• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best looking open world game this generation?

• RDR2

Votes: 1,258 64.1%
  • Horizon Zero Dawn

Votes: 704 35.9%

• Total voters

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn, but only just. Both are the two very best looking games this gen imo. Horizon pips it by the smallest of margins because for me it still has a slightly more interesting, exaggerated and stylised palette, art direction and models, that offer slightly more striking aesthetics. I do however think RDR2 is more technically accomplished overall, though it isn't without its blemishes either, eg gameplay character models and certain textures up close, as well as the use of TAA. I re-played HZD (Frozen Wilds and campaign) directly after RDR2 and they trade blows tbh. Side note, Forza Horizon 4 is also up there as one of the best looking open-world games this gen too.

Horizon | PS4 Pro gameplay

kUhsXz.png

633HorizonZeroDawntrade.jpg

V7e6np.png

Horizon%20Zero%20Dawntrade_20180411042212_Snapseed.png~original

YhsoCE.png

E2h38z.png

Horizon%20Zero%20Dawntrade_20180417021655_Snapseed.png~original

Horizon%20Zero%20Dawntrade_20170303234954.jpg~original

befHorizonZeroDawntrade.jpg

7d7HorizonZeroDawntrade.jpg

a29HorizonZeroDawntrade.jpg

d05HorizonZeroDawntrade.jpg

24HorizonZeroDawntrade.jpg

MtGBG6.png

Horizon%20Zero%20Dawn%2005.jpg

MoH7FK.png

Horizon%20Zero%20Dawntrade_20170303020763.jpg~original

GDC2017_VanGrinsven_PlayerTraversalMechanics.jpg

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
RDR 2 in native 4K on the X. Game also does not feel like as artificial as HZD, open world in that game feels like set dressing.

RDR 2 feels lived in and almost like a real place,

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Horizon Zero Dawn, but only just. Both are the two very best looking games this gen imo. Horizon pips it by the smallest of margins because for me it still has a slightly more interesting, exaggerated and stylised palette, art direction and models, that offer slightly more striking aesthetics. I do however think RDR2 is more technically accomplished overall, though it isn't without its blemishes either, eg gameplay character models and certain textures up close, as well as the use of TAA. I re-played HZD (Frozen Wilds and campaign) directly after RDR2 and they trade blows tbh. Side note, Forza Horizon 4 is also up there as one of the best looking open-world games this gen too.

Horizon | PS4 Pro gameplay

kUhsXz.png

633HorizonZeroDawntrade.jpg

V7e6np.png

Horizon%20Zero%20Dawntrade_20180411042212_Snapseed.png~original

YhsoCE.png

E2h38z.png

Horizon%20Zero%20Dawntrade_20180417021655_Snapseed.png~original

Horizon%20Zero%20Dawntrade_20170303234954.jpg~original

befHorizonZeroDawntrade.jpg

7d7HorizonZeroDawntrade.jpg

a29HorizonZeroDawntrade.jpg

d05HorizonZeroDawntrade.jpg

24HorizonZeroDawntrade.jpg

MtGBG6.png

Horizon%20Zero%20Dawn%2005.jpg

MoH7FK.png

Horizon%20Zero%20Dawntrade_20170303020763.jpg~original

GDC2017_VanGrinsven_PlayerTraversalMechanics.jpg

Beautiful shots. Seriously nib, these are really stunning.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just got the complete collection of Horizon to do the DLC and when I initially loaded it I was in awe for about 5 minutes. Then the god awful dialogue at the start of the DLC and strange animations, super easy climbing...overall look of how it all moves really tarnished the game instantly for me. Love the sound design but man....I have some issues with Horizon.

Overall, Red dead 2 by a large gap.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Both are the top of their leagues but in respect to different aesthetic goals. RDR2 is going for cinematic realism, but HZD is clearly shooting for a hyperreal aesthetic -- in fact, I seem to recall the creative team designing the game around the idea that every location and time of day is the most idealized presentation of that biome and time of day possible.

In that sense I don't really feel like the two games are competing with each other visually outside of just trying to throw as many effects and details on the screen as possible. HZD's closest analogue IMO is something like Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I would say RDR 2 overall. It is just consistent across the board from a macro to a micro perspective...helped by both great LoD and also a lot of unique assets. I would say character models are better in Horizon, but they didnt quite get sense of scale and the intergration of biomes as convincing as RDR 2. That game has a sense of place which I have rarely seen in games.

That said, RDR 2 also highlights that there is a lot of room for improvement. General geometry has a room for a very large amount of improvement. I would say Deathstranding for instance has more convincing topography and geology. RDR2 has fairly blocky mountains cliffs, etc.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just got the complete collection of Horizon to do the DLC and when I initially loaded it I was in awe for about 5 minutes. Then the god awful dialogue at the start of the DLC and strange animations, super easy climbing...overall look of how it all moves really tarnished the game instantly for me. Love the sound design but man....I have some issues with Horizon.

Overall, Red dead 2 by a large gap.

Complaining about climbing and movement in comparison to RDR2 seems super weird to me, given RDR2 has considerably more tanky, imprecise and often times janky controls and movements, to the point where falling a few inches can sometimes lead to a 5-second long unrealistic collapsing animation, and other times it takes multiple attempts to do even simple things like roping your horse to a post, due to how cumbersome the process can be.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Complaining about climbing and movement in comparison to RDR2 seems super weird to me, given RDR2 has considerably more tanky, imprecise, floaty and often times janky controls and movements, to the point where falling a few inches can sometimes lead to a 5-second long unrealistic collapsing animation, and other times it takes multiple attempts to do even simple things like roping your horse to a post, due to how cumbersome the process can be.

It may feel janky to you but the world and animation feels and looks better imo. In horizon it feels like there are robots in so many places, like every two steps.

It's like rockstar have the confidence and experience to let the world breathe while Horizon is a constant attack on the senses. You can't just enjoy the world IMO, and ultimately feels false for it. The uncharted push up to climb this entire section is so immersion breaking for me that it ruins the overall experience.this affects my overall view of the world as the animation and feel of the game just doesn't make the world feel real.

I still like Horizon and I platinum-ed it, but it does not compare to RDR2 at 4k imo.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon's world is flat, visually repetitive and all-around samey looking. Has a real procedural and/or copy-paste feel to it.

Seldomly have I read something this false on this site.
The repetitive, samey, procedual and copy-paste world of Horizon Zero Dawn:

33319715338_2f2f88be19_o.png

33319718028_18b559a550_o.png

48314635741_2eef396c07_o.png

48314636611_d5ffabab43_o.png

48314761021_cd25f2321d_o.png

48314762501_8b334a8b83_o.png

48314801771_df7565d724_o.png

48314824516_7ac3c34890_o.png

33427430241_115d140083_o.jpg

39651341651_56c53ac85f_k.jpg

25098016957_b187373da6_k.jpg

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HZD is nice but completely sterile.

RDR2 feels like another world that actually exists.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
uh, what? Check again. Didn't edit anything.

Edit: Oh...

tenor.gif

Congratulationsyouplayedyourself.gif

:p

Seriously though, HZD looking repetitive is one of the weirdest complaints against the game lol. You wanna talk repetitive ? most of RDR2's meadows and grasslands look almost the same. And, once you are able to get down to the southern half of the worldmap .. that area looks incredibly drab and dull.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
RDR2 for me which is odd, because i usulally go for colour and artistic direction over realism.

But HZD looks incredible, but sometimes it's a bit too 'much'? if that makes any sense. Like theres alot going on.

Red dead consistently made me go 'fucking hell this looks to real' and felt like the world was alive.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It may feel janky to you but the world and animation feels and looks better imo. In horizon it feels like there are robots in so many places, like every two steps.

It's like rockstar have the confidence and experience to let the world breathe while Horizon is a constant attack on the senses. You can't just enjoy the world IMO, and ultimately feels false for it. The uncharted push up to climb this entire section is so immersion breaking for me that it ruins the overall experience.this affects my overall view of the world as the animation and feel of the game just doesn't make the world feel real.

I still like Horizon and I platinum-ed it, but it does not compare to RDR2 at 4k imo.

Your post is conflating completely different points. I wasn't referring to game and world design, but climbing and movement, which is what you referenced.

And perhaps having more fluid and accessible controls and movement mechanics is a negative point to you, but those things are positives for me. Quick climbing is also no more or less immersion-breaking than RDR2's unrealistically cumbersome controls and movements, nor the auto-aim shooting. Hell, Arthur Morgan controls and moves like a 70-year-old drunk in comparison to Aloy's athleticism, fluidity and precision.

From a gameplay perspective, the control limitations in RDR2 were far more stifling, since it sometimes made simple climbing and exploration oftentimes unnecessarily frustrating, and in fact, far more difficult than some of these things would be to do in real life.

Don't get me wrong, I loved and enjoyed both games, but HZD's controls and movement are considerably more polished, refined and well-implemented imo. Seems like a weird complaint to me versus RDR2 of all games, a title that is known for having cumbersome and unrealistically frustrating controls and movement.

Last edited:

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
RDR2 is technologically superior because it brings the whole package ( and finally we get to play a massive open world game with barely noticeable pop in, about damn time !! ) but I don't know, i found HZD more impressive visually. I barely took any pictures of RDR2 but I took hundreds of HZD, the world looks so good, and that vegetation though.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta go with my heart and say Horizon. RDR2 is probably pushing out stronger tech, but it also looks pretty boring. Horizon is way more my style.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Your post is conflating completely different points. I wasn't referring to game and world design, but climbing and movement, which is what you referenced.

And perhaps having more fluid and accessible controls and movement mechanics is a negative point to you, but those things are positives for me. Quick climbing is also no more or less immersion-breaking than RDR2's unrealistically cumbersome controls and movements, nor the auto-aim shooting. Hell, Arthur Morgan controls and moves like a 70-year-old drunk in comparison to Aloy's athleticism, fluidity and precision. The control limitations in RDR2 were far more stifling, it sometimes made simple climbing and exploration oftentimes unnecessarily frustrating, and in fact, far more difficult than some of these things would be to do in real life.

I completely get where you're coming from, I can see how so many had issues with Red Dead 2. For me it was a strange thing, it just felt right for me. I didnt expect him to be agile and I think it worked for RDR2. I am one of the strange people that rarely had issues with RDR2 and for as many times as I stumbled with a quick turn etc I had similar issues with aloy getting stuck on a rock or something while trying to spear an enemy. I often had strange things in Horizon.

But yeah, for me overall look and movement and everything leans heavily to RDR2 for an incredible looking open world game. It's genuinely breathtaking with it's vistas etc and looks like a painting.

Horizon is great looking but outside of the robot designs, which are phenominal I don't think it's any where near as impressive as RDR2.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Out of those 2 I'd have to vote RDR2, but I wouldn't say either are. Should have a "neither" choice.......

Feb 10, 2018
The AA method both in Horizon and rdr2 is really quite awful, makes them look so soft and blurry, gives it that 1990s cgi look.
But rdr2 in native 4k looks better, hzd on the pro looks almost noisy in motion and some textures are really ugly.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think RDR2 just tops it for me, they have Naughty Dog tier animation quality in a massive open world. RDR2 is probably the most how da fuck did they pull this off game ever for me. I know the answer is a fuck load of time, talent and money.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
I think Horizon 2 would massively benefit from either larger biomes or subtler ones. The transition between desert/woodland and mountains is just a bit too sudden whereas larger games like RDR2 or Wildlands really nail the natural transition.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Without a question, Horizon takes the crown on the technical perspective. Resolution, texture quality, performance, 3D models, post fx are far more impressive.

On the Artistic side, Red Dead Redemption has way more nuances of lighting, natural interaction, it has more, but not better for my perspective.

It's just a matter of quality and quantities. And when I mean quality, both of them are excellent in that department. Quantity.... RDR2 is way bigger.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I respect RDR more because it is attempting to be authentic

But seeing the transparent leaves where the moonlight is seeping through left me in awe when playing HZ:D

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 is more impressive from a detail level overall even though the sci-fi enemies are more unique and interesting in HZD.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
This is hard.

I chose HZD because robo dinosaurs on huge landscapes but RDR2 is quite a stunner as well.

Even now I'm still debating which one is actually better.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Some amazing Horizon Zero Dawn environment shots by xenogenesis:

36592227546_f3edb5e105_o.png

36500807381_7fd457b1fd_o.png

36592242506_38103de61f_o.png

36242247610_9566ed9058_o.png

36500802821_a7154227e3_o.png

37289207174_77bbf89faf_o.png

36652495965_140725a400_o.png

35829825873_5a7d625f32_o.png

36242249250_cba821e8a8_o.png

I hope I never hear the game world is "samey", "procedual" and "copy-paste" again, lol.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
On HDR sets HZD is way better looking than RDR2. Even on the new "Game" HDR setting it's off the mark, everything is too colorful but there's a bit more range in brightness, but HDR is still pretty medicore in RDR2.

It's a strange poll though, you know everyone that doesn't own a PS4 is jumping hitting in that RDR2 radio button. A poll for PS4Pro owners that played both games thoroughly would be a better sample. This is coming from a big fan of RDR2 that is a few hunting requests away from 100% (damn you Algernon). Longtime Rockstar fan since GTA:VC. HZD looks better.