• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How good will this conference be?

• [RIP AND TEAR INTESIFIES] tier

Votes: 138 11.5%
  • Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies tier

Votes: 382 31.7%
  • Only here for Shinji "THE GOAT" Mikami tier

Votes: 190 15.8%
  • YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Votes: 286 23.8%
  • WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 208 17.3%

• Total voters

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Um, it wasnt that bad IMO.

The reveals for Arkane's and Tango's game were pretty good, Wofenstein and Doom got pretty good gameplay segments. And it's nice to see them not giving up on 76.

Screw that "wooo" guy, tho.

Oct 25, 2017
Just getting caught up on this presentation, and did I get Monkey's Pawed with the "hey, it's a new Commander Keen game...and it's an F2P mobile game!"

notme2020

Dec 3, 2017
I'm willing to jump in to Fallout 76 once the the update with the NPC's are added. I'm really interested in Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo. Doom Eternal looks dope and the crowd was garbage.

Oct 30, 2017
I saw the little pop up notification on my phone while playing DnD about a new Commander keen game. I was so goddamn excited until I finally got to click on it like two hours later and saw its a piece of F2P mobile trash. I'd have rather the series just stayed dead...fucking why Bethesda.

Oct 27, 2017
Best part of the show right here:
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched it on YouTube and did you all already discuss that random ass ORION section? Wtf was that all about? It felt like they had two salesmen on stage trying to pitch it to Sony, MS and google. It was so out of place.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Just watched it on YouTube and did you all already discuss that random ass ORION section? Wtf was that all about? It felt like they had two salesmen on stage trying to pitch it to Sony, MS and google. It was so out of place.

The worst part was when they brought up the cost savings, then added in that it will save dev's AND gamers money. Like they remembered right before showtime that this wasn't GDC.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was looking for this thread earlier to complain about that one guy who was screaming YYYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!! Wwwwwwwwooooooooooooloo!!!!!! Throughout the whole show even interrupting devs during the presentation multiple times.

You can tell not only did his check cleared from Bethesda but it must've been more then he was expecting.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

Id software is capable of some black magic so i wouldn't write it off. still, grain of salt and all that

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DOOM Eternal was the highlight, given the amount of gameplay, information, and quality put in that part of the presentation. I still have to go through 2016's DOOM, but this is pushing me to get on it.

I was semi-let-down about the Wolfenstein bit. I guess mentioning 3 would be too early, but it's hard to get too interested in spin-offs. At least the combat/gunplay in Youngblood looks a bit better than New Colossus, and I could see having a good time in co-op.

While both CGI-only trailers, Tango's Ghostwire and Arkane's Deathloop have my attention. A good deal of that is based on each studio's legacy, so hopefully the actual games can match expectations.

Everything else was a bit of a shrug. Rage 2 fell completely off the radar, so DLC isn't going to rope it back. ESO and FO76 aren't my style, and the latter had this combination of throwing a lot at the wall and nothing is wrong please be excited. That ESO trailer was pretty cool though, reminding me of Blizzard's cinematic trailers. Captain Keen just didn't seem appealing unfortunately.

All wrapped up in an Influencer hype package that had me nearly shut off the stream at multiple times to just watch all the trailers later.

Edit: Forgot about Project Orion. Still doesn't solve the issue on the internet provider side that still makes all the Cloud streaming future still seem a ways off in practicality for the majority of the audience, but I'm interested to see how that turns out.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Don't know why anyone expected Todd to apologise for the shit show that was 76. He doesn't care and Bethesda knows they can get away with so much in their two biggest IPs as long as the general kicks are there.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they mention anything regarding Starfield or Elder Scrolls 6?

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Just watching on YouTube as I didn't want to stay up last night, Man they're cheering and whooping everything in this conference, makes it seem fake as fuck.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Fuck off. Grow up and learn to control your emotions like the rest of us adults do every day.

I get being excited at certain moments but that dude was yelling randomly yelling and wooing louder than anyone else at random words and logo's, it was really annoying and obnoxious, he went on for a long time as well.

Apr 18, 2018
2 new IP's?

Deathloop and what's the other one, cannot seem to find a refenrence?

edit - Being daft, Ghostwire:Tokyo it is

Last edited:

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop look kinda interesting, although the first one could be a total dud if it is just some multiplayer shooter.

It's also just such a weird move for them to not show off anything from Starfield or Elder Scrolls 6, after teasing both of them last year. Although I guess I can understand them not wanting to hype up Starfield for people, since it's probably going to be multiplayer.

Danstanster

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off. Grow up and learn to control your emotions like the rest of us adults do every day.
I think it's a company kool-aid situation. I can get behind enthusiasm but when it's literally startling people when they speak and they have to collect themselves, someone will get talked to, was that hot mic Todd thing disproven?

Bethesda might be ignoring the stammers and stutters it causes convinced that general audiences will lose the context that it's not literally someone with a working relationship with the company.

Any noise is good noise unless it's the audience laughing too hard that it hurts Todd

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
the shouting/yelling was obnoxious enough to make me actively hate what was being shown. At some point I honestly thought that it's intentional sabotage.
I mean, when you have to yell for just the mention of dragons, which happened dozens of times, you really have to wonder if it actually annoyed the presenters too.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
You traversed the wasteland and formed your own communities in Fallout 76

"YEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHH"

"WOOOOOOOOOOOO"

*insane clapping ensues*

Elder Scrolls Blades is coming to the Nintendo Switch!

"YEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!"

Oh fuck off.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I really appreciate that they stepped up and took EA's place of worst conference of the show.
That was really shitty. I find it incredibly hard to think about ever supporting Bethesda again. Not only was Fallout 76 terrible but the way they responded was awful. Also that canvas bag false advertising.

