• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
GargantuanFragrantAsianelephant-small.gif

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't. The Stamper Brothers did. Nintendo never owned Rare.
You know what I mean. Nintendo did own Rare (49% of it actually) they just never fully owned them. And through this is that for the better part of a decade Rare was the closest to being a first party developer to Nintendo as it gets without actually being one releasing games exclusively on Nintendo platforms. Nintendo sold their 49% to Microsoft and that was the end of it.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Dude that FF combat gif is wild... can you play that solo?
Yes, I've played through comrades and still play it every so often and it's always been solo, you do have other party members but they're replaced with A.I.

I did not realize this game had such incredible animations. I have to play this.
FFXV is one of the best animated games this gen, and certainly for open-world you'd be hard pressed to find another with as much detail and amount of different animations in the game, along with RDR2 of course :D. It's honestly one of the reasons I still play the game from time to time, combat looks gorgeous when you're in the flow of it.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
..................They owned 49%. They didn't own Rare. Big difference when the Stamper Bros. owned the entire other 51%.
Owning 49% means they own Rare, my friend. Not by themselves or by majority but they do owned a significant part of the company that they were able to keep them from making any game in any platform that's not Nintendo's for almost a decade. They also got to play around with many of Nintendo's characters and IPs in a time when you'd never see that from developers that weren't Nintendo, let alone a non-japanese developer.

Nintendo owned almost half of Rare and to say that they didn't have a lot of influence because of it, even if it wasn't 51% or more, is just an objective lie.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
people keep posting that dante gif and its so goofy. his hair having literally the exact same behavior as his leather jacket is silly

the ffxv(?) one is the best imo, but would be better if they toned down the bounce

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Damn... that's the same method I used years and years ago having learned that from an old Blender tutorial. I thought they'd came up with something less tedious and exhausting by now.... thanks for the link.

They have for 3d animation, but its too taxing yet for videogames. At least im glad some studios have the patience to create amazingly well made hair cards.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Not at all in the same ballpark but I want to bring up Gravity Rush series. It is less about individual strands or even realistic movement but more about it moving in a fun manner that adds flavour to the movement. It is a joy seeing the hair flap crazily in the wind as you soar across the skies. The hair changes direction just as gravity does due to Kat/Raven's powers. It is also worth noting that the hair (and Kat's scarf) are designed to be a visual cue for the players, when staying still her hair should flow towards "natural gravity" and not the gravity Kat has altered to.

FA8WDxX.jpg

The hair adds quite a lot of charm and character to the animation. Seeing the hair flow change rapidly helps convey how wild gravity manipulation would be but it still somehow looks fun.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They sure have come a long way, but quite frankly, it still looks incredibly not real. I get that it's not real, but similar to eyes and teeth, hair just constantly looks too off putting to me.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
People keep bringing up Tomb Raider and I don't see it. I keep seeing how individual hairs have angular bends all over the place and it's so unnatural looking because of it (see post above mine, the hair going over the collar of her jacket). The FF series since 13 has had incredible hair rendering for their respective times of release.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
We talking impressive hair tech though, you can see Dante's hair having multiple layers and overlap naturally.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
The best hair i've seen is probably from naughty dog. It's subtle and not overly bouncy like most of these hair physics from other games. I also like how Nathan Drake hair also reacts to the environment, like getting wet and weighing down for a while, something most games don't do.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Uncharted 4 uses VERY well made hair planes, and seems to have a robust lighting engine that helps those planes look great in different light conditions, but at the end of the day the tech is still the old way of making hair, with things like Geralt using hairworks or Alice Madness Reutrns being more advanced.
Hope we have soon techniques that makeit viable to actually render "real" hair with real physics in game easily and for multiple characters.

It will never appears with the current rendering pipeline. the problem of hairworks technology or Aloy hair it generates too much geometry and takes too much resources because current rasterizing is not optimize for subpixel polygon or polygon of pixel size.

https://www.ea.com/frostbite/news/optimizing-the-graphics-pipeline-with-compute

optimizing-the-graphics-pipeline-with-compute-gdc-2016-51-638.jpg

it kills current rasterizing technology and this the reason, we use normal and not displacement map for the details.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I think Japanese games in general often have great natural looking hair, even older games that don't use advanced technologies.

Japanese artists just always seem to be obsessed with getting "floaty" animations right, like hair or scarfs.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hair rendering in Nioh, intricately modelled down to the finest hair strand:

nioh.jpg

Nioh-Hairstyles-1024x576.jpg