• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Thread byKwigo

As I got older and got less and less time to play, there are a lot of games I wish I could experience, but I simply don't have the time for it.
Since I'm more of a story > gameplay type of guy, I don't mind watching some games while working/doing chores/whatever instead of playing them myself. I'm guessing there are other people here who are in the same situation, so why not share the best games that can be watched while doing something else and the best let's players.

Here are my picks, from the last year of watching games instead of playing them:
Best games:
All of Resident Evil
Chrono Trigger (If the player reads the text)
Final Fantasy (if the player reads the text)
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Dead Space 1-3
Alien Isolation

Best Let's Players:
(I personnally don't have any favorites)

I'll update post #4 with Era favorites, so don't hesitate to contribute!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Best let's player:
Northernlion

The man manages to have the most mundane yet interesting conversations with himself after probably like 2000 hours of recorded content.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well I didn't have time to pick up post #2, so I guess I'll make the list in this post :)

Best Games:
  • All of Resident Evil
  • Chrono Trigger (If the player reads the text)
  • Final Fantasy (if the player reads the text)
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • Dead Space 1-3
  • Alien Isolation
  • XCOM
  • Total War series

Best Let's Players:
  • Team Four Star
  • Kizuna AI (JP channel it seems)
  • Northernlion
  • ChristopherOdd
  • SeriousGaming
  • OverTheGun Link
  • GameGrumps Link
  • NarcolepticNugget Link (R6 Siege)
  • Rhykker Link (Diablo III)
  • Helloween4545 Link (Horror Games)
  • Kikoskia Link
  • Epicnamebro Link
  • TehNevs Link
  • Adults Only Minecraft Link
  • AvoidingThePuddle Link
  • Allisonbyproxy
  • Jesse Cox Link
  • The Super Beard Bros Link
  • LobosJR
  • Super Best Friends Play
  • German Spy
  • LaFave Bros Link

Last edited:

Ebenezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My favs right now are ChristopherOdd and a guy named Costin whose YouTube channel is named SeriousGaming. Both are real even keeled, no shilling, non obscene, non vulgar, generally intelligent people.

Favorite games to watch.... I guess strategy games like XCOM and the Total War series. I like to hear the decision making and rationale behind the moves.

n00bp

Oct 28, 2017
OverTheGun!!!

My all time favorite Let's Player, I've been watching him fail at games for 10 years now (wow! time flies!)

He has a charming dialect, a laid back attitude and a penchant for completely failing (hence the name of his seires, How To Successfully Fail, or HTSF)

This is one of his best moments, trying to use the Nikita in MGS :D

Other good ones:

GameGrumps - Arin and Dan, two all around fun guys, and probably the most famous Let's Players.

NarcolepticNugget - for some funny R6: Siege gameplay

Rhykker - Diablo 3 streamer, nice and chill guy with a great community

as for specific games: it doesn't really matter to me, as long as the LPer has a voice I like and has a "hook" (funny, skilled etc)

Oct 29, 2017
Don't really watch let's play personally. But I do watch streams on Twitch, favorite streamer being AvoidingThePuddle, dude is hilarious.

Best game in my opinion are racing games, horror games and fighing games. But can honestly watch any game as long as streamer is entertaining.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Don't really watch let's play personally. But I do watch streams on Twitch, favorite streamer being AvoidingThePuddle, dude is hilarious.

Best game in my opinion are racing games, horror games and fighing games. But can honestly watch any game as long as streamer is entertaining.

Aris is awesome. I really dig his horror playthroughs.

Starfighter

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I only watch let's plays to get advice when I'm stuck in a particular game. I don't watch them just to watch them. That said, two of my favorite finds during this is TehNevs (extremely thorough and relaxed walkthroughs) and Adults Only Minecraft(everything Minecraft by adults for adults - this is a matter of taste I guess and I'm personally not very fond of the "HEYEYYYYYY-GUYS-WAZZUP-ITS-YOUR-BOI-COOLDICKKILLER97-TIMEFORMOREMINECRAFTLOLLLL" type of youtubers).

Krypton115

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm not big into Let's Plays myself, only channels that do Let's Plays I really follow are Jesse Cox and The Super Beard Bros and even from them I don't watch every single second of ever single video. I enjoy playing video games myself way more than watching other folks play them I guess.

Sidenote: I do love me some Funhausvideos. Favorite YouTube channel for sure.

Oct 27, 2017
I personally love watching LobosJR for his dark souls challenge runs and also Super Best Friends Play for the obscure games they play. My favorite Let's Play is Deadly Premonition that Super Best Friends played through. Introduced me to the game and I love it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno about games or let's players in general that are good, but supergreatfriend's LP of Deadly Premonition is fucking amazing and I will never stop linking it to these kinds of threads

Gonna check that Oblivion let's play, could be interesting. Never really got into the game but I've always been very interested in it.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've updated my post with all your recommendations, will update further and add missing links as soon as I got a moment :)

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Not really "the best" but I'll list a couple which I really enjoy watching.

CohhCarnage - Variety streamer that plays the big games, franchise playthroughs and MMO's. Really chill dude with a fantastic community. Mainly on Twitch but uploads everything to YouTube as well.
Scary Game Squad - jirard khalil's and Jessy Cox's group of friends play Horror games, their banter is fantastic. The videos can be found on the channel of Jessy
Bikeman - Twitch streamer with a great sense of humor, usually plays whatever he likes, whenever he likes but his sessions are usually 13 hours long when he comes on.
Jessy Cox himself's also very enjoyable to watch.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Does DFactor count? He plays but he doesn't commentate them at all. I find his stuff best when I want to revisit a game for nostalgic purposes but can't be bothered playing myself. He mainly focuses on PS One stuff.

