• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
There have been some great pilots that for various reasons never got picked up. I was recently thinking about Korgoth of Barbaria and I am still disappointed that it never got a full run. I think maybe it was a bit ahead of its time looking at some of the shows that became big later. What are some that you personally wished went to full series but didn't?

Korgoth pilot.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I'll always wonder what would have happened if the 1996 Doctor Who film, intended as a backdoor pilot, had attracted enough interest to be picked up as a series.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
There have been some great pilots that for various reasons never got picked up. I was recently thinking about Korgoth of Barbaria and I am still disappointed that it never got a full run. I think maybe it was a bit ahead of its time looking at some of the shows that became big later. What are some that you personally wished went to full series but didn't?

Korgoth pilot.

Welcome to Eltingville
Party Wagon

All of these plus "Heat Vision and Jack".

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'll always wonder what would have happened if the 1996 Doctor Who film, intended as a backdoor pilot, had attracted enough interest to be picked up as a series.

Both of these immediately came to mind. Doctor Who needs no explanation.

Parallels had a lot of OG Sliders (before the weirdness from the network switch/recast) vibes and a conspiracy plot to go with it. Would have liked to see where they went with it.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017

Korgoth pilot.

I read the title and immediately thought of Korgoth, I've watched that episode so many times.

Same, first thing that came to mind. Watched the pilot so many times. What a waste.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Well since you already though of Korgoth, I'll add The Amazing Screw on Head. Based on the comic by Mike Magnolia, the same guy who did Hellboy

Jan 15, 2018
Residue was interesting, while it wasnt exactly a pilot, since it was three episodes, but it was envisioned as a miniseries meant to launch and actual series. Seems like Netflix passed on it.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Heat Vision and Jack. It was a great blend of slapstick and sci-fi that could have had 2-3 strong seasons when Ben Stiller, Jack Black, and Owen Wilson were breaking through into the mainstream.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The US version of "The IT crowd" with joel mchale as Roy.

Pryde of the Xmen that SHOULD have been the first ongoing xmen animated series, with the wolverine who had a bizarro australian accent

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuality_(film)

Virtuality+cast.jpg

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Red Faction: Origins was cheesy as hell, but at the time it was a fun watch.

Generation X - apparently they were testing the waters for a show, but it never happened.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Not quite what you're asking, but there was a show called Alcatraz that had potential but was cancelled after 10 episodes. They had an interesting premise and were going for a Lost type of show but they dragged their feet a bit in the first few episodes which hurt the pace. It picked up in the last few episodes but I guess it was too late.

sharkkiee

Aug 6, 2018
I wouldn't say this show was the best, I didn't even know it existed till a little while ago...R.I.P Adam West

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mulholland Drive, though it did give us the actual film in the end. So all is well!

OP
OP
ForgeForsaken

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
It does not sound like a cheap tv show ... so maybe budget was the problem
I think budget was what killed both Korgoth and Screw On Head. In Korgoth's case when they launched Adult Swim was all about fast and cheap animation like Tom Goes to the Mayor and 12oz Mouse, or live action shows. Venture Bros production schedule may have made them gunshy as well. For Screw-on I think SyFy found the idea of a cartoon too risky at the budget.

Last edited:

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Came in here to post Lookwell, and you mentioned it. Thank you.

I don't think this is the best, but I've always enjoyed watching Pryde of the X-Men.

What's fascinating about this one is, the Konami 6 players X-Men arcade game was based on this, so they had the merch machine going already, yet still was not developed into a full series.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Well since you already though of Korgoth, I'll add The Amazing Screw on Head. Based on the comic by Mike Magnolia, the same guy who did Hellboy

Holy hell that cast is STACKED. Paul Giamatti, David Hyde Pierce, Mindy Sterling, Patton Oswalt and produced by Bryan Fuller??