• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Suw4rbox

Alt-Account.
Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Posted by toutoune134

Top 20:
gsR8zV0.png

Source: http://www.sell.fr/sites/default/files/lessentiel_du_jeu_video_fevrier_2018.pdf

Other important data:

- Market up 18% YoY with 4.3 billion € spent in 2017 by consumers.
- Hardware (consoles only, excluding PC) sales up 31% at 784 million €
- Software sales up 21% at 1.3 billion € (digital sales represent 41% of that number, up 46% YoY. Physical sales are up 6% YoY)

Last edited:

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interestlingly this is somewhat different than the data we have from Nintendo France:

Super Mario Odyssey was the best-selling Switch game with 512,000 units sold, just ahead of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which shifted 508,000. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild delivered 410,000 units, with Splatoon 2 on 252,000 and 1-2-Switch at a little over 200,000.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...s-the-fastest-selling-games-console-in-france

If these numbers are legit MK8D sold only 7K digitally while SMO sold 112K digitally.
Zelda numbers perhaps include Wii U version? Since it's 410K vs 511K so Wii U version did very nicely in France, around 1 in 8 Wii U owners in France bought Zelda:BotW.
Splatoon 2 and 1-2 Switch likely in the top 20.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda, Mario, Horizon. France knows what's up.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Interestlingly this is somewhat different than the data we have from Nintendo France:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...s-the-fastest-selling-games-console-in-france

If these numbers are legit MK8D sold only 7K digitally while SMO sold 112K digitally.
Zelda numbers perhaps include Wii U version? Since it's 410K vs 511K so Wii U version did very nicely in France, around 1 in 8 Wii U owners in France bought Zelda:BotW.
7k for mk8d does seem low....
what's the game file size?

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Shame that there is no digital sales included. Great sales from several games (especially Nintendo games and Crash). We also can now calculate the share Switch version of FIFA had. 73k copies out of 1.364 million is about 5.35%.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Other interesting data in the following tweets of Oscar Lemaire:

- Numbers come from GSD and no GfK as per usual. GSD tends to include digital as much as they can though not all publishers ("Nintendo essentially") share these numbers.

- GTA V (GfK until 2016, GSD for 2017):
2013: 1 951 000
2014: 593 073
2015: 584 081
2016: 452 636
2017: 293 851
Total: 3 874 641
- FIFA (physical only):
FIFA 14: 1 027 000
FIFA 15: 1 292 290
FIFA 16: 1 272 498
FIFA 17: 1 426 209
FIFA 18: 1 364 000
- Call of Duty (physical only):
Ghosts: 897 000
Advanced Warfare: 909 784
Black Ops 3: 1 082 123
Infinite Warfare: 465 816
WWII: 1 020 201​

- Assassin's Creed (& Watch Dogs 2) (physical only):
Black Flag: 413 000
Unity: 362 237
Watch Dogs: 574 779
Syndicate: 227 017
Watch Dogs 2: 268 067
Origins: 453 609​

- Software sales (Volume & Value):
DW8pHAVX4AAo7zO.jpg

- If only 13% of games released in 2017 are PEGI 18, they represent 27% of global sales. Most of games sold are PEGI 3 (29%):
DW8qYlZW4AA1osZ.jpg

That's all for now. I'll update if some new things are posted :)

OscarLemaire

Jan 16, 2018

Nintendo used GfK.
These numbers are not from GfK, but from GSD, the new partner for the SELL. It will be the new source for most european countries (France is the first to jump), and will include digital in the future just like NPD. The SELL chose to show physical numbers only this year since Nintendo don't want to share their digital numbers yet.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Shame that there is no digital sales included. Great sales from several games (especially Nintendo games and Crash). We also can now calculate the share Switch version of FIFA had. 73k copies out of 1.364 million is about 5.35%.
probably lines up with UK, or is slightly higher than UK.
since that opened at 1% and has posted a higher % the following weeks.

maybe the US is a similar %.

