• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a Switch owner for several months now, but I've been playing almost exclusively at home up to this point. I travel a lot, though, and feel like I've been wasting a great opportunity to take advantage of the portable nature of the system. However, whenever I've tried to take a look at what's considered the "best" set of Switch gear/accessories for this purpose, I've either only found 6-month old information (and the portable battery market, specifically USB-C and quick-charge tech, seems to move pretty quickly), or gotten a wide range of differing answers and opinions. I obviously could just lug around the official dock, but I travel fairly light so I'd rather leave that plugged in at home at bring something much smaller on the road and flights with me.

I'm specifically looking for recommendations for the following:

• A portable dock (much smaller than the official one -- doesn't even have to be a dock, as I've seen USB-C to HDMI+USB-C adapters that people seem to be using for the same purpose)
  • An AC adapter (must be able to fully power the Switch when docked -- bonus if it has other USB ports for powering additional devices, but not required)
  • A USB battery (must be able to charge the Switch at full brightness and also support fast-charging an iPhone 8 or X -- doesn't have to be simultaneously, of course)
  • A case / bag (not protective -- just something to keep the system, accessories and some games together)
Also generally interested in what y'all's travel setups are. Pics are encouraged!

OP
OP
404Ender

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry made a video about a portable dock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0HGUEP8RcM

That looks mostly perfect. Just sucks that there's no release date in sight (looks like they decided to redesign the whole thing about a month ago)

Not sure on the other questions but can give my previous answer regarding cases :)

Awesome, I'd already been considering that one! Now to choose between that and the newer "Arcade" gaming case from the same company. Looks like it's deeper (so you can bring a controller or the joycon grip too), but that might be too big to comfortably fit in my travel bag (and do I really need a full controller with me on the go?)

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Are there any Switch holders for the pro controller similar to what 8Bitdo offers for mobile phones? I don't like Joycons, so that would be the ideal portable setup for me.

OP
OP
404Ender

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any Switch holders for the pro controller similar to what 8Bitdo offers for mobile phones? I don't like Joycons, so that would be the ideal portable setup for me.

Wouldn't the Switch be too heavy for that to work well? The setup would be really top-heavy (if I'm understanding you right)

Omerta

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
I recently bought a very cheap usbc to hdmi adapter that advertises as "working with the Nintendo Switch" on eBay for 20 dollars (Australian) and it works really well.

I bought another (official) power supply and it's great.

OP
OP
404Ender

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
I recently bought a very cheap usbc to hdmi adapter that advertises as "working with the Nintendo Switch" on eBay for 20 dollars (Australian) and it works really well.

I bought another (official) power supply and it's great.

I worry about the cheap adapters because I've read some horror stories online of them bricking or ruining Switches. Glad to hear yours is working well for you!