• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DuffMan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pasta bake. A few ingredients and herbs to spice it up and, BAM, a delicious meal in less than an hour.

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
Fried rice is easy and customizable. The only thing is letting the rice cool overnight. Although I get impatient and just make it same day usually. It's delicious with oyster sauce, sesame seed oil and ginger really helping give it a strong aroma and taste.

OP
OP
ASleepingMonkey

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I do a mean chicken and chorizo pasta bake. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, and parsley and away you go. Serve with garlic bread and you have a meal fit for a king.
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Eggs Benedict.

Microwave the Ham and Eggs (have this little plastic device to make the eggs the way you do for it, works really well).
Toast the English Muffin
Heat the packet of Hollandaise Sauce in a pan

Super easy and works better than you'd expect. No major prepwork, just heating things up, and it's very fast.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Biscuits and Gravy.

The biscuits can be store bought (I prefer buttermilk biscuits) or you can find recipes online, they're not hard at all to make. Even drop biscuits could be used if you don't want to bake.

For the gravy:
1lb. bulk pork sausage
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Pinch of salt

Cook and crumble sausage over med.-high heat. Wisk in flour, salt, and pepper. Gradually stir in milk. Cook until it thickens. I like to add a shot of Tabasco sauce before serving.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cheesesteaks, burgers, macaroni, chilli, potato soup...there are so many things that are relatively easy to make with no cooking experience. Shit I just started watching my mom in the kitchen and writing down what I saw.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Big kudos to the mention of risotto. People treat it as a difficult dish because it has to be babied a bit, but there's nothing simpler. I prefer mine with a mixture of dry white wine and broth, with some grated parmesan and artichoke hearts.

Now for my go-to simple recipe - Shakshouka. It's a Tunisian dish that only truly requires two primary ingredients but can be customized endlessly.

Take a whole heap of plum tomatoes and boil them down, maybe using some oil of your choosing. Once the tomato sauce thickens a bit, either from cooking it down or adding some tomato paste or flour, make indents in the sauce and crack however many eggs you can into them. Essentially, your're poaching eggs in a tomato sauce. And you can add whatever other vegetables you want (I like garlic and onions, sometimes fresh basil leaves) alongside whatever spices you like (personally, cumin). A lot of people resort to the immediacy of canned tomatoes, and a ton prefer San Marzano, but I like using fresh. I also don't peel or deseed them; I like cooking with the entirety of an ingredient wherever possible. A crusty bread can be useful to soak up the leftovers, but it's so damned good on its own that I don't even bother half the time.

Here's a slightly more in-depth recipe using feta - https://kitchenstories.io/en/recipes/shakshuka

And a picture to whet your appetite!

shakshuka-superJumbo-v2.jpg

phlpp

Oct 29, 2017
Spaghetti Carbonara, Aglio Olio, and Cacio e Pepe.

Super easy to make. Just don't put cream in the Carbonara sauce (is that just a German thing?), just mix eggs and cheese and then add the still hot spaghetti and bacon/ham, done.

It's a German thing. Adding green peas as well, sadly.

savageturnip

Oct 28, 2017
Cheese & Potato Pie

Since everything else has been mentioned I love this as a way to use left over mashed potato, mix it with some softened onions, plenty of sharp cheddar including extra for the top and then a few slices of tomato on top. Oven for 25 minutes or so and you get a delicious hearty meal, one for winter that's for sure.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
If you are not afraid to bake something then scones are very easy to make. The recipe basically just calls for flour, butter, and sugar. And also the mixture needs to be very wet when you cook it so you don't need to mix and kneed it for ages like with bread. Also because the ingredients are so few the flavor is always bang on. Give it a go!

Bebop242

Oct 28, 2017
I just had company over for dinner which was chilli and they loved it.

2 lbs beef
2 yellow onions
1 orange pepper
4 anaheim peppers
2 packets of store brand chilli seasoning
2 small cans diced tomatoes w chilli spices
1 large can of tomato sauce
2 small cans beans with chilli spices

Crock pot cooking is good and easy as well.

Deleted member 9986

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fried rice is easy and customizable. The only thing is letting the rice cool overnight. Although I get impatient and just make it same day usually. It's delicious with oyster sauce, sesame seed oil and ginger really helping give it a strong aroma and taste.
I never was able to make fried rice but maybe that's because I used just cooked rice? It ends up being some weird substance.
Should you put it in the fridge for a couple of hours or just leave it on the kitchen counter?

Big kudos to the mention of risotto. People treat it as a difficult dish because it has to be babied a bit, but there's nothing simpler. I prefer mine with a mixture of dry white wine and broth, with some grated parmesan and artichoke hearts.

Now for my go-to simple recipe - Shakshouka. It's a Tunisian dish that only truly requires two primary ingredients but can be customized endlessly.
You can also add in meatballs. Thank me later.

Last edited:

cerullo

Oct 27, 2017
Arrabbiata is pretty easy to do and something I've never got tired of.

Like with cooking tasty cheap food I think one of the best things you can do is to make sure you've got a good range of dried herbs and spices in the kitchen to allow you to be flexible. So much stuff goes from ok to delicious with a couple of extra spices.

Linkyn

Oct 27, 2017
One of my go-to lazy yet delicious meals is Carbonara. Takes less than half an hour and is deeply satisfying.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Spam and steamed rice! It's easy if you assume that the person making it (a) owns a rice cooker (b) can summon the energy to add water to rice. You don't even need to fry the spam, it's fine microwaved. The eggs are optional. I can be happy as an idiot sitting in front of the tv watching Futurama with a bowl of rice topped with two slabs of spam.

marimo

Oct 25, 2017
I never was able to make fried rice but maybe that's because I used just cooked rice? It ends up being some weird substance.
Should you put it in the fridge for a couple of hours or just leave it on the kitchen counter?

You can just make rice using less water and it works fine.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Scrambled egg. Whisk those eggs up, cook em, a bit of salt, a bit of pepper. Chop up some strips of smoked salmon and add just before serving.