• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

QBizM

Oct 25, 2017
Happy Holidays everyone!

In the spirit of the season, how about we share our favourite winter levels. I'll start:

Freezeezy Peak – Banjo-Kazooie

protect-the-twinklies2_m7wz.640.jpg

I always had pleasant memories of this stage. The snow effects, the music, the stage design... Certainly one of my favourites!

Please share your own favourites!

dylaneno

Nov 24, 2017
P4_G_Winter.gif

Perhaps an uncommon choice, but I always felt the Winter sequence of P4G was especially moving. That music always makes me feel extra emotional. ;_;

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
I have so many fond memories of Star Fox Adventures on the GameCube that I always think back about this section:

3-03-OverThere.jpg

otretas

Nov 1, 2017
All the Northrend in the WoW lich king expansion, i know all of them dont have snow but where i live there is no snow in winter too
Always had fun exploring and just enjoying the maps and especially the music, that Grizzly Hills music....
Happy christmas everyone, and i hope you enjoy it with your familly and friends! Stay warm and happy :)

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
There's a nice winter themed location in Xenoblade 2 but since the game just came out I'll hold off talking about it.

Mount Lanayru in Breath of the Wild is a really nice snow location with a great surprise at the top.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
The Painted World of Ariamis.

It's got some of the best level design in a game full of incredibly designed levels.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Frozen Eleum Loyce from Dark Souls 2

maxresdefault.jpg

Irithyll of the Boreal Valley from Dark Souls 3

1xR3fXk.jpg

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Skellige (TW3), The Frozen Wilds (Horizon) and Blizzard Mountain (FH3) are the holy trinity in terms in modern games.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
mario-kart-8-animal-crossing-tracks-gameplay-screenshot-merry-christmas-winter-wonderland-wii-u.jpg

Nice and chilly, yet suprisingly warm and cosy. Animal Crossing Winter from Mario Kart 8.

Sherbet Land is also a very nice one.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Add my vote to The Last of Us. No intrusive music, just the cold harsh wind unsettling the trees as you stalk your prey's blood trail, your character freezing their butt off, their footsteps crunching in the snow, armed with just a bow and arrow, not to mention the entire winter section completely changes the tone and dynamic of the story, it's like a "shit just got real" moment narratively.

Honourable mention, of course, to Skellige in The Witcher 3. A game world that is designed with realism at its core, despite the fantasy hijinks around every corner. I remember watching a really informative Youtube vid about how the world was designed with logic behind every rock and tree, every village and town layout was created with the lives of the NPCs taken into consideration. Shit isn't just arranged to look pretty, there's meaning behind every environment and every item, even if its strewn on a beach haphazardly, it was done so with purpose behind it. Ever since Witcher 3 every other game I've played has paled in so many aspects, world design being one of them. Take the recent AC: Origins as an example, shit is just thrown around to look pretty or be convenient in that game, if you pay attention to details, not as a gamer but as if you were someone who lived in that world, you realise the world makes no sense, villages are built in illogical ways. Just made me appreciate Witcher 3 all the more. Anyway. When's Cyberpunk coming out... :|

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Honourable mention, of course, to Skellige in The Witcher 3. A game world that is designed with realism at its core, despite the fantasy hijinks around every corner. I remember watching a really informative Youtube vid about how the world was designed with logic behind every rock and tree, every village and town layout was created with the lives of the NPCs taken into consideration. Shit isn't just arranged to look pretty, there's meaning behind every environment and every item, even if its strewn on a beach haphazardly, it was done so with purpose behind it. Ever since Witcher 3 every other game I've played has paled in so many aspects, world design being one of them. Take the recent AC: Origins as an example, shit is just thrown around to look pretty or be convenient in that game, if you pay attention to details, not as a gamer but as if you were someone who lived in that world, you realise the world makes no sense, villages are built in illogical ways. Just made me appreciate Witcher 3 all the more. Anyway. When's Cyberpunk coming out... :|

I'll qualify this by saying I already have about 200~ hrs into Origins and it's my personal GOTY (Egypt setting is life). But the random location of things is absolutely indicative of a laissez-faire approach to world design.

Sometimes you can make it make sense: these guys are doing crime, so their hide-out obviously would be in the middle of nowhere. Much of the time though it's a bit jarring: why is there a garrison of 20+ soldiers, miles from a water source or anything worth defending?

Anyway it's picking nits but it really does reflect back on W3 superlative world design, that you'd think about stuff like this from now on.

kukubrew

Nov 7, 2017
The starting area for Gnomes all the way up to Ironforge was my favorite in WoW. The esthetics and sounds were very evocative of cold, crisp air and snow everywhere.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
maxresdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

Icicle Inn and snowboarding in ff7

It's all absurd and a total change of pace from what comes before this point but that's part of why FF7 is so enjoyable. It has such great intense stuff and then has the ability to be absolutely silly, it makes it such a joy of a game to return to, because there's so many things to enjoy about it.

And this is the game I was planning on playing this evening besides 5K down-rezzed BOTW, so time for some 4K z-fighting fixed FF7 on my 1080 ti. It's a good time to be alive for playing games.

Nov 2, 2017
The start of GTA V is pretty great. Mafia 2 has a fantastic Christmas themed section. Oh, and Narshe from FF VI.

Last edited:

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
One of the Gex games had a Christmas level I remember liking. Forget which one since it's been so long.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Max Payne 2. Most of it occurs in Winter, if I recall correctly.

The Holiday/Santa version of the Paris level in Hitman '16 was pretty amazing too.