• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, greed from Nvidia. They should share their profit, because they're potentially costing the publishers money. The publishers spend resources on their product; we would stop getting Switch ports if the streaming services don't compensate the publishers, because what is the point, then?

If you bought a game, sure, you can play it on any PC. But Nvidia's service extends to mobile devices, too, which are not personal computers. Do you expect to buy a game on Android and be able to play on Iphone? Nvidia is cheating the system by not sharing their profit with the owners of the games.
What profit? You release this is a loss leading strategy from Nvidia? You honestly think the the free tier and $5 a both to rent a VM is sustainable? This as about as short sighted as the publishers themselves. The only thing this does is help streaming adoption which is good for them even if they plan to release they're own services later on.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I'm not sure why people are making a big deal about Activision and Bethesda. Capcom, Square Enix, and Rockstar's games aren't in the service, either.
What profit? You release this is a loss leading strategy from Nvidia? You honestly think the the free tier and $5 a both to rent a VM is sustainable? This as about as short sighted as the publishers themselves. The only thing this does is help streaming adoption which is good for them even if they plan to release they're own services later on.
What does it change? GFN is obviously going to start charging more in the future to make it profitable. Not making deals with the publishers was very short-sighted of them.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's goddamn ridiculous that we have people on this thread acting like publishers should somehow get a "cut" from Nvidia for having their games work on GFN.
Like holy fucking shit.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure why people are making a big deal about Activision and Bethesda. Capcom, Square Enix, and Rockstar's games aren't in the service, either.

What does it change? GFN is obviously going to start charging more in the future to make it profitable. Not making deals with the publishers was very short-sighted of them.
Well everything your arguing about for a start. As it stands there's no money to be made and there will be no money to be made for at least a year so they're cutting off their nose to spit on their face for what reason exactly? There's no way to construe that the service is harming their current or future plans but there is evidence that the service is improving streaming penetration so you'll find little evidence to suggest that this is nothing other than prime time shortsightedness that will cost them in both the short and long term.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, greed from Nvidia. They should share their profit, because they're potentially costing the publishers money. The publishers spend resources on their product; we would stop getting Switch ports if the streaming services don't compensate the publishers, because what is the point, then?

If you bought a game, sure, you can play it on any PC. But Nvidia's service extends to mobile devices, too, which are not personal computers. Do you expect to buy a game on Android and be able to play on Iphone? Nvidia is cheating the system by not sharing their profit with the owners of the games.
Nvidia isn't cheating the system, they're providing a new way of getting access to the games you've already payed for, they're simply letting you use their hardware, it's a PC in the cloud. Every streaming platform except Stadia would "cheat the system" since everything was at first bought for one very specific local hardware. Say goodbye to xCloud, (Xbox in the cloud), PS Now (Playstation in the cloud), Shadow, whatever Valve is planning to do and already is doing with in-home streaming, etc. What you're describing would literally block you from taking any of your ecosystem purchases to any other box than you bought them on. Because why would you be allowed to play Hollow Knight on Vita through Remote Play? Nope, you bought that game for PS4, you obviously need to buy it on Switch or you're totally ripping off the poor publisher from a secondary purchase.
/s

As for Switch ports I'd say it's Nintendo's own fault if it turns out that it's as good or better to play games streamed from a cloud to a phone. And if that happens I'm sure Nvidia would allow them to team up and get PC versions streamed to Switch.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Because of the way their games were removed after the service left beta.
What does that change? Those companies are still as unwilling to participate in the streaming service as Activision and Bethesda, but Activision and Bethesda actually gave it a try (and clearly found it unsatisfactory) but are somehow the villains for it.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
The very idea of Bethesda trying their hands on their own streaming solution makes me laugh so hard, I honestly would love to see them try it just to see the level of clusterfuck they'll produce.
It's close but you mean this?

www.engadget.com

Id Software built a framework to make streaming video games better

Bethesda is jumping on the cloud-gaming train with Orion, a software collection that optimizes game engines for streaming. Essentially, Orion is designed to make games run better on platforms like Google's Stadia or Microsoft's xCloud. It works with any game and any platform, lowering latency by...

