• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Here is the list of the best-selling games on Nintendo eShop (Switch) in January 2019:
Dy3-4zMW0AE3OWB.jpg:large

I removed free-to-play games (Fortnite, first, and Warframe, 14th) in the North American charts, because it was the only one which included free-to-play titles. Thanks to Lite_Agent for japanese numbers.

If you want to compare, here are the best selling games on PlayStation Store (PlayStation 4) in January 2019:
Dy3_JD8WwAAoIFB.jpg:large

I don't have the japanese ranking. If someone have it, please post it in this thread. It's maybe there (I can't read japanese).

Finally, the battle between Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2 is interesting.

October
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 : 1st (NA + EU).
Red Dead Redemption 2 : 2nd (NA + EU).

November
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 : 2nd (NA + EU).
Red Dead Redemption 2 : 1st (NA + EU).

December
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 : 2nd (NA) + 4th (EU).
Red Dead Redemption 2 : 4th (NA) + 7th (EU).

January
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 : 4th (NA) + 11th (EU).
Red Dead Redemption 2 : 7th (NA) + 17th (EU).

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 seems to have better legs, at least digitally. It was also the best selling game on PlayStation Store in 2018 in North America and the second best-selling game on PlayStation Store in 2018 in Europe. In 2018, Red Dead Redemption 2 was second in North America and third in Europe on PlayStation Store.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Fair point. You are right. Hmm..but the physical copy of Splatoon 2 is still selling well in japan. Hmm..but maybe it would be better with a better online service for switch.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Fair point. You are right. Hmm..but the physical copy of Splatoon 2 is still selling well in japan. Hmm..but maybe it would be better with a better online service for switch.

The discrepancy in sales between the two versions is what I could not immediately understand. If it were the opposite, it would make better sense based on previous circumstances. For example, Octopath Traveler was consistently selling out at launch.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Yeah, also a point. I mean..okay...NSO is not great, of course..and lets say it affects sales this big on Splatoon 2 in Japan....but still...Diablo III is selling better at the japanese eshop than Splatoon 2 is really...my brain cannot handle it :)

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Yeah, also a point. I mean..okay...NSO is not great, of course..and lets say it affects sales this big on Splatoon 2 in Japan....but still...Diablo III is selling better at the japanese eshop than Splatoon 2 is really...my brain cannot handle it :)

There is this narrative that NSO is doing bad, but it's all made up by angry users who expected more (or by those who jump on the bandwagon), cause for what it offers, 8 mln subscribers in the first 4-5 months that's a very good result, in line with Playstation when it launched and Nintendo is happy with it.

I think Splatoon 2 is slowing down because post launch support is near the end, or if not, Nintendo might need another big DLC like Octo Expansion. We know there will be the free special demo in March.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dude Hollow Knight is an evergreen. So happy for Team Cherry. Above Smash in Europe lmao. Japan tho...

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Uhm, Wargroove released on Feb 1.
Does that mean that Wargroove sold more pre-orders than Pokémon LG Pikachu did copies in January?