• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've never played a silent Hill game and I want to change that, what's the best way of playing them now?

I don't have an original PS1 but i wouldn't be against buying the games and ripping them to put on my PS1 classic or using an emulator on my Pc if that gives better results. Or is there another way to play them today?

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
If you have a PS3 then you can buy Silent Hill from PSN and play it that way. Otherwise yeah, your best bet is to play it on a hacked PS Classic.

Got a Wii hanging about? It's the only way to play Shattered Memories. Don't consider the PS2 or PSP version.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Similar boat to you OP, never played any of the Silent Hill games.

Apparently the HD Remasters or 2 & 3 on PS3 are trash, even though they're conveniently included with PS Now :(

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
Silent Hill is on US PSN for $6. Silent Hill 4 is on some asian PSN stores, like Japan, but it has some audio sync issues.

Silent Hill 2 has been getting a lot of dedicated support lately through the Enhanced Efition, so look into that first. Otherwise it's probably PS2. I'm not sure if the Xbox version runs on current hardware. The PS3 version of the HD collection is passable for 2 if that's your only option.

Silent Hill 3 is trickier. The PC version has issues running on more modern Windows and hasn't received the enhancements that SH2 received. Avoid the HD version because it's total garbage. PS2 is probably the best.

Silent Hill 4 is likely the same. The PC version is missing some hauntings and cutscenes are locked at 15fps for some reason. You can buy it on JPSN, but be aware of the aforementioned sync issues. Not sure if the Xbox port has received BC support.

PC with mods.

SH2: http://www.enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/

Not sure about 3, but I think there's something for it too. Don't think there's something for OG Silent Hill as engine itself is just so dated.
There's a mod that fixes some of the issues and gives widescreen support, but nothing as detailed as SH2 EE.

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
SH1 is best played on PS1/PS3 or emulated on PC.

SH2, 3 and 4 are best on PC with mods.

SH Homecoming is on Steam! It also has mods to make it better.

SH Downpour, sadly, is unavailable anywhere except PS3.

2 and 3 have a hd collection don't they?
Yes, they have the absolute worst HD Collection ever made. It should be, by far, the last version anyone should play of those games.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
PC with mods.

SH2: http://www.enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/

Not sure about 3, but I think there's something for it too. Don't think there's something for OG Silent Hill as engine itself is just so dated.
This post is correct. 2, 3, and 4 all run beautifully on PC with well maintained fan patches. Absolutely the best way to play 2 and 3 at this point. I replayed both literally this year on PC with no issues an all.

I only have the first via ps3.

2 and 3 have a hd collection don't they?

The HD collection is the worst way to of these games. It is comically botched.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just going to mention that I played SH3 on PC years ago and it looks far better than the PS2 version. I say, go with that one if you can make it work, over emulation. SH4 is better on PS2 though.

SH2 has a pretty great enhancement mod on PC. 1 you gotta emulate or play on PS1.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent, thanks for all the information.

i will source a PS1 disc from eBay and then loom to buy the others on PC and get some mods going.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
I have a Sony PVM and an original PS1 with Silent Hill and I'll tell you that Silent Hill on the PS Vita is probably the best way to play it.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
has the Comic Sans ever been patched out of the HD Collection?

DalNnd9WsAUE8Ra.jpg

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that sucks. What exactly was wrong with it? Was it just a performance thing?
Where are they available on pc? Steam?
It was heavily rushed, and apparently they used an old source code version of the game as their base, not the launch PS2 version. Also, a loooooooot of graphical issues that make the game look worse than the original versions, plus a redone voice acting gig that is worse than the original (for example, take a look at the post above me, they used MOTHERFUCKING COMIC SANS to HD-fy the Silent Hill billboard). It's just a mess.

That's the short version, if you have time I would take a look at this video, which explains what happened in great detail.

Luckily they're on PC (retail only, no digital), but they're pretty bad on vanilla. But there are fantastic mods for SH2, 3 and 4 that make them the best versions by far.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
SH1 is best played on PS1/PS3 or emulated on PC.