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Well everything your arguing about for a start. As it stands there's no money to be made and there will be no money to be made for at least a year so they're cutting off their nose to spit on their face for what reason exactly? There's no way to construe that the service is harming their current or future plans but there is evidence that the service is improving streaming penetration so you'll find little evidence to suggest that this is nothing other than prime time shortsightedness that will cost them in both the short and long term.
It's not like Nvidia is a small company that can't operate on a loss for a while. Securing deals with publishers should have been their priority. But maybe when GFN starts to actually make profit, Nvidia can make deals with the big publishers like Rockstar, Activision, Bethesda, Square Enix, and Capcom. Until they do, I don't understand the outrage over the publishers not wanting to be part of the service that isn't beneficial to them (for now).

I bet Microsoft would secure deals with the publishers for xcloud.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda: "How do you mean we are not getting any money from people who are not selling our games and users who already own our games?"

I'm lost. Like, legally could they even pull their games off?

If the user is logging into his own account accessing the games the user already bought and paying just for the streaming/rent of a machine running the game... What should the pubs receive?

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
What does that change? Those companies are still as unwilling to participate in the streaming service as Activision and Bethesda, but Activision and Bethesda actually gave it a try (and clearly found it unsatisfactory) but are somehow the villains for it.

I was just pointing out why they're being talked about and the others aren't.

It's not like Nvidia is a small company that can't operate on a loss for a while. Securing deals with publishers should have been their priority. But maybe when GFN starts to actually make profit, Nvidia can make deals with the big publishers like Rockstar, Activision, Bethesda, Square Enix, and Capcom. Until they do, I don't understand the outrage over the publishers not wanting to be part of the service that isn't beneficial to them (for now).

The question is what money are the publishers owed? They already got paid by the people playing the games, and Nvidia is just getting paid for providing machines to play the games on, which costs them money. xCloud is a totally different thing because you don't "own" those games. It's a library you pay to access, so it makes sense for the publishers to get paid there.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is bullshit, I bought the game on steam I should be allowed to play the game on the device I want to play.
NVIDIA is just renting a machine on the cloud, it's not like they're asking your for a 30% cut.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

Yes I'm sure we'll see plenty of deals going forward, as in exclusivity deals. I'm not sure that'll be something to look forward to.

The publishers are already getting payed for the games they sell. It should be enough. Why does it matter who I'm paying or what I'm doing to get access to a PC to play the games I've already bought?

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Nvidia isn't cheating the system, they're providing a new way of getting access to the games you've already payed for, they're simply letting you use their hardware, it's a PC in the cloud. Every streaming platform except Stadia would "cheat the system" since everything was at first bought for one very specific local hardware. Say goodbye to xCloud, (Xbox in the cloud), PS Now (Playstation in the cloud), Shadow, whatever Valve is planning to do and already is doing with in-home streaming, etc. What you're describing would literally block you from taking any of your ecosystem purchases to any other box than you bought them on.

/s

It's up to the streaming service provider to secure deals with the publishers. And Geforce Now isn't in the same position as Xcloud, because Nvidia is a third party selling the service, rather than the platform you sell your game on anyway. Microsoft already has deals with all publishers that sell their games on Xbox and many deals for Gamepass. Adding an additional clause to their contracts to allow streaming wouldn't be difficult. If Nvidia can't manage to secure the publishers' permission, it doesn't mean other streaming service providers can't do it.

I'm lost. Like, legally could they even pull their games off?
If the user is logging into his own account accessing the games the user already bought and paying just for the streaming/rent of a machine running the game... What should the pubs receive?

I suspect it's not so simple. I mean, Activision, Capcom, EA, Konami, Remedy, Rockstar and Square Enix, and now Bethesda aren't allowing their games to be on Geforce Now.

Clearly Nvidia has no legal ground to stand if the publishers don't want their games on their service.

Nov 8, 2017
I don't get why there are still gaming VM providers like Shadow that allow you to do what you want, and all of a sudden it's an issue when Nvidia does it.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
The funny/weird part is Nvidia are actually the ones who kind of lose out on things when this takes off as way less people will be upgrading their video cards in the future lol...

