• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played this game in forever and used Bonus EXP randomly when it first came out.

Was wondering if y'all had any tips on how to distribute it properly?

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Usually I use it to tip people over the edge of leveling up.

I also avoid using it on Ike, because he usually hits level cap before I finish the game anyway.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Save scumming with it can be interesting. Got someone with less than 20 Exp to go for a level? save, top them off and see what you get. If it's several points on important stats for that character, such as speed and strength for Ike, then keep it. If not, reload and try again.

But also Mist, as mentioned. Mist becomes pretty good if you BEXP her up. And for plot reasons, you might want a good Mist later on.

Astrid is also a good candidate since she grows really fast and becomes a Paladin on promotion.

In general, though, its intended main use is to catch up characters you like to use, but didn't get enough Exp in the maps.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rolf, man. I laugh when in RD there's that cutscene when Shinon is teaching Rolf how to aim properly, meanwhile my Rolf eclipsed Shinon like three times over by the end of PoR.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Put it into Rolf, but honestly you get so much that you can use it to just lv. Up anyone who has less than 50 XP remaining to level up and you'll be fine.

Nephenee is another good unit to invest in

Oct 25, 2017
In either Path of Radiance, or Radiant Dawn, there is a check to ensure that if you are using BEXP to level up, you get at least 3/4 stat ups -- Sadly I can't remember that mechanic more specifically, but the idea is that, in at least one of the games, the best thing to do is to wait until a unit has at least one or two stats capped out, as those can't go up any higher, so it will level up one of their weaker stats to ensure you get the 3/4 stat up minimum.

Oct 29, 2017
Give it all to Soren. He's so broken that he can actually damage the super secret final boss in Radiant Dawn, even though normal characters aren't supposed to be able to!

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Personally I used some on Rolf/Mist but was frugal throughout most of the game, then pleasantly by the end I had enough for
Elincia
who is a great character for the 1-2 chapters they're in (although admittedly this was probably not optimal).

Also to those saying Soren he's rather easy to level up on his own merits, pretty sure I used none on him but he turned into a monster regardless.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
In either Path of Radiance, or Radiant Dawn, there is a check to ensure that if you are using BEXP to level up, you get at least 3/4 stat ups -- Sadly I can't remember that mechanic more specifically, but the idea is that, in at least one of the games, the best thing to do is to wait until a unit has at least one or two stats capped out, as those can't go up any higher, so it will level up one of their weaker stats to ensure you get the 3/4 stat up minimum.
That is only in Radiant Dawn. In Path of Radiance, bonus EXP levels are just normal levels.

I generally just used bonus exp for keeping lower level characters caught up... which mostly meant Mist. Levelling her isn't easy, but well worth it, especially if you can build up her promoted weapon rank high enough. Mist armed with a magic weapon is absolutely terrifying.

Oct 29, 2017
Also to those saying Soren he's rather easy to level up on his own merits, pretty sure I used none on him but he turned into a monster regardless.

Yeah, come to think of it, that's actually pretty true. There's no reason why you should ever not be using Soren; so he should reach max level of his own accord anyway.

In that case. Give the bonus EXP to Mist and Rolf.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Save scumming with it can be interesting. Got someone with less than 20 Exp to go for a level? save, top them off and see what you get. If it's several points on important stats for that character, such as speed and strength for Ike, then keep it. If not, reload and try again.

But also Mist, as mentioned. Mist becomes pretty good if you BEXP her up. And for plot reasons, you might want a good Mist later on.

Astrid is also a good candidate since she grows really fast and becomes a Paladin on promotion.

In general, though, its intended main use is to catch up characters you like to use, but didn't get enough Exp in the maps.

This 100%. I save scummed the shit out of it and my characters were monsters by the end of the game.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017

IIRC paragon doesn't affect bonus exp, so one should use Astrid normally, who will grow quickly to become one of the best units. Man, paladins are so OP in PoR.

Regarding other recommendations posted here:

1) Mist - This is a good suggestion, as she's easily the best healer in PoR especially later on, and she can even do solid damage later on.

2) Rolf - Don't bother, Rolf sucks. Astrid is the only bow wielder you need in PoR.

3) Soren - Not a fan of Soren. If you're not using the mounted units (horses and pegasus and wyvern), you're doing it wrong.

Last edited:

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I split most of mine between Mist and Rolf. I recall promoted Mist being godlike but I was disappointed in how average my Rolf ended up after investing so much into him. Maybe I just got really unlucky with stat allocation.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
IIRC paragon doesn't affect bonus exp, so one should use Astrid normally, who will grow quickly to become one of the best units. Man, paladins are so OP in PoR.
I wasn't sure if that worked or not, but as you get her as a bow-locked level 1 Cavalier halfway through the game, tossing a pile of BEXP at her is still the best way to get another Paladin.

And Paladins are amazing in PoR. There's no such thing as too many Paladins. Except for Makalov.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
So basically Mist, Rolf, Elincia, and whoever really needs it?

I also heard that I should only level up to the 99 EXP point, why's that?

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Give it to your favorites, or make your already good units even better, pushing them even further ahead of the curve.

