• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A few absolute doozies from the past. I'm going less for number of games and more for size and quality of games:

WMoyi6K.jpg

6TO5BTV.png

yUY6MnB.png

(Note that each of these are the Collector's CD-Rom editions)

HHGwLmY.jpg

o3MMc10.jpg
OMG. I stole all of these!

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
GUEST_64f98df9-be45-4b25-8be9-af0a19335f51

Image quality isn't perfect but you basically get the absolute best of Sega's 16 bit titles and a nice collection of essential Master System and acrade ports. 12 bucks on eBay right now.

The Sega Genesis Classics set on PC/PS4/XB1/Switch has better presentation and includes some landmark Treasure titles but is absent some important titles that are in this set. Both are incredible values.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
As a kid I split a pack of Command & Conquer and Civilization 2 with a friend, I took Civ and he took C&C. I thought that as insane value.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection. Not only does it collect top notch games and had a great price at release, the revamped visuals in Uncharted 1 go a long way to improve that game.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
The Orange Box out of the game was one of the best values in gaming. I played all of those games and they were all some of the best games ever made, and three of them were brand new.

Sure there are compilations that come after a while like the Blizzard chestboxes but man, Valve was giving away the goods.

Deleted member 45957

Orange box, Metroid and Megadrive Collections are up there.
I really dig this one too :

cover-usa.jpg

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
In modern day terms, for me it'd have to be the MGS Legacy & HD Collections.

In the early years of video gaming we would see a much greater amount of compilations than we do now.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody has mentioned my fave which surprises me.

Midway Arcade Origins on PS3/360.

It has some of my fave arcade games on it. Smash TV is an absolute blast. Spy Hunter is top notch. There are so many more!

Check it out!

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wonder how something like the orange box would happen if it were to release now. It's mad to think that it included 3 full new games. There's no way a Dev would release 3 new games, a relatively recent one and a classic all in one package for $60 nowadays.

Im not sure if anyone remembers but valve initially announced The Black Box for $60 which included portal, TF2 an episode 2. After a while they were like fuck this and upgraded it to the Orange Box for the same price

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection is pretty amazing if you like the series.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Sonic Mega Collection was amazing back in the day.

All the Genesis Sonic games, all the lock-on titles, and fucking Ristar for just $20.

My childhood in one disc.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Capcom Classic Collection Reloaded on PSP.
Must buy at great value.
That slot machine. So much time spent at that slot machine. Would love to see that brought over in hell, every Switch compilation. Play a game for twenty minutes, hit the slots, get some artwork, rinse, repeat.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection was always one of my favorites. I think people had issues with it but I discovered a lot of new favorites. I also had the PSP version and have definitely considered getting the new collection. Want to play some Alien Soldier in bed.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
DJMAX Respect, about 150 songs with 4 different difficulties and about 3 different charts a song. Add DLC and it becomes nearly 300 songs and about 3k different charts.

Oct 29, 2017
Rare Replay is unbeatable in that regard.

Probably the single greatest disc to ever be printed.

Metroid Prime Trilogy is also up there as well (and its digital re-release on Wii U is just silly value for the money!).

GUEST_64f98df9-be45-4b25-8be9-af0a19335f51

Image quality isn't perfect but you basically get the absolute best of Sega's 16 bit titles and a nice collection of essential Master System and acrade ports. 12 bucks on eBay right now.

The Sega Genesis Classics set on PC/PS4/XB1/Switch has better presentation and includes some landmark Treasure titles but is absent some important titles that are in this set. Both are incredible values.

The emulation quality is absolute gobshite though. You truly do get what you pay for...

I'd much rather go for the Sonic Mega Collection on the GCN. While there aren't as many games, the emulation quality is absolutely top notch! (Plus it includes all of the lock-on features too! It's the only Sonic re-release, outside of the Wii VC release and Sonic Jam, that includes the full Sonic 3 & Knuckles!)

The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20Collector's%20Edition.jpg

the only right choice

Not when Majora's Mask is so utterly broken in this version...

Last edited:

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
what kind of games were in those things?

as per my earlier reply (sorry im a slow poster)
I guess some examples would be... indie arcade ports/remakes/reskins (eg: encom, robotron, pacman, breakout) traditional game adaptations (chess, pool, solitaire, mahjong, etc) and then you'd get b-tier shareware games (just the free episode) like (dangerous dave, hugo's house of horrors, bio-menace) and some straight up just demos, like sam & max hit the road, the dig, or earthworm jim.. weirdly adventure games of that time would tend to do this thing where theyd just have a hidden progression blocker so you'd just kinda... get stuck on a puzzle? About 70% of the games wouldnt work anyway. 90s PC gaming was a wild west.

The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20Collector's%20Edition.jpg

the only right choice

Ooh! How could I forget this. Someone gave my sister one of these saying it was just a junk promo disc or something, if I remember right. Whew!