Publishers however are just freaking out right now for no apparent reason. I can rent a vm anywhere, install steam and play my games right now, and theres no problem. Why should there be one here i have no idea.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Every big publisher will have their own streaming service, and we'll hate it.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Right. Can you play any game you want regardless of service?
People keep screaming VM so I am just trying to understand what the service actually is.
You are renting a VM which is restricted to running a game client and the game you selected in the GeForce NOW front-end.
You are actually logging into Steam on the VM and installing the game yourself:

(queue times to access a GFN "rig" and install times were cut to shorten the video)

But while you have access to a Steam client, GFN will not permit you to install games other than the one you selected.
If you select Prey (2017) in the front-end it only grants write permission to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Prey\ and to run Prey.exe
Trying to install another game will fail and GFN will display an error message instructing you to only install the selected game.

The beta for GFN did not have those restricted permissions, and could run anything you owned.
I tried to trick it by installing Prey (2006) in place of Prey (2017) but Steam has fixed the issue where both games would previously install to the same directory, and it now installs the older game to \Prey 2006\
I'm not sure if there are other games with the same problem that currently run on GFN.

Clearly Nvidia has no legal ground to stand if the publishers don't want their games on their service.
I don't think that is necessarily true, but they are choosing to comply rather than fight it.

The funny/weird part is Nvidia are actually the ones who kind of lose out on things when this takes off as way less people will be upgrading their video cards in the future lol...
It's more likely that people using the service are going to have weaker systems than GFN servers, or don't have a PC at all - and this could encourage people to buy a gaming PC if they like the experience but want something better.
It doesn't replace a gaming PC for (most) people that already have a capable system.

There is an obvious difference between "never on the service" and "removing games I already paid for" from the user's point of view.

Every big publisher will have their own streaming service, and we'll hate it.
Just wait until they stop selling games. That's where this is headed.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
There is an obvious difference between "never on the service" and "removing games I already paid for" from the user's point of view.
Eh. Not at all. Because games by Capcom, EA, Konami, Remedy, Rockstar and Square Enix were also paid for by the user on Steam and other services, same as Activision and Bethesda's games, and those companies aren't allowing the customers to stream them, just like Activision and Bethesda. As Nvidia defenders keep saying here, Nvidia isn't selling games, the user isn't buying them on their service, so Activision and Bethesda aren't more anti-consumer than Capcom, EA, Konami, Remedy, Rockstar and Square Enix. Strange double standards.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What major publishers are left on the service now? Ubisoft? THQ?

Do Microsoft games work on GeForce Now? I don't think I own any of their games on Steam to try.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
The whole notion of some people defending this seems to be built on the idea that the developers deserve to resell you your game on every different platform that exists, which is absolutely ridiculous. I already bought the game. If there's another platform where they spend more development time to actually get it to work there and maybe make improvements then sure, I can see asking for money there but if I can make the game I paid for work on another device I paid for or am paying for then it's ridiculous that they should somehow deserve an extra fee for that.

If anything it should work the other way, I shouldn't have to rebuy games I already have just because they're on another platform.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
some of these posts make me think some of yall think pc gamers are legally obligated to rebuy their entire library if they own both a laptop and desktop if they want to play their games on both

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they won't follow Blizzard in banning people for 18 months for using the service when the game was officially available there.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Quote from GeForce Now boss Phil Eisler regarding their current 90 day trial period that the service is in (as in, nobodies paying for it yet):

"As we approach a paid service, some publishers may choose to remove games before the trial period ends," Eisler continued. "Ultimately, they maintain control over their content and decide whether the game you purchase includes streaming on GeForce Now."

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get it. We bought the game before. Isn't it like renting a PS4 to play the games you already bought?

Dreathlock

Nov 3, 2017
Nothing of value was lost. Bethesda is pure garbage. But i hope the trend does not continue. If i cant play Division 2 in the future GFN wont be worth it for me.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to add that a lot of Bandai Namco games have also been removed.

So this is god awful.