Nintendo used GfK.
These numbers are not from GfK, but from GSD, the new partner for the SELL. It will be the new source for most european countries (France is the first to jump), and will include digital in the future just like NPD. The SELL chose to show physical numbers only this year since Nintendo don't want to share their digital numbers yet.
good to know.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
i know it released earlier, but splatoon being near Battlefront and Destiny is weird to me. Those two really underperformed right

pokemon combined would be #7.
not horrible I suppose.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Not sure if Horizon being the only new original IP non-sequel game on that list is a good or bad thing.

OscarLemaire

Jan 16, 2018
Oh, and the GSD numbers are indeed including the Wii U for Zelda, but not the hardware bundles, while the Nintendo numbers use the bundle sales. Which explains the big difference for Mario Odyssey.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Does this mean 18+ games are more lucrative? Just woke up, sorry.

You're comparing multiplatform games with a console exclusive for a relatively new console.

Nah, it means some of the best selling titles are 18+, not that they are inherently more profiable.

I wonder how that stat looks for movies.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

With France being relatively strongest market for Switch (after Japan) I would assume it has highest share percentage for FIFA on Switch (outside of Japan). In UK recently Switch version has had higher weekly share but when weekly numbers overall are so low compared to launch month it takes forever to change its share of total sales.

Nintendo used GfK.

So it's just because of Nintendo that digital is not included to any game in these numbers? Shame. Hopefully situation changes this year.

i know it released earlier, but splatoon being near Battlefront and Destiny is weird to me. Those two really underperformed right

pokemon combined would be #7.
not horrible I suppose.

To be fair going by US and UK sales Destiny 2 had insane digital adoption rate so if all titles included digital Destiny 2 would be quite bit higher than Splatoon 2. Of course still considering the expectations for the game even with big digital share its sales are quite disappointing.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair going by US and UK sales Destiny 2 had insane digital adoption rate so if all titles included digital Destiny 2 would be quite bit higher than Splatoon 2. Of course still considering the expectations for the game even with big digital share its sales are quite disappointing.
oh yeah, that's possible.

Does this mean 18+ games are more lucrative? Just woke up, sorry.

You're comparing multiplatform games with a console exclusive for a relatively new console.
..i am.

Angel DvA

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is huge in France but Sony is making huge progress this generation, the French really love Japanese stuff.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017

That impossible for the UK the math won't allow it. 1-2% is were it would be around, last week was the first time the switch had sold more than xbox sku. You have to remember now, the amount of units being moved now is significantly less than at launch so it would difficult to change the %.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
That impossible for the UK the math won't allow it. 1-2% is were it would be around, last week was the first time the switch had sold more than xbox sku. You have to remember now, the amount of units being moved now is significantly less than at launch so it would difficult to change the %.
I know, I wasn't really referencing last week anyway.
I don't keep specific track, since it's meaningless, but I thought I remembered seeing a few 5% and a 10.

it's all tiny numbers regardless, so anyway

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017

The Switch SKU doesn't neccesarily need to sell more than the another SKU to increase it's relative amount of copies sold.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I must be reading this chart wrong because it looks to me like Horizon Zero Dawn outsold Star Wars BF2?

Also GT Sport numbers show that having a worldwide market is important. 195K in two months and two weeks? In one territory?

EDIT

These stats are shocking. How does Capcom bring in more money than Microsoft? In 2017?

Last edited:

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This chart doesn't exactly support the notion that Nintendo is so much bigger than Sony in France. Looks like in fact that Sony generates far more revenue than Nintendo despite hardware units being similar.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me it shows that lifetime sales of Splatoon 2 in France will end up higher than SWBF2 and Destiny 2, all three are GaaS shooters but the implementation and monetization is very different. Even with more digital sales for SWBF2 and Destiny eventually Splatoon 2 will overtake them.
Splatoon 2 has been within the top 10 for both February and January on Amazon.fr and at least to me doesn't seem like a game that will stop selling in the foreseeable future.

