far

But yeah overall recommend putting them on easy if you get it, KH1 and Re:CoM haven't aged well

Whiskeyjack

Oct 27, 2017
Overcooked, Pixel Junk Monster 2 and Yoku's Island Express come to mind. Great games ! Check them out.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
I recently picked up Child of Light as it was on sale (might be over now though). Beautiful game, only played a few hours, so the story looks like it might a few sad twists but my daughter who is 8 is loving it (helps that its a little girl as the main character). Also Rayman Legends (was a PS plus game a while back)EDIT just saw that they had played that, sorry. Both by Ubisoft, both have forms of Co-op play.

NDWest14

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Thank you. Would you recommend Overcooked 1 or 2?

Go with 2, only because based off experience my daughter was having a BLAST playing it with me even though she was just running into a wall the whole time. Besides with games, the sequel 9/10 times is always an improvement and better.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
The Lego games are often taken for granted but some of them are genuinely brilliant.
Lego Marvel is a treasure of a game.

Nov 8, 2017

Absolutely this. My niece and nephew absolutely loved not only the main game but all of the user content that has been made for it as well. It's also really fun to play with additional players so you can join in the fun.

Some others worth checking out- Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, Never Alone, Unravel & Unravel 2, Grow Home.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'll throw in another vote for Overcooked and agree that 1 is a better place to start.