• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Bethesda have pulled all of their games from GeForce Now, other than Wolfenstein: Youngblood.

Please be advised most Bethesda Softworks titles will be removed from the GeForce NOW service today. Wolfenstein Youngblood will remain for all members. Founders members can continue to experience the game with RTX On.

www.theverge.com

Bethesda follows Activision in pulling games from Nvidia’s GeForce Now

Another bad sign for the state of cloud gaming as GeForce Now loses another publisher.

Nvidia's GeForce Now cloud gaming service has had a somewhat rocky launch since it exited beta earlier this month, and it's getting even rockier. The company says it's now losing games from major publisher Bethesda Softworks, which owns Bethesda Game Studios series like Fallout and The Elder Scrolls as well as id Software franchises like Doom. According to Nvidia, one title that will stick around is Wolfenstein: Youngblood, for reasons the company is not disclosing.

This announcement comes just a week after GeForce Now lost access to all Activision Blizzard titles due to a licensing dispute. Apparently, Nvidia had access to Activision Blizzard titles when GeForce Now was still in beta, but it never got full permission once the service became a commercial product and Nvidia started charging $5 a month for it. Prior to that, the service was free to use if you actually managed to get off the wait list.

After GeForce Now entered what Nvidia is calling its public trial, there was also reportedly a disagreement between the two companies over the platform's model, which allows subscribers to buy games on other platforms, like Steam, and use them on GeForce Now.

Looks like we might be seeing more and more publishers pull their games from the service now that Nvidia are charging for it. GeForce Now is now missing games from Activision Blizzard, Bethesda, Capcom, Konami, EA, Square-Enix, Bandai Namco, Remedy and Rockstar.

Quote from GeForce Now boss Phil Eisler regarding their current 90 day trial period that the service is in (as in, nobodies paying for it yet):

"As we approach a paid service, some publishers may choose to remove games before the trial period ends," Eisler continued. "Ultimately, they maintain control over their content and decide whether the game you purchase includes streaming on GeForce Now."

QxQl1zi.gif

Last edited:

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Bummer, Hopefully nvidia works out something with activision and bethesda and these games come back.

Being you have to own the games to stream them I am lost as to why the pubs pull their games. Maybe their own streaming service.

*conspiracy hat on* stadia can't compete so they are paying these pubs for exclusive rights to their catalog for streaming.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
*conspiracy hat on* stadia can't compete so they are paying these pubs for exclusive rights to their catalog for streaming.

I don't believe there are any Activision titles on Stadia.

I think the issue is more that Nvidia aren't paying the pubs rather than it being that Stadia is.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
GeForce Now it's just too good. These companies know they can probably get good cash from Google for exclusivity to Stadia, following Activision's steps.

This somehow will only end up hurting consumers, I can see it. In GNow you don't have to repurchase your game license, and these companies feel like they're missing out on something. But you're pretty much just renting a VM from Nvidia that has streaming software on it.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
If companies aren't receiving direct revenue from something like this, they have no reason to support it. By pulling their games, they can convince Nvidia to give them more money or shop the streaming rights to someone else, and in the long run, each publisher will want to set up their own streaming service if they can. Sucks but that's the reality of it all.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't believe there are any Activision titles on Stadia.

I think the issue is more that Nvidia aren't paying the pubs rather than it being that Stadia is.
Oh right forgot that Destiny is not activision anymore.

And yeah that makes a lot of sense, they are bummed nvidia is now charging for the service and they are not getting their cut. Hopefully they work out something

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If companies aren't receiving direct revenue from something like this, they have no reason to support it. By pulling their games, they can convince Nvidia to give them more money or shop the streaming rights to someone else, and in the long run, each publisher will want to set up their own streaming service if they can. Sucks but that's the reality of it all.

I think this is pretty accurate. Nvidia have no bargaining tools here. They offer the pubs nothing by having their games be part of the service (presumably - I obviously don't know the details of contracts!). The publishers have all of the power because without supported games, the service is nothing. Nvidia aren't making content for it themselves and they're seemingly not paying any of the subscription money out to the people who are providing them with content. It's obvious to see where this is going.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Bethesda: "How do you mean we are not getting any money from people who are not selling our games and users who already own our games?"

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
I would really like to know the reason pubs are doing this.

Everyone has to own a copy of the game to play it. Nothing is being stolen by doing this. I would think it would increase sales as the hardware barrier is removed. Why would publishers not want this? Nvidia is providing the hardware and the network.

If it's because of competition, then fucking get your streaming service up already and lets see if you can compete.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
*Bethesda releases game*

Every single person in the world with a pc, no matter the specs....ish is now able to purchase said game with the reassurance that theyll be able to play thanks to Nvidia Geforce Now.

*Bethesda says fuck that*

It makes zero sense whatsoever to pull your games from this "platform"

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Really brings to light just how much you don't own any game when these companies can tell you what hardware you're allowed to run it on after you've "purchased" your copy already.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
You can't support any of our games on your service unless you pay us for them!

.. Except that spin off game no one is buying. You can have that.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
They just want more money.... ESO is coming to Stadia but of course people will buy it on that platform. So streaming has nothing to do with it...

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
*Bethesda releases game*

Every single person in the world with a pc, no matter the specs....ish is now able to purchase said game with the reassurance that theyll be able to play thanks to Nvidia Geforce Now.

*Bethesda says fuck that*

It makes zero sense whatsoever to pull your games from this "platform"
They want money from Nvidia. Whether it makes sense or not, publishers have leverage here.

Oct 27, 2017

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

Of course they do. I personally bought 3 games that support Ray tracing, because I was now able to take advantage of that feature on Geforce Now. People that have a bad gaming PCs or none at all are also taking advantage of Geforce Now. Without a doubt this is increasing game sales. I'm sure that Activision and Bethesda are aware of that, but this might be a case where they think they might get even more money by having Nvidia pay them to have their games on Geforce Now. That or they did some exclusive agreement to have their games on another cloud gaming service or they themselves want to release a cloud gaming service.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These fuckers want to continue reselling you the games you already own until the end of time.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's so weird this thing launched the way it did. It's like nobody was consulted about it and Nvidia just assumed everyone would ignore it.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta keep afloat somehow until Elder Scrolls VI gives them another 10 years worth of revenue.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
They're not renting me the game. I'm using my own license to use the game with the publisher. Nvidia is only leasing me CPU time.
The game is installed on a third party device. Technically it's not your own licensed copy. That's why the pubs can get this pulled versus a case where you run your own server to stream the game. If every other player in the game is paying for a license then the publishers are not going to let a different service free load.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
And do you have the right to use this license on their server? Does Nvidia have a legal right to accept and operate users licenses like that?
Probably. But it's legal ground no one has crossed yet, and Nvidia is smartly assuming they can't pump as much money into lawyers and legal battles as Acti and Bethesda. So for now they're going along with the demands.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
And do you have the right to use this license on their server? Does Nvidia have a legal right to accept and operate users licenses like that?

I am sure that at least in EU you own it and have right to use it (and in case of software outside of games even sell it). By your definition i wouldn't be able to stream it via Steam Remote play.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Really sucks but it still has more games then Stadia

jk I dont want to be a part of this war I dont even like streaming

Al Kameido

Aug 15, 2019
God, I hope these greedy fucks don't discover Shadow PC and start to get their grubby hands on them.