• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I also have a soft spot for the EVA-8 shotgun in Titanfall 2.
latest

There's a high-capacity one in the first stage that I kept through the entire campaign.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
@OP: Huber, is that you?

The Gnasher from Gears is pretty good. Though I have a soft spot for the Crusader from Mass Effect 3.

OP
OP
Jintor

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Last I checked #1 buckshot can be potentially lethal at 25 yards and #00 buckshot can be potentially lethal up to 50 yards. And this is assuming you are using buckshot in the first place and not slugs. Are you able to melee a person 25 yards away?

I'm clearly talking about the context of halo 2 here

Do you mean in a game or irl?

Because irl they have great range.

i guess I mean more accurately 'a shotgun class weapon in a video game'. I don't know jack shit about real world guns and don't plan to.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I don't normally like shotguns except in the new Wolfenstein games. I used them almost exclusively. So I'd vote for that

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's gotta be Doom II for me. Even though I generally use the regular shotgun more to save ammo, the Super Shotgun is so satisfying to use.

Tell you what it's not though, shotgun from Doom 3. Rubbish shotgun POOF it went.
Totally. Shotgun in Doom 3 is butts, butts, butts which was so disappointing.
The HL2 shotgun is cool, but my favorite is the Flak Cannon from Unreal.
latest
Oh! I forgot about this gun. It, along with weapon 4 (the laser thingy weapon that shot balls of energy as the alternate) were my favorite weapons in that game.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Really disagree on the Half Life 2 shotgun. The sound and feedback feel incredibly weak.

Halo CE and DOOM Super Shotgun immediately came to mind for me.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
It's gotta be Gears of War for me. Few things in games are more satisfying than a headshot with the Gnasher

Oct 28, 2017
I'm clearly talking about the context of halo 2 here
Sorry, you said that this is how a shotgun should act and did not specify within halo 2 specifically so I assumed you meant in general. The belief that shotguns are only useful at extremely close range is a fallacy and is the main reason why so many videogame shotguns are terrible in my opinion.

OP
OP
Jintor

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, you said that this is how a shotgun should act and did not specify within halo 2 specifically so I assumed you meant in general. The belief that shotguns are only useful at extremely close range is a fallacy and is the main reason why so many videogame shotguns are terrible in my opinion.

That's fair. It's just a game balance thing after all though.

Physics would probably take a nap if bullets just stopped being effective after X meters without coming into contact with something (or dissolving in midair or whatever)

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
The shotguns in Killing Floor 2 are pretty satisfying.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 3's Claymore. Holy whoa. Punchy, incredibly strong, and really satisfying combined with reload cancelling

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
I bet it's one of the most hated shotguns, but I LOVE the shotgun from Doom 3 (yeah, not the double-barreled). Just love the feeling and the bulky look of it. Also adore the shotgun on Quake 4.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Gears of War's Gnasher. So good, it's the de facto, bread and butter weapon of the game.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It's got to be Gears of War. I can't think of any multiplayer shooter where the game revolves around a shotgun as much as it does for gears. Getting those perfect 'pops' on headshots with the gnasher is one of the most satisfying feelings in a MP shooter.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dead to Rights for XBox had the best shotgun I've ever seen in a videogame to date. The sound, the range, the destruction, it's the best.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
The trusty companion of all kickers of alien ass.

latest

It's got damage, it's got range, it's got a decent speed and it brings satisfaction.

And unless I missed something, no one mentioned it before me?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Shout out to all those awesome Borderlands shotguns I've used for a few levels before I find something with better stats.

Nov 2, 2017
The trusty companion of all kickers of alien ass.

latest

It's got damage, it's got range, it's got a decent speed and it brings satisfaction.

And unless I missed something, no one mentioned it before me?

giphy.gif

Good call! DNF(!) also has a satisfying shotgun.

D3D was one of the few games where all of the weapons are cool and novel to use, including the DLC shrink ray.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
For a long time gamers had to make an impossible choice between a double barrel or pump action... until Turok 2 saved us.

Turok7rl2.png

Feb 10, 2018
Really like everything about the shot guns in max Payne 1 + 2

Pump action is good, but so is the jackhammer and striker

MaxPayne-2016-10-23-02-18-25-17.jpg

There good in gears and call of duty and gta5

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
It's the Doom shotgun.

Shout-out to fallout 2's pancor jackhammer, even in turn-based top down isometric games exploding people point blank is just the bee's knees.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Good call! DNF(!) also has a satisfying shotgun.

D3D was one of the few games where all of the weapons are cool and novel to use, including the DLC shrink ray.

Do you mean the microwave expander? The shrink ray was base game, while the expander was introduced with the Atomic Edition. Bit of an ammo eater, but good for clearing out crowds of weaker aliens or eggs.

I do like how they saved all the wilder weapons for the later episodes though. Played tons of the shareware version as a kid, and I fantasized about how cool the rest of the game must be. Pretty cool, it turns out. Though nothing quite beats the tightness of those first 6 levels.

Nov 2, 2017
Do you mean the microwave expander? The shrink ray was base game, while the expander was introduced with the Atomic Edition. Bit of an ammo eater, but good for clearing out crowds of weaker aliens or eggs.

I do like how they saved all the wilder weapons for the later episodes though. Played tons of the shareware version as a kid, and I fantasized about how cool the rest of the game must be. Pretty cool, it turns out. Though nothing quite beats the tightness of those first 6 levels.
Yes, I meant the expander. My bad. I do remember the ammo eating of the expander, probably was a little too much of a novelty weapon in retrospect. Still fun.

The shareware levels were so great. My bro and I always played Hollywood Holocaust and Freeway in null modem Dukematches. Good times.