• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
pcBZw1D.gif

this is the new SH3 old man gif

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That specific scene made me go from 9/10 interested in the game to 4/10. Im very shallow sometimes. That face animation and general look felt terrible to me. I enjoyed the gameplay but that scene man...
Kid Aloy was awful. Luckily it only lasts for like 45 minutes but yeah what a horrid way to open up.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
3luZ.gif

surprised no one has mentioned tomb raider yet
which to me has the best hair yet

I can't stand this weird shiny look a lot of hair this gen has. It does not look right at all, and really bugs me. Tomb Raider does it probably the least offensively (see Dragon Age: Inquisition for the most egregious example), but it still looks so off to me. Hair looks like it's made of plastic. Or wax. It's so weird. It's way to shiny and reflective, and doesn't even look anything like it self shadows. It doesn't look fuzzy. It just looks...idk, really bad. One of my most hated aspects of this gen. Almost akin to last gens BLOOM EVERYWHERE for me.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Lady and Dante looks great but Trish less so. You can really notice she has 3 big physics group in her hair (back and the two sides). All the strands from the right side of her head all move in perfect unison like it's been glued to an invisible paper sheet.
Limitations of realtime rendering. It's much easier to make convincing hair for shorter hair. The effort itself tho is commendable, as all three RE engine titles feature characters with long hair.

Hair's good but the tits are whack. No leather corset is going to move an inch.
I agree with you.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
This is not just an engine performing as it should, it is also the auteurmanship of Capcom's directors and designers and artists, creating for us, male characters with the slickest, sexiest looking hairstyles; the sort that makes girls swoon, the kind that makes the most straight males uncomfortable in their panties; it is Capcom being the rock gods of sexy hair on iconic male heroes!

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ that burger is amazing.
I always thought something felt off about his beard.. It looked very nice and clean (as in no aa/dithering issues) but it just felt... a chunk on something and not really hair beard.. really hard to explain...
Some people (like me) have really wiry facial hair, and that's kinda what our beards are like.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
No, this is the answer of a small team within a 300+ person group that only works on the engine (not games) to the problem of said engine not really having any support for hair/hair physics.
FUCKING THANK YOU

JFC the "devs literally only work on one thing at a time why is this completely unrelated team they working on X instead of X" logic drives me off the wall.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
30529402318_ea39d091fa_b.jpg

44347836642_05aaf2ce3f_o.png

30529403858_fb7bff7c78_o.png

It also moves and behaves very convincing, in stark contrast to Lara's TressFX which might be more advanced and more taxing, but moves and behaves very strange and unrealistic as if Lara was constantly under water.
It's also the sweat. Uncharted 4 had good physics animations for either dry and wet hair. The lost legacy adds sweat. Chloe's hair strains touching their face got sticky while the strains on the farthest from their body are dry.
I think no other game does this.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They all look great but it's very difficult to judge the best unless we split them into -

CGI models.
Cut scene models.
In game models.

FFXV's in game hair is astounding. That engine is fantastic. Anyone know if they're using it for FF16 or they going with UE4?

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
They all look great but it's very difficult to judge the best unless we split them into -

CGI models.
Cut scene models.
In game models.

FFXV's in game hair is astounding. That engine is fantastic. Anyone know if they're using it for FF16 or they going with UE4?

Supposedly the next-gen game Tabata's group was working on is still using it (I believe last we heard this game was still going forward even if Tabata no longer works for SE). Other then that I don't believe there is another game on the engine. There is a cousin version of the engine running for FFXIV, but that was specifically designed for an MMO environments needs and they really haven't been adding some of the stuff they made for FFXV to it so its basically a separate engine completely now. Everything else supposedly is UE4 for next/current gen.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Problem I have with many of the capcom and other Japanese style games is that the hair moves nice but is often too shiney or doesn't look different in different lighting conditions. Aloys hair in Horizon looks like the best of this gen.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously not exactly cutting edge nowadays, but I've always really liked how Team ICO were able to emulate 3D fur on the PS2 by layering transparent polygonal shells over the colossi. It's surprisingly effective, especially at lower resolutions:

shadow-of-the-colossus.jpg

Looking closer at the models you can see the separate layers, each one having a black and white noise texture that gets progressively darker the closer to the skin, with the color generated through vertex coloring. To give the fur direction they simply pushed and pulled different layers across the mesh:

fur_layers.jpg
vertex_color_fur.jpg

They also used the same effect for moss and grass in certain areas. I guess in a way, despite it being pretty old school it's not too dissimilar to some of the techniques more modern games use - by and large games still use "hair cards" rather then rendering actual hair splines after all, and I believe POM mapping is kind of done in a similar way using depth layers, just within a shader rather then actual geometry.

Here's a blog post breaking down the effect with a lot more images.

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
I think Witcher 3 with Hairworks damn good, especially with movements!

Also look how horse hair epic too. :D

http:///o6wd.jpg
http:///v6wd.jpg
http:///p6wd.jpg
http:///q6wd.jpg

Last edited: