• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best looking open world game this generation?

• RDR2

Votes: 1,258 64.1%
  • Horizon Zero Dawn

Votes: 704 35.9%

• Total voters

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
R* makes the best looking open worlds.... So it's kinda hard to vote for any other game. They're pretty much my bar for visuals each generation.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
RDR2 on X is my pick. Its the best looking game of this generation.

Horizon is damn good too, but it feels too sterile and lifeless at times. Still up there with the best tho.

Also horizons facial animation looks horrible as well. Its puzzling how the rest of the game looks so good, while facial animations are ripped straight from bethesda games.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Horizon just pips it based on asset quality and art style. RDR is a bit too washed out and a bit too grounded in its creativity. It's background systems are what make RDR 2 impressive to me moreso than its visuals.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon blew my mind back in 2017 and still is incredible,but RDR2 is even more impressive,has set a new bar,it will only be surpassed with the next gen open world games,like GTA V back in 2013.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's RDR2 and it's not even remotely close. Every square meter seems handcrafted. No matter where you point the camera at, it looks amazing.

Horizon's world feels flat, visually repetitive and all-around samey looking. Has a real procedural and/or copy-paste feel to it. It looks amazing when I see screenshots of the game, but when I actually played it I wasn't really feeling it.
I couldnt disagree more. I would give the edge to RDR2 due to its realistic looking natural lighting vs the more fantastical and exaggerated look of Horizon's world, but the difference between the two games isnt as stark as you are making it out to be.

Around 70% of Horizon's world is set in a forest and yet every time i entered a new forest, the game managed to make it look different. I never thought it looked repetitive. RDR2 simply has more variety, but Horizon looks amazing in pretty much every area apart from maybe the opening area which looks drab and boring.

Here are some of the shots I took of areas that just made me go whoa i need to take a screenshot. notice how different they all look and more importantly feel. i added no post processing effects.

C6SbzJ_WgAAvc8t.jpg:large

C55MpUNXEAEd7L_.jpg

C6NegzKXEAABbxZ.jpg

C6ScP6JXMAIUCm6.jpg

C6ieSpXVoAEsjPk.jpg

C6DqzcbWMAE1U4P.jpg

C6DqxR5WUAAck1j.jpg

Again, to me RDR2 is the greatest looking game ive ever played but two years ago when I first played Horizon, it had the best cinematography, best art direction and best atmosphere of any game i'd played this gen. it was like playing a movie created by hollywood cinematographers and CGi artists.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's very close between these two. What puts RDR2 over the top for me it's its lighting and weather systems. It's simply mind-boggling the amount variation these two systems bring to the game. And it looks stunning almost 100% of the time.

PS: Man, people really show their biases in this kind of threads.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Shadow of the Colossus sure is a beauty, and very underrated in that regard. I remember Digital Foundry stating in their video about it that it was also in their mind one of the visually most impressive open worlds so far.
Here's a collage of some photos that I took of the game:

48316685222_fc264de3bb_o.png
You just made me buy it from the sale. Damn it.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
"Beautiful" doesn't mean "most technically impressive". Beautiful is an adjective to describe the rendering based on both technical and artistic components.

Therefore I'd say Horizon.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
For these two i will hand it to RDR2 but i honestly thought days gone looked better than HZD

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
F0mPQU1.gif

I just recently played this and the whole DLC section is straight up a masterpiece IMO. I've never played anything that captured the feeling of a snowy landscape so well. This shit straight up looks CG. The animations, the art work, the snow crunch. Horizon as a franchise went from "I guess I'll play it eventually" to

"I will buy a ps5 day one if Horizon 2 is on it. No questions asked"

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Again, to me RDR2 is the greatest looking game ive ever played but two years ago when I first played Horizon, it had the best cinematography, best art direction and best atmosphere of any game i'd played this gen. it was like playing a movie created by hollywood cinematographers and CGi artists.

From the guy himself, HZD's art director, mission statement for HZD was basically to make a game that looks like NatGeo's documentaries - that "enhanced" , better than real-life look. They never aimed for verisimilitude.

effin

Jan 20, 2019
Not bad, but clearly let down by the poor lighting and weak art direction.
Are you referring to the screenshots/gifs specifically? Or the game itself?

