• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Managua, Nicaragua
It doesnt have much horror but I think it qualifies for a Halloween-esque Game

until-dawn-listing-thumb-01-us-12aug14

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Condemned: Criminal Origins was one of the best early Xbox 360 games, and it's sequel was solid too.

220px-Condemned_Criminal_Origins.jpg

Anecdote: a friend of mine got Condemned (might have been Condemned 2), and was just starting to play it when I came over one day. He insisted it was really scary. Eventually he got tired and passed the controller off to me. I started a new game and discovered that if you don't get a weapon, you kick instead. So I ran around kicking all the enemies to death. At one point, I kicked a dead body down a flight of stairs. There was also a jump scare where a guy jumps out of a hole, and since I had already seen my friend play through that section, I just kicked him in the face when it happened. At the end of the stage, the game tells you your preferred weapon. Mine was BOOT.

The next time I saw met this friend, he told me that he traded in Condemned. The experience had been too funny and he couldn't take the game seriously as a horror game anymore.

Perturabo

Oct 27, 2017
Spec Ops: The Line for me. Gaze in terror at the horrible person you've become as you drag yourself and your squad further into madness.

Swarley133

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Silent Hill 2 is my favorite. Although, from newer games, I would really like to revisit Resident Evil 7 and Until Dawn soon. Loved those.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EvilWithin . My favorite horror game by a long mile.

Though right now I've been going through RE4 again. Not spooky but so damn good.

JohnDamien

Oct 29, 2017
One of the best, in my opinion, is Eternal Darkness for Cube. I love the sanity effects. I will never forget when i got the deleted save sanity effect. I nearly pissed my pants. And also i love the story and the magic system. I wish there would be a second game.

And also the games from Frictional Games. Especially Amnesia: The Dark Descent and SOMA. First one for his dark and disturbing atmosphere. And the SOMA for his great storytelling.

Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill 1-3.

Other worthy mentions are RE4, Clive Barker's Undying, Realms of the Haunting, The Evil Within 1 and 2, Dead Space 1 and 2 and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Let me remain predictable and add my recommendation for Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.
large.jpg

You'll need the disc and a Wii or a Gamecube to play it, but if you've never tried it, you really should.

Also, Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly.
fatal_frame_2_sae_and_kusabi_xps_by_brunittoss-dasdhu2.jpg

Whole series of PS2 Classics (i.e. play on PS3) are on sale right now. Nothing approaches the atmosphere of these titles.

Soma:
Soma.jpg

I would say all the games above have haunted me long after I was done with them.

prosperoust

Oct 30, 2017
Emeryville, CA
Anecdote: a friend of mine got Condemned (might have been Condemned 2), and was just starting to play it when I came over one day. He insisted it was really scary. Eventually he got tired and passed the controller off to me. I started a new game and discovered that if you don't get a weapon, you kick instead. So I ran around kicking all the enemies to death. At one point, I kicked a dead body down a flight of stairs. There was also a jump scare where a guy jumps out of a hole, and since I had already seen my friend play through that section, I just kicked him in the face when it happened. At the end of the stage, the game tells you your preferred weapon. Mine was BOOT.

The next time I saw met this friend, he told me that he traded in Condemned. The experience had been too funny and he couldn't take the game seriously as a horror game anymore.

That is incredible. The kick was SO satisfying in it, and the ragdoll physics did definitely lead to some smiles from me during the game, too.

MrLuvvaLuvva

Oct 29, 2017
I always try to play through Dino Crisis, RE 1,2 & 3!

This year however I've only played through DC, RE1 and 3 because Friday the 13th and Dead By Deadlight have been dominating my time! They are two fun (and scary) games and perfect to play around Halloween!

silver moose

Oct 27, 2017
REmake HD is probably my favorite ever. I'm sure it's nostalgia for the original RE/REmake, but I adore the game.
Another strong contender is Eternal Darkness, I'd love a sequel or remake/HD remaster.

Honorable mentions;

Silent Hill
PT - though I've only finished it once and even then it was a struggle
Dead Space 1/2
Bioshock

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best horror game ever created is Silent Hill 2. It's honestly not even a contest.
FtW0SH0.jpg
Says Silent Hill 2, posts Silent Hill 1 screen.

Silent Hill is the best horror game imo. It was just so different to every other game that came before it. Truly a masterpiece and a horror classic. The team used sound so well. Never before or since has a game filled me with dread like Silent Hill.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Dead Space series instantly comes to mind.

Resident Evil series.

Silent Hill.

Outlast.

Alien Isolation.

PT.

Amnesia.

Penumbra.

Siren series.

Condemned 1 and 2.

Evil Within 1 and 2.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Silent Hill: 1, 2, 3, 4, Origins, Downpour
Resident Evil: 1, 2, 3, 4, CVX, 0, Remake
Dead Space 1 and 2
SOMA
Siren
Dino Crisis
Martian Gothic: Unification
Parasite Eve 2
The Suffering 1 and 2
Metro 2033
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Sanitarium
Galerians
Pathologic

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
It used to be Dead Space 1 and 2. But since I jumped on the VR train couple weeks ago,they are dethroned. VR-Horror is on a whole different level. Even comparatively mediocre games like Arizona Sunshine or Killing Floor: Incursion are so intense it's crazy. I'm waiting for RE7 to get VR support on Steam in a couple month. Honorable mention goes to Bloodborne because of the creepy atmosphere.

Afterimage

Oct 27, 2017
REmake will always be a classic for me. The first Condemned stands out in my mind too - to this day I still don't trust groups of mannequins.

Haven't played many of the more recent horror games, last proper one I got into was Outlast and the Whistleblower DLC, really enjoyed them too.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
While they're probably not on many peoples best ever list I'd like to give a shout to the Siren games. Their oppressive atmosphere is almost nauseating and reminds me of the movie 'Kairo' at times. There's some interesting mechanics too.

sirenbloodcurse_sc003

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
220px-HauntingGround_NA_PS2cover.jpg

Been playing this the past few days to get into the Halloween spirit. Not a bad game so far being a few hours in. It's a pretty good cheesy horror fest so far.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dead Space is the only horror game that has scared/frightened me while playing it

Got I wish we could get a Dead Space 4

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
PT was a game that scared me so much I had to stop playing, turn all the lights in my apartment on, and wait for my then boyfriend to come home.
I played Resident Evil 7 when I lived alone and was so scared I had to buy a PS Camera and stream the whole experience so I didn't feel so alone and could complete it! I loved it! Speaking of Resi 7, it's lantern demo was my first experience of virtual reality at the PSVR "Future of Play" tour. I was TERRIFIED. I kept pausing it to calm down to the point the woman running the demo asked if I was familiar with the controller. In the end I had to lie and say it was giving me a headache so I didn't embarass myself by screaming on a show floor.

I'm dead brave I swear.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Says Silent Hill 2, posts Silent Hill 1 screen.

Silent Hill is the best horror game imo. It was just so different to every other game that came before it. Truly a masterpiece and a horror classic. The team used sound so well. Never before or since has a game filled me with dread like Silent Hill.

I know right :)

Capt_Shanu

Oct 27, 2017
The Soulsborne games, loved the monster design and the environments.

Runner ups:
System Shock 2.
Silent Hill 2.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think of the Silent Hill games that Silent Hill 3 is my favourite too, though I've always loved the occult elements that so many seem to hate so much.