• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, it makes sense. They have an online game with an online e-commerce system. While in principle it would be fine to let players run graphical mods, it's likely difficult on their end, to distinguish these from other types of mods.

The essay thing is odd. Bethesda should be more understanding. Obviously players are going to want to mod their game, because they're used to doing so with their other games.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
You could've funded Obisidian's New Vegas 2, but you went chasing that GaaS money, instead.

Now this game exists to be a meme topic generator on Era.
....I miss positive Fallout news....

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, just to be clear, were these mods as in new content/items/etc mods? Because in this case, wow Bethesda that's terrible.

Or as in "Mods" that breaks the real money economy or makes them immortal to other players (known as cheats). Because in this case, ha they got what they deserved?

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, just to be clear, were these mods as in new content/items/etc mods? Because in this case, wow Bethesda that's terrible.

Or as in "Mods" that breaks the real money economy or makes them immortal to other players (known as cheats). Because in this case, ha they got what they deserved?
The ones banned are saying it's either reshade or cheatengine that got them banned. Reshade just effects visuals so that should never ever get you banned and cheatengine is software used to cheat a sp game, but the users banned reckon they have't used it for f76 nor was it even running. Apparently F76 scans your systems processes before launching and flags your account even if cheatengine is running, regardless of what you're using it for.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
A company who's games survive so long because of modding, want people to explain why modding is bad. Lmfao

Nov 14, 2017
The ones banned are saying it's either reshade or cheatengine that got them banned. Reshade just effects visuals so that should never ever get you banned and cheatengine is software used to cheat a sp game, but the users banned reckon they have't used it for f76 nor was it even running. Apparently F76 scans your systems processes before launching and flags your account even if cheatengine is running, regardless of what you're using it for.
Visual mods get you banned in most online games because it's hard for the game to know if you're doing some kind of enhanced shaders to make it look pretty, or just turning on wall hacks.

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
so, its an online multiplayer game, its well known that most of this types of game ban cheatengine or any games that modify system memory to inject info on the game, even for visuals like reshade.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
2018 has been good just because of trash games like this being universally laughed at.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While this is absolutely ridiculous, I don't really see how this lines up with the rest of the Fallout 76 shitshow.

May 18, 2018
Nah, the video basically concludes that running Cheat Engine in the background is the most likely cause of the bans.

Pretty much this. It seems to scan every hard drive connected to see if you have any cheat engines. You can argue about whether hard drives scans are good/bad but I mean, they are already cheating and it's a bit hard to say they aren't cheating in F76 when they are in other games. Keep your cheat engines away from ya dang games

ETA: This means that email is probably real and that's a different poop show hahaha.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what, they're going to make the game worse?

i know you're joking and all, but let me just say this. modding in single player games like fallout 3/4/NV/TES is one thing, modding in online multiplayer games to give you an advantage over other players is another. it doesn't matter if you think that the game is bad and the developer "deserves it", cheating is cheating.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
And I hope people think THRICE before buying another Bethesda softworls game.

Who am I kidding, in this very forum there are people who said they'll be there day one for a new Bethesda game.
Wasn't FO76 made by a smaller outside team?
I'm certainly still excited for the next Elder Scrolls game.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I get it because of the whole online game thing, but asking for an essay is fucking hilarious. Like you got detention for modding.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
They had to know there was zero chance Bethesda was going to allow modding of any kind in a game where they're selling shit left and right on top of having online connectivity with other users. Its typically not allowed in any games of this nature. If you bought this game to mod it, that's on you because you frankly should know better.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
HOW ARE THESE STORIES STILL COMING?!

It's December! The game has been out over a month! How is it still generating unique PR fuckups? Good lord...

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Question: Does this game have private servers ? Modding offline is fine, but online has the potential of abuse. Still pretty bizarre this coming from Bethesda.

An apology essay ? lmfao they cant be serious goddamn

Edit: Oh right, there are cosmetic and (and soonish boosters?) microtransactions in this game. They would start losing money with mods...

Last edited:

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda is aware that modders are the ones that actually make their games playable and enjoyable, right? Jesus fucking Christ.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
I'm not at home to check the game itself, but I use a mod to fix the ui for 21:9 and a mod that adds sorting tag icons to the inventory screen, and I haven't received an email about being banned.

I also have cheat engine installed but don't have it running when playing the game.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I find it incredible people are still playing this POS.
And I hope people think THRICE before buying another Bethesda softworls game.

Who am I kidding, in this very forum there are people who said they'll be there day one for a new Bethesda game.

I think this is what gets me the most. I see so many complaints (not just on Era but in general) about how awful the game is and how poorly Bethesda has managed it but hear the same folks excited for their next project.

Everyone can buy whatever they want but I just don't understand wanting to blindly support a dev that's fucked up this bad.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Ok hold up with that click baiting title. Bethesda is talking about actual cheating here, not modding. While cheating and modding are closely related, they are very different things.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
very slippery slope Bethesda has to be careful not to make the hardcore PC crowd to upset because they don't have money like Electronic Arts who can afford to take some backlash and survive.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
It's an online game. Unless you're talking about shaders or other graphics mods, it's called cheating, and the ban is justified.

The essay bit is... really quite strange, though. If you ban somebody for cheating, why would you offer them the opportunity to bullshit their way out of it?

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
I find mildly amusing the fact that people actually can mod a MMO-oriented game.
Ok hold up with that click baiting title. Bethesda is talking about actual cheating here, not modding. While cheating and modding are closely related, they are very different things.
i found it funny because we know how bad bethesda has managed this game and their probles, but banning for using cheatengine isnt one of them

OP
OP
themadswagger

themadswagger

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Sorry that was unintentional. The article I found it in was titled "Bethesda Is Wielding Fallout 76 Banhammer For Players Using Mods To Improve Graphics" and referred to the cheats as mods.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I've seen anecdotes of people being banned for using the ultrawide mod fix. Seems they do not distinguish between the two.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So, the article only has a citation for cheating:
Reports turning up online indicate that multiple users have received similar emails from Bethesda noting they have been banned. The email reads, "This account has violated the Code of Conduct and Terms of Service by cheating. This account was detected to be running a third-party application, which provides an unfair in-game advantage, while logged onto Fallout 76."

But they don't have anything to prove this point:
The issue the modding community has is that while some of the bans seem righteously handed out for players using mods to gain a competitive advantage, others who were banned were merely using a shader mod to improve graphics of the game.

Also, these "moddings" aren't actually modding what we usually see in Bethesda games. These are injecting 3rd party programs which can be done in basically any game ever.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Well, if using mods makes your game run smoother then you have advantage over people playing the original PoS.