• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to derail the thread, but do you guys actually rely on reviews to tailor your purchases or is it just another way to consume video game content? After so many years playing games, I pretty much know what I'm going to like or not.
Reviews tell you more than a gameplay segment or your own interests can

1) Reviews are retrospective. They offer impressions of a work as a whole, what they felt worked, what didn't, tone and pacing and progression over the entirety, which is something you can't get from simply watching an hour or a section

2) Reviews offer perspectives beyond your own, and can introduce you to works that you might not necessarily be interested or that would not normally fit your interests

Although the only video reviews I seriously watch are Karak's; I prefer to read reviews. Any other game channels are for retrospectives, analysis, game design discussion, and so on

Dash

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see other people recommending Kim Justice. Her retro documentaries are great.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I could live on nothing but Easy Allies. I still check out a wide variety of other channels but they are usually very focused on one particular style of content. I enjoy ACG's reviews even if I don't always agree with his criticisms. I enjoy how he formats his reviews and they are always well put together. Angry Joe's reviews can be very entertaining as well. Raycevick is great for retrospective content.

Oct 26, 2017
Another vote for Kim Justice, I especially appreciate the very British flavour of their content as it covers the more neglected systems from Amiga, Atari, etc. Their contributions to the gaming landscape are massively overlooked these days imo.
In a similar vein, I'd like to suggest Slopes Game Room (Daniel Ibbertson) and Nostalgia Nerd. They do great look backs on older gaming series and tech respectively.

For more deep dive gameplay breakdown content creators, the oft quoted Mark Brown (Game Makers Toolkit) can't be praised enough, and Hamish Black (writing On Games) has some fantastic videos on game narrative.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The game channels I'm subscribed to:

ACG/Kayak
AI and Games
Errant Signal
Extra Credits
Far From Subtle
GMTK/Mark Brown
Noah Caldwell-Gervais
NoClip
Tom Francis
Dunkey
Writing on Games

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Game Sack is a really good retrospective series, we have a thread for them over here.
Naw. From my experience, most of their opinions are variations on "The graphics are great!", "The game controls smoothly!" and "F*** those SJWs for criticizing this!"
ACG/Kayak
AI and Games
Errant Signal
Extra Credits
Far From Subtle
GMTK/Mark Brown
Noah Caldwell-Gervais
NoClip
Tom Francis
Dunkey
Writing on Games

Seconded.
While he's famous nowadays for tearing apart SAO and A1 Pictures, Digibro and his sister channel Digibro After Dark has some older videos that analyze games well.
Hippocrit is also a fun one.
TheGeekCritique does some great looks at DKC and Metroid.

Last edited:

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angry Joe is entertaining and informative. That guy really knows how to articulate himself about gaming. It's interesting, because it seems like he was born for YouTube. I mean, have you seen his writing? It's atrocious.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a Lindsay Ellis equivalent for gaming? Game Maker's Toolkit works as a good Every Frame A Painting analogue, but channels like Noah Caldwell are more general analysis. Any channels doing thematic/social commentary deep dives on games, like Lindsay does with film?

Hawk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a fan of CornshaqGaming, he covers a lot of obscure indie releases (Mainly for PS4, althogh also some for Switch) which otherwise wouldn't get much press coverage.