• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
What year is it? We're really still doing the whole silent protagonist thing? Come on man lmao

(EDIT) Alright so I get it, I'm in the unpopular camp. I also didn't play FO4 so I didn't know of the complaints regarding the voice acting! I just would prefer to at least have the option to use VA than not have it at all. Again though, I get it! They gotta get the game out on in time and since this was such a common complaint seemingly for FO4, they cut it all together. It's totally fair.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Good. Didn't like Fallout 4's approach at all. I noticed they also brought back the classic close-up first-person conversations too.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Not liking this. Fallout 4 did a much better job with its narrative by giving your protagonist a name and a voice. IN MY OPINION.

If you feel otherwise you are fine to disagree!

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No voice at all? No grunts and whatnot? Not speaking is one thing, but no voice?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If it allows them to have more complex and varied responses, then it'll be for the better.

Last edited:

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Kind of expected, but good to have confirmed. They already mentioned it was a mistake in Fallout 4 and agreed with all that feedback.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think the smart thing to do would've been to just...implement the voiced dialogue better rather than cutting it entirely.

Oct 25, 2017
hmmm, I was already losing interest in the game with the 1000 planets thing, not big on procedurally generated exploring, and this just seals it. Hate silent protagonist.

Mind could change with more info, but thats 2 huge negatives in a row.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I was cool either way, but this is good at least for all those who complained in F4.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Fallout 4 but yeah, this seems like the right move. Hopefully this will allow for a wider range and deeper level of expression from the player character, instead of everything being constrained by the limitations of voice acting resources.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
this is perfect
fallout 4s dialogue options completely ruined the game for me
this is a move in the right direction

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, very surprised, but pleased. I just assumed that they'd have to voice a protag because of takes like these 👇

What year is it? We're really still doing the whole silent protagonist thing? Come on man lmao

Silent protag is a better choice for a Bethesda game than voiced... Fallout 4 was really limited in conversation options because of the voiced protagonist. I get how people expect it from a cinematic point of view, but it limits what they can do creatively ... or just blows the scope out.

There's also a philosophical point of view that fans of the Fallout & Elder Scrolls series historically prefer their characters to not be voiced, similar to Link/Protagonist in Zelda games. I'm sure they could have voiced Link in Breath o the Wild, "What year is it, 1988 or 2018!?" but it's a game design choice and one that a lot of fans of the series prefer.

I was okay with a talking protagonist in Fallout 4, but after about ~20 hours saw how it wasn't the best choice for the game.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very good. Everything else would be wasted time and effort.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
My take on this is I don't mind it not being voiced, although seems a bit dodging when something that got critisized got removed completely removed instead of just simply improving.
For the first person part, actually think that's super boring and dated as hell.