His stuff is highly curated to be perfect runs but I just really like his style - in that there really isn't any.

https://www.youtube.com/user/dfactorxx

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone interested in a Morrowind Let's Play should try out A Wandering Orc Plays Morrowind.

It doesn't have a ton of views, which is a real shame, because it's a blind LP that's funny, well edited, and goes pretty deep into the lore. I highly recommend checking it out, it's my favorite ongoing LP right now.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My favourite is the SuperBestFreinds (just type best friends play and you'll find them).

The reason is because they're genuinely just friends having fun playing games, and they have worked in the industry and can provide some great insight.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Super Best Friends Play (Heartily reccomend either their Resident Evil 4, Until Dawn or Deadly Premonition Playthroughs)
Good ol' ChipCheezum (I don't think there's a better advertisement for Metal Gear Solid 3 - let alone a better LP)

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Kay Plays was always my favorite, especially for her playthroughs of the Souls games. She's very attentive and methodic going through them, I'd def. recommend watching her run of Dark Souls 1. She's not active anymore though, last update was a year ago.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not likely to be a popular opinion, but I enjoy watching DarksydePhil. He's not the greatest player, but he provides a good commentary and I find him amusing (especially when he gets stuck).

Also his reviews (on separate channel KO Gaming) are surprisingly good.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I adore Video Games Awesome. It's a decidedly casual style of let's play, and some people might find their setup off-putting at first, but they're a really warm, funny show to just throw on in the background. Also a big fan of the Super Best Friends.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I can't find the link to it now, but the let's play of Sonic 2 Special Edition for the SEGA 32X is the best one.

Deathman

Oct 25, 2017
No achievement Hunter love in here? I admit their content has dipped in the past year but they still put out some solid videos

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For lesser known Souls runs, check out TheUrbanOrb's Dark Souls NG+7 with restrictions run. More than just how impressive the run itself is, the guy has some truly unique insights about the game you won't hear from Franz/ENB and has some very inspirational life philosophy. Criminally low view counts.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The Runaway Guys
Chuggaconroy
ProtonJon (mostly a streamer now)
Nintendocaprisun

All of them deserve a lot more love then they get here. TRG is a great channel for seeing 3-4 player multiplayer of games that its normally hard to see the multiplayer modes of, and Chugga and Jon do a crazy level of detail in their lets plays with lots of guides and info in the videos.

kaospilot

Oct 25, 2017
Two best friends/Super best friends are the only LPers/Streamers that I watch. I find it real hard to not get annoyed by anyone else.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's an easy one for me, Christopher Odd.

Discovered his channel with X-com 2 but I dug into his let's plays, he has a lot of good content. I enjoyed more his Divinity OS 2 vids than playing the game myself.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Some LP/LPer recommendations:
  • supergreatfriend (not to be confused with SBFP) has some good LP's. I enjoyed their Illbleed and Siren LP's, still have to catch up on the Killer7 one but that's very in-depth.

• batman9502's Legend of Legaia was an LP I enjoyed watching. The LPer does make the effort to read out the text, they're fairly familiar with the game and they even edit out grinding.

• BrainScratch Commentaries' playthrough of the Crash 1 remake was also good, since they had a good knowledge of the old game too.

• HellFire Commentaries' LP of Simpsons Hit and Run was also enjoyable enough to watch.

• The Ratchet and Clank 3 Developer Commentary playthrough is also really, really good if you're a fan of UYA.

• I also recently got into TheSeraphim17's channel. They seems to do a lot of self-imposed challenge runs.

If you're taking streamer suggestions (all of the following upload streams to YT afterwards):
  • lordbbh is pretty great for his Mame Roulette streams. He has a background in arcade and fighting games, so it's always worthwhile when a game he's familiar with comes up.

• DDRJake, I don't watch as often, but I still enjoy. He seems to do mostly strategy games but I like their Weekly One-Shot and Two Hours of Hell videos.

• Shooting Game Weekly is also fairly good. They mostly cover STG's but have done other genres (see their Awesome Game Replays playlist. I'd recommend the Time Crisis and Die Hard Arcade replays). They usually get someone knowledgeable about a game on stream, and then they go over and explain what happens in the replays. I find their videos to be very informative.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They've been mentioned quite a few times already, but Super Best Friends are definitely a favorite of mine. Dunno if I have a specific favorite LP, but their Friday Night Fisticuffs/Saturday Morning Scrublords series is definitely recommended for fighting game fans.

Though he mostly streams now, ProtonJon is one I've been following for a long time. In particular, his (currently unfinished) Superman 64 LP is a good combo of insight into the game's production and laughing at all the glitches he encounters. He also has a collaborative channel, TheRunawayGuys with Chuggaaconroy and NCS.

OneyPlays sometimes make some bad Newgrounds-level edgy jokes, but outside of those moments I think they make me laugh the hardest. Crash 2 is kind of the series for them, but I'd also recommend the video of Simpsons Hit & Run they did on the Game Grumps channel.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Best let's player:
Northernlion

The man manages to have the most mundane yet interesting conversations with himself after probably like 2000 hours of recorded content.

Yeah, it's unbelievable how he can just go on and on about absolutely mundane things and make them really interesting at the same time. Easily my favorite.

I also like the Super Best Friends, but I don't watch them as much as I used to, mainly because I have no interest in most of the games they played lately. One other LP'er that I really like is EpicNameBro, although he turned into a streamer lately, his Dark Souls 1 lp is still the best Dark Souls LP ever made. His streams are also really entertaining, and he archives most of them on YouTube.

Vesves

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Aside from some of the ones I know that have already been mentioned, I really like Mr. Fruit on Youtube. He just seems like a really cool guy who isn't full of himself and just wants to have fun and entertain people. He does a lot of Destiny and Overwatch but I also really like when he just hangs out with a chill game like Slime Rancher.