SH2, 3 and 4 are best on PC with mods.

SH Homecoming is on Steam! It also has mods to make it better.

SH Downpour, sadly, is unavailable anywhere except PS3.

Yes, they have the absolute worst HD Collection ever made. It should be, by far, the last version anyone should play of those games.
Downpour runs fine at 4K in RCPS3.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It was heavily rushed, and apparently they used an old source code version of the game as their base, not the launch PS2 version. Also, a loooooooot of graphical issues that make the game look worse than the original versions, plus a redone voice acting gig that is worse than the original (for example, take a look at the post above me, they used MOTHERFUCKING COMIC SANS to HD-fy the Silent Hill billboard). It's just a mess.

That's the short version, if you have time I would take a look at this video, which explains what happened in great detail.

Luckily they're on PC (retail only, no digital), but they're pretty bad on vanilla. But there are fantastic mods for SH2, 3 and 4 that make them the best versions by far.

Damn.
How could they mess up so much lol.

No digital? Really?
Come on Konami! What the hell.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow....silent hill prices on eBay are whack....

Even cex has it listed as £40, what's with the popularity of this game at the minute? Is it the reboot talk?

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this recently in another thread but, for 2-4 it's definitely the PC versions and I think you only really need 1 mod for each (well, arguably the 1 "mod" for SH2 is several mods rolled into one):
By far the best way to play 2-4 is on PC with mods, and I say this as someone who just went through this entire ordeal of figuring out how to play them within the past couple months.

Use this for SH2, this for SH3, and this for SH4.
For SH1 it is emulating it through Retroarch.

The hardest part for 2-4 on PC is just getting copies that work properly, after that the mods for the most part are drag and drop, or at most following a few basic steps in a clear set of instructions. The games are abandonware so you have a few options for sourcing them.

Also, if you run into any issues or want to just familiarize yourself with the technical aspects of the PC versions, all of them have great articles on PCGamingWiki. Just search by "Silent Hill."

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Also if emulating within Retroarch, be aware that PGXP causes a softlock in the first church cut scene.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I'm just playing the PS2 versions myself, but if you can get your hands on PC versions I'd go with that.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow....silent hill prices on eBay are whack....

Even cex has it listed as £40, what's with the popularity of this game at the minute? Is it the reboot talk?
This has been going for a while before the reboot talk.
I think the lack of a good widely available modern port is more to blame here.
SH2 PC in particular is stupid expensive.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Close your eyes, imagine the game playing in your mind. It can run at any resolution you want, controls are intuitive and you can enable cheats and mods at will.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill 2 received critical acclaim. Within the month of its release in North America, Japan, and Europe, over one million copies were sold, with the greatest number of sales in North America. It is often considered to be one of the greatest horror games ever made and among the greatest video games of all time, praised for its story, use of metaphors, symbolism, psychological horror and taboo topics, soundtrack, atmosphere, graphics, monster designs, and sound design.

I had no idea it was so good!

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
if possible get them on ps3.
1 as a psn game
if possible get the sh collection on ps2 for some money and play them on your bc ps3.

starbuck2907

Jan 29, 2018
iSH Downpour, sadly, is unavailable anywhere except PS3.

Not true. It was released for Xbox 360 as well.

I would play the ones I could on pc with mods. Otherwise, I'd try a Retropie and play the ones I could through emulation on PS1 PS2. Then modern consoles or pc. I guess you could also play the old ones on oo...

Silent Hill Homecoming and Downpour for Xbox 360 are backwards compatible with Xbox One. So is the HD collection, but it is a garbage remaster that badly hurts the atmosphere of the games so I would avoid it.

Downpour is probably my least favorite. But even it is cool in some ways.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Since Konami has decided to treat the series with disrespect and disregard, I have no problem stating that Piracy and emulation is the definitive, best way to play the series.