• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
There is arguably no more satisfying shooter weapon type than a shotty to the face, done correctly. But what elements make for a good shotgun? Why are some shotguns pissweak and others monsterous beasts that feel amazing to use? There's a number of factors, key among them sound design, enemy reaction, satisfying recoil, and actual utility. Please contribute our favourites, or dishonourable mentions, as appropriate.

When I think of a video game shotgun, I always think of the shotguns from Half-Life, specifically HL2.

I enjoy how quick it is, very punchy sound, fantastically granular reload animation.

Arguably the most iconic though is Doom's super shotgun.

Despite the limited frames of animation, the fact it basically deletes enemies and the very satisfying reload sounds are extremely good.

Strangely, for a game touted for its gunplay, I never really liked the Halo series of shotguns to the same degree. They were alright though.

Looking at it now there's nothing really wrong with it, but I remember it feeling ineffectual unless you were basically within melee range - which is, admittedly, how a shotgun should act, but there are limits.

Another downer is Bioshock's shotgun. I think it's the sound design on this one, or it takes up too much screen real estate, not really sure.

Enemy hit-reaction on non-death also kinda blows.

Anyway, post your faves. Doesn't have to be FPSs either - a good third-person shotgun is appreciated, or even one from a tactical game (XCOM shotguns come to mind)

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
MW2's SPAS-12 and Halo: CE's Shotgun are both my favorite shotguns from any game.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
I remember Killzone 2's shotgun being so impactful because of the amazing ragdolls. Think you could take heads off with it lol.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
DOOM is the first game that comes to mind when you say "shotgun in a video game".

GodHand

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
2728152-2737286439-i2pdM.gif

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
725 feels really good to shoot, it's part of the reason why it's so popular. It just feels good

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Custom Shotgun in Resident Evil 2 Original. Nothing more satisfying than the deafening BANG and a zombie's whole upper half is gone.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DOOM seems like the logical answer but Imma say the VK-12 from F.E.A.R.

It's incredibly satisfying to use and at point blank in slowmo you can turn people into red paste

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
DOOM feels like the quintessential shotgun.

Gears is probably the first that comes to mind after it for me. The gibs are too satisfying.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Doom 2, both the single as well as the double barrel are pretty much perfect.

The Halo shotgun (Halo 1 - 3) was great fun in Multiplayer.
The SPAS in Left 4 Dead had some great stopping power.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doom's super shotgun, Halo CE shotgun, Half-Life 2 shotgun.

Recently, Wolf's auto-shotty is fantastic fun.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
The HL2 shotgun is cool, but my favorite is the Flak Cannon from Unreal.
latest

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Firing the super shotgun into a small crowd of zombiemen and decimating all of them is beyond any contemporary attempt at making the double barreled shotgun satisfying.

Edit: Oh geeze the Flak Cannon is really good too.

OP
OP
Jintor

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
DOOM seems like the logical answer but Imma say the VK-12 from F.E.A.R.

It's incredibly satisfying to use and at point blank in slowmo you can turn people into red paste

god, i've really got to go back and play this some day

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Yeah I realise this is nostalgia bias but it's the doom super shotgun for me.

Second place maybe is the shotgun in duck game, my partner can attest i'm an absolute bastard with it. Borderlands series has some choice takes on shotguns too.
I tend to always gravitate to shotguns in games, shotguns tend to cater to timing and rhythm over accuracy and I guessss I am just a bad aim.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want a shotgun thats gonna send a dude flying or gibbing. Far cry shot guns suck ass because enemies just slightly recoil when hit. Everything in far cry generally just lacks impact

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Destiny-4thHorseman-ExoticShotgun.jpg

Destiny: The Fourth Horseman

It fired full auto and kicked like a bitch, to where you can aim at the knees and by the time it has expended its rounds and needs to be reloaded you're looking at the sky. It also absolutely melts things. Second favorite shotgun in Destiny is Lord of wolves, if only because it's stupid as hell.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
If Doom's Super Shotgun wasn't mentioned in this thread, I would have rioted. :)

Oddly enough, Uncharted's shotgun always felt satisfying if you were running and gunning.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Every time this question comes up, my answer is always the Three Crowns coach gun from The Order 1886.

The Lord of Wolves in Destiny 2 is another great little piece to shred folks with

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
The other shotguns a better for general purpose as they don't take as long to reload, but the quad shotgun in Killing Floor 2 is pretty satisfying to use. It also has a fantastic boom to it and sends zombies and ropes of intestines flying everywhere.

QWQHYIi.gif

Beeblebrox

Oct 28, 2017
Am I the only one who fondly remembers that shotgun with flaming ammo (or however that's called) from first Black Ops?

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I realise this is nostalgia bias but it's the doom super shotgun for me.

Second place maybe is the shotgun in duck game, my partner can attest i'm an absolute bastard with it. Borderlands series has some choice takes on shotguns too.
I tend to always gravitate to shotguns in games, shotguns tend to cater to timing and rhythm over accuracy and I guessss I am just a bad aim.
I really like the Torgue shotguns that just shoot a bunch of tiny rockets. They're difficult to hit with and hurt you if you're too close but they're crazy powerful if you use them right.