I can't wait to see Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield on the corpse of an engine that Gamebyro is with a layer of makeup.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Watched the RPS video on Doom and goddamn does it look good. The worst thing about Doom 2016 was the relatively weak hit feedback from enemies, so I'm super happy to hear they've addressed this in spades in Eternal. I only got Doom 2016 a while ago, but Eternal will definitely be a day one purchase.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Well I didn't stay up to watch it live so caught it now, glad I'm not the only one who thought the WOOOO YYEAAAHHH hype guy was kinda overdoing it.

My takeaways: Why did they frame everything as an apology? Exactly how hard did Fallout 76 bomb?

Bethesda's publishing arm looks surprisingly consistent, both Doom and Youngblood look solid, while a new Arkane game always makes me pay attention. Hard to tell how Tango's new game is gonna play? But the concept, at least, is very cool. Also pleased that they're adding more stuff to Rage 2, but I didn't quite get if it was all gonna be free or not.

Bethesda Game Works on the other hand, wow, talk about phoning it in. Nothing new, just the announcement that they're trying to make Fallout 76 gradually less terrible by adding the things people told them about years ago ("finally! NPCs! A revolution! The Big Story Moves Forward!"), and just a lot of dreary mobile stuff that threatened to put me right to sleep. A year after they showed us a brief teaser from TES6 they still have nothing to say about that or Starfield? Do they even exist?

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to congratulate the ESO guy for how well he spoke and how he tried to minimise the gaps in his speech so the cheering lunatics didn't get as many times to interrupt.

Much better than last year where it was after every few words he said.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Well I didn't stay up to watch it live so caught it now, glad I'm not the only one who thought the WOOOO YYEAAAHHH hype guy was kinda overdoing it.

My takeaways: Why did they frame everything as an apology? Exactly how hard did Fallout 76 bomb?

Bethesda's publishing arm looks surprisingly consistent, both Doom and Youngblood look solid, while a new Arkane game always makes me pay attention. Hard to tell how Tango's new game is gonna play? But the concept, at least, is very cool. Also pleased that they're adding more stuff to Rage 2, but I didn't quite get if it was all gonna be free or not.

Bethesda Game Works on the other hand, wow, talk about phoning it in. Nothing new, just the announcement that they're trying to make Fallout 76 gradually less terrible by adding the things people told them about years ago ("finally! NPCs! A revolution! The Big Story Moves Forward!"), and just a lot of dreary mobile stuff that threatened to put me right to sleep. A year after they showed us a brief teaser from TES6 they still have nothing to say about that or Starfield? Do they even exist?
76 didn't bomb, financially at least. It seems to have sold relatively well (a good brand will do that). But they're well aware it left a bad taste in people's mouths and has harmed the brand somewhat, so I think that's why they're concerned and want to make sure it pulls a 180 and becomes a game people actually want to play (hence NPCs and Fallout 3 / New Vegas style dialogue trees with skill checks).

Regarding Starfield... yeah, it gets even muddier when you watch IGNs recent interview with Todd. Amazing interview that covers a lot of topics, but basically uncovers what most of us expected - Todd's team had very little to do with 76. The timeline is essentially: During Fallout 4's development they have Starfield in pre production knowing they'll move onto that once Fallout 4 releases. But they're also experimenting with a multiplayer mode for Fallout 4. They can't get it working, so Fallout 4 ships without it, and they don't bother with multiplayer as DLC either. A sister studio with multiplayer pedigree needs a new project though, so Battlecry is invited to work on the abandoned Fallout 4 multiplayer project, and spins it into its own standalone thing (76). Todd's team, now busy with Starfield, then joins in development on 76 for an unknown number of months to help with bulk content creation, which is now the Bethesda studio business model going forwards - 4 different Bethesda dev teams, all with their own games, but working together as one studio when a specific game enters the stage where content creation is ready for a big push. Starfield and TES6 will get the same multi-studio push when it enters that point in development.

That still raises big questions about why Starfield is taking so long, but we know Todd is happy to demand extended periods of dev time for his games when he needs them, including making them next gen only launch window games. And we know he likes to show them off only when they're ready to go (he mentioned in the interview he'd make it a week between reveal and release if he was allowed to - "No-one sees a big game announcement, gets hyped for it, and then says "I'd like to wait!") So I think it's likely that Starfield is doing well, but is next gen only, which coupled with next gen game showcases not happening yet AND Todd preferring to keep the reveal-release cycle as short as possible... that's why we aren't seeing it yet.

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
A sister studio with multiplayer pedigree needs a new project though, so Battlecry is invited to work on the abandoned Fallout 4 multiplayer project, and spins it into its own standalone thing (76).
That was imo a huge management mistake. Bethesda: so we have this BattleCry team who just fucked up the BattleCry game, what to do with them? Oh, let's reward them by giving them another project to butcher, let's say... which one... yeah, Fallout. And let's promote them to being a part of BGS while we're at it, goodness knows BGS is too small nowadays.
If BattleCry is canceled for lack of quality, so should 76.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
The crowd was insufferable. I'm watching it right now and I whenever I hear YEAAHHHH I just want to turn off this shit.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe I'm seeing people on Twitter saying Bethesda deserved the applause for Fallout 76. Even explaining how the game is just now entering a playable state with features that should have been there at launch, they think we should applaud Bethesda for supporting the game. They didn't even apologize for the mess it was at launch. What a time to be alive.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Next year is probably going to be Deathloop to open, Ghostwire Tokyo to follow, a new announcement or two (Fallout for Switch?), and then a Starfield deep dive for next-gen launch.