PoR's not too hard of a game, and all the units are pretty usable, so it isn't a big deal however you choose to distribute. If you're going to move on to RD, you might want to do the stat transfers stuff, which is basically if a unit is at capped level, any of their capped stats give a +2 to their base stats when they join in RD.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Rolf is garbage. Don't use it on him lol, but the game is easy enough so you can use it on him if he's your favorite unit for some reason.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Give it to units who you want to use but see less combat, or units who you've just recruited but want to train up real fast. The Mist suggestions are good, but don't give any BEXP to Laguz or characters like Rolf, Sothe, or Astrid. Rolf cause he's not worth using, Sothe because his only use is as a utility character and shouldn't be seeing combat, and Astrid because she has Paragon and gets way more EXP from actual combat. Rhys is another good candidate, or any character that starts sort of frail but will end up being strong (Nephenee, Keiran, Soren, Makalov, Marcia, Jill, etc.)

Sep 14, 2018
So what this thread is really saying is that you should use the bonus experience on whoever you want. Look at all the people saying Rolf, despite him being considered one of the worst characters in the game. (The worst according to a Reddit tier list made three years ago.) Every character is viable and the game is easily beatable with you making a ton of mistake.

Use whoever you want, and don't really worry if someone falls behind. The game is easier with a few super high level characters rather than stressing over having a team of all roughly equal level characters.

Just don't worry about it. Just relax and give the bonus experience to whoever you want. You do not have to be an expert to beat a Fire Emblem game. The game is made in such a way that you can give all your bonus experience to a couple units, have both units die, keep playing, and easily beat the game.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Anyone who's a slow starter benefits from BEXP (unlike in Radiant Dawn where they change the calculus of how BEXP works and you have to be much more strategic with it to use it right). Lord of Ostia's post above has a good list, although I think Kieran starts off fine for use normally. Jill, Marcia, Soren, Rhys, Nephenee, Mia, and Mist. Nephenee, Mia, Jill, and Soren can become absolute terrors once they get strong but get knocked over by a strong breeze if you try and just level them naturally from the jump.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
So basically Mist, Rolf, Elincia, and whoever really needs it?

I also heard that I should only level up to the 99 EXP point, why's that?
Leveling up with Bonus Exp guarantees 3 stats will go up, no matter what (if Ike is maxed in everything but 3 stats, even if his magic is at a 5% growth rate, it will go up). The 99 number comes from wanting to save scum from the first action of your next map as the amount of stats that are increased are not limited to 3 like bonus exp.

The game isn't that hard, so just use it on Mist.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I once dumped as much Bonus EXP as I could into Mist and the result was nothing short of hilariously great. But the truth is that there's no one right way to spend your Bonus EXP so long as you feel you're getting the most out of the way you spend it. Personally, I tend to power up Nephenee early on, because she's freaking tank.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
The game is easy enough and bexp is plentiful enough that it doesn't really matter how you distribute it. I guess if a unit you like is kinda crap you can use bexp to make them better.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Rolf isn't worth it. Mist is. I usually give Nephenee 2-3 levels too because she has never failed me, but she's a little weak out there gate. Other than that, just topping off levels between chapters.

And yeah, Astrid isn't a good candidate either since her skill doesn't work with bexp, so it's kind of wasteful to use it on her.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Leveling up with Bonus Exp guarantees 3 stats will go up, no matter what (if Ike is maxed in everything but 3 stats, even if his magic is at a 5% growth rate, it will go up). The 99 number comes from wanting to save scum from the first action of your next map as the amount of stats that are increased are not limited to 3 like bonus exp.

The game isn't that hard, so just use it on Mist.
That is how the system works in Radiant Dawn, not Path of Radiance. In Path of Radiance, you want to cap levels off with bonus exp, since you can save scum the results without entering a battle.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
i wouldn't worry about min-maxing unit stats via RNG. it will work out fine either way.
Usually I use it to tip people over the edge of leveling up.

I also avoid using it on Ike, because he usually hits level cap before I finish the game anyway.
yup, this is how i used it iirc.

rationing battle xp by selectively giving team members the kill is where it's at. then topping them off gives you the edge in the next battle. leads to a very even levelling curve overall, with everyone participating.
Rolf isn't worth it. Mist is. I usually give Nephenee 2-3 levels too because she has never failed me, but she's a little weak out there gate. Other than that, just topping off levels between chapters.

And yeah, Astrid isn't a good candidate either since her skill doesn't work with bexp, so it's kind of wasteful to use it on her.
rolf's the best archer in the game and a total beast. just needs a lot of shepherding to get there.

he completely outclasses shinon partway through his pre-class change levelling curve, iirc. and that extra range he gets as a sniper will pay off. (aside: I'm really glad RD put shinon back on even futting. love ya shinon.)

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all badmouthing Rolf in PoR are really missing out. He doesn't end up quite as destructive as Mist or Mia regarding trash to treasure units but he's right behind them. In terms of combat Astrid only gets her movement range and Shinon is completely outclassed

Oct 25, 2017
In high level play Archers are generally considered weak units due to lack of enemy turn countering, which is where a huge amount of your damage output comes from, which limits their usefulness. Even if Rolf is pretty good on Player Phase, he's essentially useless on Enemy Phase. Additionally, using him almost requires BEXP, which could have been spent on a unit that is useful on Enemy and Player phases.

Thus Rolf being the worst character on a tier list, even if his stats come out good.
At least Mist turns into a healer that can defend herself.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Astrid gets access to Axes or Lances upon promotion and has a mount. She might not be the best Paladin, but she's better than Rolf who's going to stay bow locked. Bows are probably the worst weapon in the game, not counting the nontransformed laguz.

Even Shionon is better as he doesn't join as a level 1 Archer and doesn't have E rank in bows.