Cause I'm quite surprised by the amount of comments complaining about RDR2s lighting, it has one of the most impressive (and most beautiful) lighting systems I've ever seen in a game - if not the most impressive I've ever seen.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Red Dead Redemption 2. i've played both and Horizon looks gorgeous

but Red dead? the Animations, The landscape, Weather changes, The snowy mountains then back down to a swamp pit...Its just beautiful.

Half the time i didn't want to do anything in the game but ride my horse and hunt. I can only imagine what the PC release will look like.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Rdr2. It's a newer game with newer tech. It's close but rdr2 is the better looker while horizon is more fun to play.

Can't wait for the future of the Decima engine though after the stuff kojipro committed to it

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Are you referring to the screenshots/gifs specifically? Or the game itself?

Cause I'm quite surprised by the amount of comments complaining about RDR2s lighting, it has one of the most impressive (and most beautiful) lighting systems I've ever seen in a game - if not the most impressive I've ever seen.

Oh I agree with you, RDR2 is incredible. Sorry, my original comment lacked an /s.

Just before those pics were posted someone mentioned that the lighting and art direction in RDR2 were not great. Crazy huh?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Oh I agree with you, RDR2 is incredible. Sorry, my original comment lacked an /s.

Just before those pics were posted someone mentioned that the lighting and art direction in RDR2 were not great. Crazy huh?

Lmao, I Was about to jump on you as well. Yeah, I don't see how anyone could call RDR2's lighting poor. It's probably its strongest graphical trait along with its insane LoD system.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Horizon is "copy-paste" and "bog-standard" then we're in much better shape than it would seem by the tone of the thread.

If we're comparing only still shots to still shots, then things like reactive foliage and control schemes are moot. Also aesthetics are different from game to game so any screenshot could be the best looking.

Leaving out PC because PC doesn't define generations. And non-open world games like Uncharted, and open games without day/night cycles like God of War and Marvel's Spider-Man.

Just fired up RDR2 again to refresh my memory and compare. Plenty of non-reactive foliage on offer here. NPCs like Pearson continue to look suboptimal. But Arthur and his horse continue to appear supremely integrated into the world, particularly when galloping. The lighting is very effective, sometimes so effective that some of the ground textures don't hold up as well under certain conditions (muddy riverbank at dusk, for example).

The only other open worlds I can think of that are this environmentally consistent overall are Forza Horizon 4, AC Origins, and Witcher 3 Blood and Wine. The others represent enough variety that some areas will seem better than others to different people.

Systems-wise, BOTW still has everyone beat, and that's a Wii U game. AC Odyssey is a close second and lets you do more in bodies of water. All the others have their gameplay pros and cons.

NPC-wise, Frozen Wilds is the clear leader. Major characters in Days Gone are a close second. Everything else has an uneven mix, but much more good than not-so-good.

Just fired up Days Gone as well and it really does accomplish a lot of what RDR2 does visually, but it's performance on the bike at speed still an issue. On foot is just fine, even against the largest hordes.

In this contest I can see realism having the edge here for people, so that puts RDR2, Forza Horizon 4, and Days Gone at the top. Not sure how close the latest Far Cry games come to this. Sad to see Rage 2 and Just Cause 3 and 4 not even make the running.
This is a great post. I think it would be a crime to just keep the discussion limited to RDR2 and Horizon when it comes to best looking open world games of this gen especially since so many other games do things better.

Days Gone has some of the best weather effects I've ever seen and the way the horde moves is literally out of World War Z.

SOTC has some of the best art and grass i've ever seen. it looks like a painting 99% of the time.

The draw distance and architecture in AC Origins' Roman and Greek cities is right up there with RDR2's St. Denis even if the NPC quality and animations dont match.

DNUo3TlWsAAWfXk.jpg

AC Unity has some of the best lighting and architecture in a game ever. Easily the most densly packed city as well.
DHWhq3tUwAAgI99.jpg

Spiderman at Dusk is some of the best lighting ever. The camerawork, lighting and cinematography during cutscenes and action sequences like the final battle is easily the closest we have come to CGi.

DzLE1zjWsAYqir3.jpg

Even Anthem despite its bugs and downgrades looks absolutely amazing due to its artstyle and world design. It's amazing that the game lets you fly around in its massive map.

Death Stranding and Ghost of Tshushima are going to end up fighting for the top 2nd or 3rd spots by the time this gen is done. Kojima is going for a stylized but realistic look similar to RDR2 and Ghosts is going for a Horizon like exaggerated look. It will be interesting to see where they end up. I dont think i've ever seen anything quite like this though so i dont know how to even compare it to RDR2 or Horizon.

anton-gonzalez-14.gif

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Horizon certainly does come out nicely in screenshots but I don't think it holds up as wellin game. The pop in and static environment at times are things that don't show up in stills.

Havingsd that fighting a Thunderjaw or multiple Frost Claws at once in motion with the beautiful motion blur and zero frame rate drops is probably the most next gen experience I've had.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From a technical standpoint it's obviously RDR2.

From a "my jaw was on the floor" standpoint, HZD. That game looked fucking magnificent. The art style and color use just make it look so awe inspiring at time.

Odyssey had this same affect on me (As did Origins). Sometimes I would just stop and take picture for ten minutes.

Games sure have come a long way my friends.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
HZD looks wonderful but RDR2 on an X borders on "must be seen to be believed" territory at times. traipsing through Saint Denis at dawn and nighttime is always a treat.

love Horizon's use of color though. lots of bright blues and reds that really jump off the screen.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I like H ZD more, by a tiny margin. Mostly because of the stunning art design that made a lot of scenes look breathtaking. Also, it's HDR is very good and the colors look great.
RDR2 is amazing though and more advanced I'd say.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Artistically Horizon. Technically RDR2.

Horizon has a clearly distinct and detailed artstyle that could only be done with a pure fantasy setting. It's biggest downfall is a few cases of bad animation transitions and some dead faced characters.

RDR2 is technically more impressive based on the details the engine takes into consideration and basically trying to mimic a more grounded and real world setting. Having to mimic life also means less creative freedom, so everything is beautiful in that way. Would love to see Rockstar try something a bit more surreal or based in fantasy with their tech.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Are we talking about pure technical prowess? Because then I guess it's RDR2 but in my heart, it's The Witcher III.

[Sigma]

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I acknowledge RDR2 does look better but I prefer Horizon's visuals more. So I voted RDR2 but Horizon is still my personal preference.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Neither are slouches when it comes to graphics, but I'm going to have to give the edge to RDR2. Attention to detail and production values are unmatched (as they should be considering the bigger budget and more man-hours put into it in comparison).

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Voted RDR2, even though I liked the game less than Horizon. Simply amazing vistas and detail.

Timexy

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think there's a clear winner here. Both are the best looking open world games this gen so far and the "best" one will be down to art style preference.

I prefer HZD's art style but that doesn't mean it has better graphics than RDR2, just that I prefer it.

Also I don't like RDR2 so there's that as well

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I believe a lot of these shots we see posted from HZD, mainly that top one, was run through photoshop by users on neogaf, i don't think that's a raw screenshot.
RDR2 ones are legit though.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is definitely more impressive and with a far bigger attention to detail. It's incredible, but the team size and budget matched what we got.

It's amazing to me how good Horizon looks for its team size and budget compared to Rockstar, though. It's a technically impressive game - though less so than RDR2 by a decent margin - but it has superb and consistent art direction. Because of its hyperrealism, I was so often taken aback by its beauty.

The biggest tell in this comparison, though, is this: which game has more facets where you say, "man, if this game just did _______ better it would look perfect"? I think the easy answer is Horizon Zero Dawn. If it just did water better, if it just did rain better, if it just did animation or foliage interactivity better, etc. The game is stunning, but it has more compromises than RDR2.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is the most stunning graphical achievement in gaming probably. Every time I fired the game up I was taken aback by it. Insane.

Horizon is pretty as hell but it's not close.

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I voted for HZD. I think RDR looks incredible, but I preferred the art style and environments in HZD. I was also blown away by the HDR, while RDR2 was a huge let down on HDR.

Nov 4, 2017
From the guy himself, HZD's art director, mission statement for HZD was basically to make a game that looks like NatGeo's documentaries - that "enhanced" , better than real-life look. They never aimed for verisimilitude.
That makes soooo much sense. It reminded me of those nature reels they play on TVs in a store, where you're like "how does this look better than real life?!".

Like many others have indicated, I'd say RDR2 wins hands down from a technical/realism standpoint, but HZD wins from an artistic standpoint.