If that was a netflix thing I'd understand but we paid for all those games.

As it stands the feature is completely worthless.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
As Nvidia defenders keep saying here, Nvidia isn't selling games, the user isn't buying them on their service, so Activision and Bethesda aren't more anti-consumer than Capcom, EA, Konami, Remedy, Rockstar and Square Enix. Strange double standards.
There are no Nvidia defenders or double standards, there are just regular people getting pissed off when games are pulled from a streaming service that is actually great. All publishers that are doing this has been criticized, this is just the last one. The games are already bought on Steam. Why does it matter who I pay (or don't pay, there is a free service too) to provide the hardware to run Steam on?

Jun 2, 2019
Man, fuck this. Be it a laptop, my desktop PC, a GPD Win or a goddamn cloud service, if i paid for the PC version of a game i *should* have the right to play in whatever PC derivated platform i want.

Stop it with this greedy nonsense ffs.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

images

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
There are no Nvidia defenders or double standards, there are just regular people getting pissed off when games are pulled from a streaming service that is actually great. All publishers that are doing this has been criticized, this is just the last one.
I was responding to the person who said it was somehow more acceptable that the other publishers left after the beta. It makes no sense, especially since Nvidia said any publisher is free to leave during the trial period.

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
As Nvidia defenders keep saying here, Nvidia isn't selling games

btw, terms like 'nvidia defenders', apple fanboy, Nintendo fanboys etc are there just to raise tensions and oppose people, imho people should stop using them unless their intentions are bad.

Here I believe Nvidia did not really protect themselves with contracts etc. because if you can remove your game like that without a minimal period, a prior notice, etc. It means something is fishy with their GFN agreements, maybe Nvidia did not clarify that those games were only there for the beta/test rather than the commercial version, nobody can say.

Btw Bethesda, I have bought all the games I wanted to play like many, Skyrim, Fallout 4, but streaming games like Wolfenstein, RAGE, etc, games that did not sell well could have been good imho. So I don't understand that, you're not going to tell me that skyrim, rage,wolfenstein, dishonored are selling like crazy right now ?

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Eventually publishers will sneak anti-streaming or single device clauses into EULA's. I don't know, perhaps they already have. But publishers have no legal right to revoke access to licenses which do not include one. No one agreed to that when purchasing their licenses. But publishers are revoking access anyway, because they're in a position to force Nvidia to abide, and don't care if it tramples our legal rights.

Ideally they'd want to get paid for every time you access a game on a new device.
The differences between a remote virtual machine and a different PC are fuzzy.
At the very least, if you want to access a license from a virtual machine on a streaming service, you should have to pay the publisher toll.
Any publishers not on board with GeForce Now are thinking along these lines.

Just seems like this will all turn into some manner of anti-consumer hellscape.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So I don't understand that, you're not going to tell me that skyrim, rage,wolfenstein, dishonored are selling like crazy right now ?

Games like Skyrim and Fallout are always selling like crazy. They don't need the existence of GeForce Now to sell copies.

And that's kinda the point. These big publishers that have removed their games from the service - Bethesda, Activision, Konami, Square Enix, Capcom etc etc - don't need GeForce Now. Nvidia needs them. GeForce Now doesn't exist without content in the same way that Spotify doesn't exist without music. The service is nothing on its own. They've got all of the power.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
So if I go to a place where I cna use their PCs to game, I shouldn't be able to play Bethesda/Activision games? I bought that game, I can play it wherever the hell I want.

Does this mean that Steam Streaming is also a no-go? It's the same thing.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
It's close but you mean this?

www.engadget.com

Id Software built a framework to make streaming video games better

Bethesda is jumping on the cloud-gaming train with Orion, a software collection that optimizes game engines for streaming. Essentially, Orion is designed to make games run better on platforms like Google's Stadia or Microsoft's xCloud. It works with any game and any platform, lowering latency by...

You know what, this actually reinforces the idea that publishers are coming up with their own solutions just for their own titles which would fragment the already fledgling streaming drive.

Id Software designed it(which is really cool of them) and is targeted to consumers with slow internet, it should be available to as many people as possible.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Is Apple renting you hardware to stream your music to you?

