• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Why is this all CGI crap??
Hate that stuff.

Some battles from RAN, at least aesthetically, are beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwP_kXyd-Rw
there's been a restoration of war & peace. yet to see it but the scale of the battle scenes look incredible from this trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DqanxfecIA

oh and there you go, it's from the director of waterloo

That's the stuff.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I remember being legitimately awed at the Battle of Coruscant at the beginning of ROTS. There's so much going on in the background it's crazy.

It's a really good opener, one of my favourites to a star wars movie. Lots of good action, nice comedic banter, and some of the few good examples of CGI and actually directing.

Red Cliff.

Got some amazing big brain strats (like 'stealing' the enemies' arrows using a decoy boat stacked with hay walls to bait out enemy archers) scenes, plus more 'standard' large scale action sequences, all set in China's Three Kingdoms era.

One of my favourite historical drama/wuxia I've ever seen.

I still really need to watch this and RAN.

The Battle of Scarif in Rogue One is so damn awesome it brings tears to my eyes.

Pacing on this was perfect too. The space battle was intense.

Is it weird I actually prefer Helm's Deep over Pelennor Fields? It just felt more desperate, more impossible to win. The elves showing up to help was really heartwarming and when all seemed lost, Gandalf shows up with the exiled cavalry and like a tidal wave they sweep up a victory.

It was beautiful.

I came into this thread just to mention helms deep. But thats cause it includes my favourite moments in the trilogy. The music, Legolas and Gimli having there banter throughout the battle, aragorns charge with the elves, the elves arriving, the claustrophobia of fighting on the wall.

And my personal favourite line 'Ride with me' and the final charge.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
People shit in Kingdom of Heaven a lot, but its small skirmish scenes are excellent, and stuff like the Siege of Jerusalem still gives me chills. Its not top shelf, but pretty damn close to it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Is it weird I actually prefer Helm's Deep over Pelennor Fields? It just felt more desperate, more impossible to win. The elves showing up to help was really heartwarming and when all seemed lost, Gandalf shows up with the exiled cavalry and like a tidal wave they sweep up a victory.

It was beautiful.

I think Pelennor trumps Helm's deep because it was larger scale. But it's very close. I love Helm's deep battle, it was so intense. I love the charge with Aragon leading the way so epic !!!

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can't go wrong with any of the Bondarchuk ones. He really captured the sense of scale of a battle-event.
No mentioned yet, the ending battle of Red Cliff Part 1 is pretty cool.
For something a bit more kitsch, the final sequence of the Admiral is a funny excess.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
It's hard to like battle scenes in film if you have the remotest idea of what war is really like. This long sequence from The Battle of Britain doesn't dress things up too much, and the combination of music and photography is superb.

Apr 19, 2018
I'm aware that the Hobbit movies don't have the best reputation, and it was the very definition of a CGI fest, but Battle of the Five Armies had some very cool stuff going on -- especially in the Extended Edition.

But yes, LoTR's battles are far, far superior.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I'm in the minority but I prefer the battle in the woods at the end of FOTR to any of the battles in TTT/ROTK. Too much CG involved, the FOTR one feels more real.

Big Wazu

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Glad to see Waterloo already mentioned a bunch. That's my favorite and pretty hard to top.

I also really like the Battle of Isandlwana in Zulu Dawn

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I'm in the minority but I prefer the battle in the woods at the end of FOTR to any of the battles in TTT/ROTK. Too much CG involved, the FOTR one feels more real.

The one against the Urukai ? It's incredible with Boromir defending the the hobbits alone ? And Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas desperately trying to get to him ? Stunning !

Lords of the Rings is still my favorite movie of all time. But I have to give the edge to the battle of Pelennor when it comes to the best large scale battle.

The final battle in the hobbit, the Battle of the Five Armies s also great and underrated.

Oct 28, 2017
It's def Battle at Stirling in Braveheart.

Also, one of my favorite pre-battle build-up shots is in Kubrick's Spartacus where the camera is in this locked down position and it shows the Roman legion passing, and the number of men that pass the camera just keeps going and going almost in perpetuity. It was such a brilliant but simple way to show the might of the Roman army and how outnumbered Spartacus and his men were.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another vote for Bondarchuk
As for Sci-Fi, nothing beats Battle for Endor from Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. Battle for Scarrif from Rogue One comes close though.
This too.

It was beautiful.
I do too

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Braveheart is up there for me. Avatar is way underrated. Last 30-40 min was epic as hell.

Oct 26, 2017
There's a lot of really good choices here so rather than repeat a few of them I'll go with one I know I'm probably in the vast minority on, the battle for Zion in The Matrix: Revolutions. It suffers the same problem as more recent big budget battles in that one side is a copy/paste job of blank slates, but unlike those other films the Sentinels don't exist in the film purely for the protagonists to do cool shit. They're creepy and determined and the way they move, swarm, split off from each other in groups... combined with how inhuman and horribly violent they are, they're just really unsettling.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
I struggle to be impressed by a load of CGI fighting another load of CGI.

So anything else that isn't that.

Yes.
giphy.webp

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't one of my favorite films overall, but yeah, the opening twenty minutes of Saving Private Ryan are as powerful and affecting as anything in the history of the medium to me.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Man, tell me about it. I just watched infinity war. I was so disappointed. People hyped this movie up and when Thor comes.

I just couldn't help but thinking this doesn't touch Helms Deep. Idk how people were hyped for infinity war lol.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What brings pelenor fields down is not the use of CGI, but how stupidly the battle is fought. Its literally just lines of people running at each other until one side wins.

The other examples here, particularly Alexander, KOH, Waterloo, etc., show how the battle progressed. From starting formations, to attack strategy, adaptation, routing, etc.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Makes me sad that we might not get any good space battles in the final Star Wars trilogy.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Black hawk down the whole movie. It may not be large scale in numbers, but it is definitely large scale. It had its issues given that Ridley Scott had to make concessions to the military to get access to actual Black Hawks (kinda necessary) but it puts you right in the heart of the action, and the sound mixing is amazing.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Helms Deep is my favorite battle scene ever. Theres a real sense of hopelessness and dread there. The battle in return of the king was great looking but the atmosphere in helms deep was second to none.

Oct 31, 2017
there's been a restoration of war & peace. yet to see it but the scale of the battle scenes look incredible from this trailer

oh and there you go, it's from the director of waterloo

Came for this. It's a 7 hour long epic, and its bloody fantastic. The battle scenes are indeed spectacular since the Red Army provided Bondarchuk (who bot5h directed and starred in it) tens of thousands of troops, but the whole film holds up brilliantly. Special mention to Ludmila Savelyeva who plays princess Rostova and out Aubrey Hepburns's Audrey Hepburn!

9ec49c141490fb6046b2433bf219da33.jpg

Anyway, I vote for either this or Lawrence of Arabia - you cant beat scenes filmed with tens of thousands of real people.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omaha
Battle of the bastards
Rohan charge
Helms deep
Death Star

Most have been mentioned already. There really isn't a lot of big battles now that I think of it.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll add the smaller scale battle from IJ the last crusade. Love that whole scene with the tank and Indy's horse skills.