January: Splatoon 2(#6), SWFB2(#51), Destiny 2(n/a)
February: Splatoon 2(#7), SWBF2(#98), Destiny 2(n/a)

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It took several years for the Xbox One to outsell the Wii U in France, so it's really not that surprising.

When you compare the output it's very shocking. In 2017 XBOX released

Halo Wars 2
Cuphead
Forza
PUBG (late 2017)

And a few others. Resident Evil was Capcoms most notable release. Their other games sold poorly. Something isn't adding up. Unless all of those XBOX games sold really poorly in that market. I'm not suggesting those XBOX games are bad I'm just shocked that those games with that much exposure wasn't beaten in terms of revenue by a publisher like capcom in 2017.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Since digital represents 41% of the numbers we have Fifa at >2M and Cod close to 2M, Horizon at 500K likely too.

Great year FRANCE!

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Since digital represents 41% of the numbers we have Fifa at >2M and Cod close to 2M, Horizon at 500K likely too.

Great year FRANCE!

Your maths seem off. If Horizon Zero Dawn had/s a 40% digital attach rate then its total sales would be way lower than 500k no? It'd only be over 300k...

OscarLemaire

Jan 16, 2018
Top 20 would have been more interesting...no surprises in the Top 10.
There is a top 20, it's in the OP.

The "normal" retail price in France is 70 € (price on the digital stores at launch / Micromania (french Gamestop)) (with tax)
Here is the average retail price for the biggest games:

FIFA 18: 57€
FIFA 17: 56€
CoD WWII: 57€
CoD IW: 45€
GTA V: 52€
Zelda BOTW: 62€
MK8DX: 53€
Mario Odyssey: 50€
Splatoon 2: 54€
1-2 Switch: 45€
AC Origins: 62€
Horizon: 63€
SW BF2: 58€
Destiny 2: 54€
Ghost Recon Wildlands: 63€
Gran Turismo Sport: 56€
Crash Bandicoot: 36€

Without Nintendo games, old games and Crash Bandicoot, the average is 58.6€

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
40% digital doesn't mean games have 40% digital ratio because there are digital only games.

Angel DvA

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Many people I know ( Including myself ) are buying digital games on the US Store, is far cheaper than the 70€ we have here, my library is almost 99% digital because of it.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017

Halo Wars 2
Cuphead
Forza
PUBG (late 2017)

And a few others. Resident Evil was Capcoms most notable release. Their other games sold poorly. Something isn't adding up. Unless all of those XBOX games sold really poorly in that market. I'm not suggesting those XBOX games are bad I'm just shocked that those games with that much exposure wasn't beaten in terms of revenue by a publisher like capcom in 2017.
Well, those numbers don't include digital sales so PC sales won't be included here, all that's left are sales on Xbox One. I don't know how many Xbox have sold lately but there were only 700.000 sold back in January 2016, which is more than 3 times less than the ps4, so you won't have a large potential userbase.

I'm pretty sure Halo Wars 2 hasn't sold well here. Cuphead wasn't actually by Microsoft. I guess Forza 7 and PUBG sold well but neither of them cracked the top 5 in their first week.
Meanwhile, Resident Evil 7 spent several weeks in the first spot.

So yeah, it actually makes sense considering the local market.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark

Halo Wars 2
Cuphead
Forza
PUBG (late 2017)

Welcome to continental Europe where Xbox is (almost) non-existent.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda, Mario, AC Origins, Crash and Horizon. Half the list is single player only. I just love seeing that :)

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
I would comment the amazing performance of Nintendo, but... I already did it, all numbers were already out thanks Nintendo France.

Instead, can we talk about those amazing Origins performance? That's a similar launch to Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, and with digital it almost surely beat it. It's been a loooooooong time since Assassin's Creed was able to do those numbers, looks like we are back guys!

Great year FRANCE!

That's... Not how this work... Not even close...

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands