• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best game of 2013:

• Nintendo

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Sony

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • Sega

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 23 22.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
Shin-Megami-Tensei-IV

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
It's Nintendo without a question for me. Link Between Worlds and 3D World are the only games I really liked that year, and WW HD if you count remasters. Not counting remasters I'm going with LBW.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
2013 is one of my favourite years for gaming. The Last of Us, GTAV, Tearaway, Ni no Kuni, DmC, Puppeteer, Resogun and Bioshock Infinite off the top of my head. Great stuff.

Gotta give it to TLoU though.

Deleted member 4067

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario 3D World
Rayman Legends
GTAV

Cant go wrong with any of these
Havent played Link Between Worlds tho

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
My Top Three
  1. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
  2. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
  3. Gone Home
    Rayman Legends
    Grand Theft Auto V
    Battlefield 4 (actually sucked shit in 2013, but retroactively got good)
    State of Decay
    Super Mario 3D World
    Pikmin 3
    Tearaway
    etc.
As I started scrolling through the wiki page I was like eh, guess 2013 wasn't that good, but then it was.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
Link Between Worlds or 3D World. I often go back and forth on which I prefer but let's be real: there isn't an incorrect choice there.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Animal Crossing New Leaf and Pokémon XY, so yeah, Nintendo done it.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Metal gear rising for me by far, shout out to Tomb Raider and Farcry Blood Dragon. Shit forgot that The Swapper was that year, strong #2. Shadow Warrior was cool too.

Last edited:

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
  1. Antichamber
  2. The Wonderful 101
  3. XCom: Enemy Within
  4. The Swapper
  5. Link Between Worlds
  6. Rayman Legends
  7. The Last of Us
  8. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  9. Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut
  10. Aces Wild

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I dug up my top 10 from back then (last week I was thinking about making a thread where we post our top 10s from every year of the 2010s and talk shit about/praise the genius of our picks), and it is apparently this:

1. Tearaway (Vita)
2. Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS)
3. Gone Home (PC)
4. Antichamber (PC)
5. Saints Row IV (PC)
6. Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk (PS3)
7. Battlefield 4 (PC)
8. The Last of Us (PS3)
9. Remember Me (PC)
10. Metro: Last Light (PC)

Tearaway is lovely and I'd definitely pick it over its PS4 remake a few years later, but I don't think it deserves game of the year. I think recency bias affected my decision-making that year.

In hindsight, Awakening and Gone Home both would've been good picks. Antichamber is still awesome and would've been an outside favourite, just because I don't feel like I've played anything quite like it since. The Last of Us could maybe be higher, but honestly I'm okay with putting it in the second half of my list.

Atelier Ayesha is probably the game I have the fondest memories of now, so fuck it: Atelier Ayesha is my 2020 2013 game of the year.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
Man I forgot how killer Nintendo was from 2013-2014.

2013 had Zelda ALBW, Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3 and Fire Emblem Awakening? That's overkill.

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
Civilization V: Brave New World came out in 2013 and turned the game into something fantastic. Between that expansion and the western releases for Etrian Oddysey IV and Animal Crossing: New Leaf, 2013 was amazing.

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky Route Zero started releasing in 2013. Thrilled we're finally about to get the last chapter in 2020.

There was some other serious quality. Super Hexagon was a phenomenon, fuckin' Far Cry: Blood Dragon, Shadowrun Returns, Steamworld Dig, Papers Please, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Rayman Legends, Puppeteer, Monaco, XCom: Enemy Within, Resogun, Tearaway, and (of course) The Last of Us.

I guess if I was gonna re-do a top ten out of those it might look like:

1. XCom: Enemy Within
  2. Super Hexagon
  3. Papers Please
  4. The Last of Us
  5. Rayman Legends
  6. Monaco
  7. Shadowrun Returns
  8. Kentucky Route Zero: Acts One and Two
  9. Far Cry: Blood Dragon
  10. Tearaway
Honorable mentions: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Puppeteer, Resogun, Steamworld Dig, Rayman Jungle Run and Fiesta

Not exactly the order that I'd play through them again, but I want to honor just how much fun I had with Super Hex and how much time I put into it. I'm also not exactly itching for another playthrough of Rayman Legends (I think Origins was tighter), Blood Dragon, or Tearaway. The Last of Us was a very solid game, but I'm gonna sleep on the sequel until the next gen is out for a while. With the exception of some decent multiplayer, I don't think it had much staying power. As for XCom: EW, it's been superseded by its excellent sequel.

But Shadowrun Returns kicked off an improbable return to a franchise, Monaco would still be fun if someone wanted to do co-op, and Papers Please feels like re-reading a decent short story. All games I'd still fire up if I was in the right mood.

Finally, KRZ is KRZ and I will keep replaying it, but I can't put Acts 1 and 2 too much higher on the list by themselves. I just played through it again in anticipation of Act V. The 28th can't arrive soon enough.

Edit: Oh shit, Gone Home released in 2013? Put that after KRZ and bump Tearaway down in to honorable mention territory. Maybe I would have WiiU and 3DS games on the list, too, but I didn't have those systems and without a re-release probably won't catch up to 3d World, A Link Between Worlds, or Pikmin. If I had the opportunity to play them now, tho, I would.

Last edited:

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Tomb Raider followed closely by Metal Gear Rising and The Last of Us. 2013 was a really special year before even factoring in the launch of the new consoles.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Thread Creation Guidelines

Show Some Effort

Being the Original Poster (OP) of a thread means that it's up to you to provide the foundation for good discussion. When you create a thread, you should include more than just one or two short sentences; make sure that there is enough substance to sustain an interesting conversation. Write as clearly and articulately as possible. Consider whether you're presenting the subject in a way that will generate good discussion. Make sure you are posting the thread in the correct section of the forum, and use the preview feature to double check your work before posting. After creating your thread, consider adding a Cover Image to spruce up its presentation. Do not make provocative threads only to bail on them after the first post. All of the rules outlined in other parts of this document also apply to thread creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.