• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Can't post them all, so here's the top 3

2019 First prize
Frank Force. "Dual Axis Illusion". USA
This spinning shape appears to defy logic by rotating around both the horizontal and vertical axis at the same time! To make things even more confusing, the direction of rotation is also ambiguous. Some visual cues in the video will help viewers change their perception.

2019 Second prize
Haruaki Fukuda. "Change the Color". University of Tokyo. Japan
In this illusion, either downward or rightward motion perception for the dots is possible. Depending on the perceived motion direction, color changes: red and green dots with downward motion, and yellow dots with rightward motion. This suggests that our perception of color is not simply the result of limitations in temporal resolution of the visual system.

2019 Third prize
Ryan E.B. Mruczek and Gideon Paul Caplovitz. "The Rotating Circles Illusion". College of the Holy Cross and University of Nevada Reno. USA
In the Rotating Circles illusion, the true motion of the central circle is unchanging – it simply rotates around a central point. However, the added motion of surrounding circles leads the perceived motion of the central circle to appear "pulled" and distorted. Even though it is continuously rotating, by fixating the white dot the central circle can appear to move up and down, left and right, even in a triangle. As with other dynamic illusions, the effect is strongest when viewed in the periphery. Viewers can confirm that the central circle is always rotating simply by looking right at it.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, there's some fuckery in the second video isn't there? Something seems to change, like the way the dots go, or the framerate I don't know

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, the dual axis illusion is just a retread on older similar ones, but executed to perfection.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, there's some fuckery in the second video isn't there? Something seems to change, like the way the dots go, or the framerate I don't know

That's exactly the point; you're perceiving a change which isn't there. Here is the same illusion implemented in a modifiable way. Have a fiddle and see what you think.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dual axis is a nice remix of one I've seen previously although it's pretty straightforward to see how it works. Colored dots wasn't entirely convincing to me, I think I started to see the beginnings of what they said I should be seeing but it wasn't 100% there for me.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Dual axis is a nice remix of one I've seen previously although it's pretty straightforward to see how it works. Colored dots wasn't entirely convincing to me, I think I started to see the beginnings of what they said I should be seeing but it wasn't 100% there for me.
It took me like three watches, but then it was pretty cool and exactly what they said it was

took 3 because they couldn't spend 5 seconds not throwing up text boxes in front of it

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of difficult to force your brain to perceive the motion of the squares as horizontal in the 2nd video, but if you can do it, it does what it says it would do. It's easiest to do it in that segment where the screen is covered with blue boxes - watch the bottom right portion, and try to track it with your eyes from left to right.

3rd one should have been the winner IMO. The winner is like a less visually interesting version of the spinning ballerina.