EDIT: actually that's not even a proper comparison. this is like if Apple was taking your tapes and letting you listen to the highest quality imaginable in return.

That's exactly what iTunes Match is. It matches anything in your iTunes library (even, to use your comparison, digitised tapes at the lowest quality MP3 bitrate) and allows you to stream back that music from iTunes at proper quality. That's why it's called Match, because it matches your entire library with the iTunes library and fills in the gaps. It's amazing. I've been using it for years. Had hundreds of gigs of badly encoded MP3s from old CDs from years ago when I thought it was clever to encode them at a low bitrate to save space on an iPod. Now I've got access to them all at proper iTunes quality wherever I am (as long as I'm subscribing to Match).

And yeah, they kinda are renting you hardware to stream the music. The files are on their servers and the audio is simply being streamed to you, same as GeForce Now.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
So if I go to a place where I cna use their PCs to game, I shouldn't be able to play Bethesda/Activision games? I bought that game, I can play it wherever the hell I want.

Does this mean that Steam Streaming is also a no-go? It's the same thing.

Not really the same thing. With Steam Streaming, you stream your games from your own PC. With GForce Now, you stream games from NVidia servers, which is the same as what you do with Stadia. Activision and Bethesda want you to double dip their games to stream from Nvidia servers.

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
It seems like bullshit really because this service really seems like the best option or there.

More flexible than Stadia and Steamlink, etc.

There are obviously desks going on behind closed doors, especially with XCloud around the corner and the recent Stadia launch. Profit will win over what's best for the consumer.

Nov 28, 2017
God, I hope these greedy fucks don't discover Shadow PC and start to get their grubby hands on them.
This is what I'm really worried about. I use shadow religiously and don't want to see this happen to them.

I asked this in the other activision thread and no one had an answer.

I'm curious to know, if NVDA doesn't comply, on what grounds did (or can) ATVI block their products from being played on GeForce Now? Update their EULA on storefronts like Steam/Battle.net/GOG etc, with a line somewhere in it mentioning "your license of this game grants you permission to be played ONLY on mainstream Intel/AMD/NVDA CPU's/GPU's/SoC's and NOT on server class/enterprise hardware" or something like that?

NVDA are NOT distributing ANY titles on their service. They merely have their own custom overlay/UI to launch the game's executable, through the storefront's client on which you own the game. They don't get ANY % cut / royalty from these storefronts. The full 70% (or 100% if it's Battle.net) revenue of a game's purchase goes directly to ATVI. They just have server grade components in their blades like an Intel 8-core Xeon + a Turing Tesla P40.

Another popular (or at least gaining in popularity through word of mouth and social media influencers) cloud streaming service is Shadow. But the catch here that they directly offer a Windows 10 environment, as opposed to NVDA's curated section of games on their service.

How can you block a service like Shadow then? Same way I mentioned above using arbitrary restrictions for your products to work only on mainstream consumer home computing hardware? Do they even block their titles on Shadow by the way?

Green

Oct 27, 2017
These are different things. You can't compare a video card to a subscription service. Look, I work in the book publishing industry, and I can get the perspective of a publisher. It's the same as if a customer bought a physical book, but then a third party decided to scan those books and let the customer read it in ebook format for a monthly fee (if the customer can prove that they own a physical copy). It's not wrong from a customer's point of view, but that third party is still getting money for a service that uses my book. That service means that the book publisher might lose a potential ebook sale (Why would a person buy Skyrim on Switch if they can just pay Nvidia to stream it?). That would not be okay for me as the author of that book.

Again, do you expect to be able to play your blu-ray copy of a movie on Netflix (and for Netflix not to pay the publishers for the movies)? Just because games are digital, it doesn't change the fact that Nvidia must compensate the publishers for the games they use for the service they charge for. Without those games, their service is useless.

This is a bad analogy. This is more like me buying an e-book on kindle, and then reading it using a remote PC running the kindle app. Like ripping a DVD/Bluray to watch on Kodi or Plex. Or ripping a CD to upload to Google Play or Amazon Cloud.