• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So yeah this just happened. While the Steam version uses Denuvo, the version straight from Bethesda was uploaded without ANY protection. Somebody REALLY fucked up. Should be interesting for performance comparisons with and without Denuvo.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So is it possible to swap executables in this case? Because if so...

oh my.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did they patch it back in yet? I thought I got a 2nd "rage has successfully installed" prompt earlier and wasn't sure if that was just how the launcher handles patches or if it was just a hiccup. Gonna pause auto update either way I think.

Ebullientprism

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoops lol.

This has to be the first absolute clear comparison we will get right?

Whenever its been patched to remove there is always the question of the other patches that the game has had since then.

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bethesda offering consumer friendly features, I might actually consider using the launcher if this is the case (not to mention Rage 2's steam regional pricing suck and costs less on 3rd party retailers)

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is this why some people are complaining about hitching and bad performance?

It runs really well on my 1080 using the Bethesda store version

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, that was a total waste of money on Bethesda's part. Why pay for a licence for a DRM when you turn around and not use it?

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/RAGE_2#Notes

Findings from PCgamingwiki tester.

Most notable:
  • Initial launch time is much faster for the Bethesda.net version, ~1s vs. ~5s for the Steam version.
The Bethesda.net version can be launched without the accompanied Bethesda.net Launcher on a machine the game have never been installed on before, although in the main menu a prompt about the game requiring a one-time online validation is shown, which requires the Bethesda.net Launcher.
  • This is the main counter-argument of the conclusion, but when combined with everything else it would seem this is much more likely to be a basic custom DRM scheme from the developers of the game.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they know that Bethesda Launcher is like getting the Clap. People avoid pirating that version so as not to spread diseases.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
This seems to be happening more and more that there's barely any need for pirates to actually crack the game.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
They better play it off as "if you want the Denuvo-less version play it from our launcher!" now

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/RAGE_2#Notes

Findings from PCgamingwiki tester.

Most notable:
  • Initial launch time is much faster for the Bethesda.net version, ~1s vs. ~5s for the Steam version.
The Bethesda.net version can be launched without the accompanied Bethesda.net Launcher on a machine the game have never been installed on before, although in the main menu a prompt about the game requiring a one-time online validation is shown, which requires the Bethesda.net Launcher.
  • This is the main counter-argument of the conclusion, but when combined with everything else it would seem this is much more likely to be a basic custom DRM scheme from the developers of the game.
From there:
Press review copies were handed out to reviewers through the Steam version, where the press_review branch was even with the public branch upon release day.[3] This suggests that Denuvo Anti-Tamper might have been primarily used on the Steam version to protect the game from being leaked by reviewers online before the release date had passed.

Which is actually a valid argument, since we just saw a Denuvo-less Yakuza Kiwami 2 get leaked through the press build. I wonder if the Steam version will have Denuvo patched out, since it's now redundant.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
From there:

Which is actually a valid argument, since we just saw Yakuza Kiwami 2 get leaked through the press build. I wonder if the Steam version will have Denuvo patched out, since it's now redundant.

If Bethesda adds meaningful DLC to Rage 2 and also adds Denuvo to the Bethesda Launcher version of the game, Denuvo wouldn't be completely irrelevant.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
bethesda offering consumer friendly features, I might actually consider using the launcher if this is the case (not to mention Rage 2's steam regional pricing suck and costs less on 3rd party retailers)

The Bethesda Launcher has the same crappy regional pricing as Rage 2 does on Steam, sadly.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Hopefully they just remove Denuvo from all versions now that it's already out in the wild.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Omg, how sloppy can they be with their store? You know it's by accident because sometimes is bad for customers (security holes) and sometimes is good (this case). Good old Bethesda :)

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Me and my buddy with virtually identical PCs (he has a 2700x stock, I have a 1700 at 3.9 GHz, both have RTX 2080s) have had virtually identical performance, as we normally do in games. He has it on steam, I've got it on the bethesda launcher. We've both been around 90 fps at 1440p ultra settings. There may be a difference in CPU bound areas though.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Me and my buddy with virtually identical PCs (he has a 2700x stock, I have a 1700 at 3.9 GHz, both have RTX 2080s) have had virtually identical performance, as we normally do in games. He has it on steam, I've got it on the bethesda launcher. We've both been around 90 fps at 1440p ultra settings. There may be a difference in CPU bound areas though.
Ye, I'm the buddy. Put in around... 6 or so hours now and have not seen anything below 80 yet. 90 is usually right where I'm at so it's unlikely Denuvo is actually causing any sort of performance issues. That being said, I still want to see it removed from Steam and want to see some more scientific research than me just looking at my frame counter every once in a while.

Deleted member 11832

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So that's why my Bethesda version runs perfectly maxed on my 1070gtx? I thought people talking bad performance were crazy.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From there:

Which is actually a valid argument, since we just saw a Denuvo-less Yakuza Kiwami 2 get leaked through the press build. I wonder if the Steam version will have Denuvo patched out, since it's now redundant.

Denuvo ain't cheap and while we've seen a game or two leak via press / influencer builds, it's pretty rare, and probably not worth it if they were going to just launch a Denuvo-free version in a few days.

I'm betting on:

1. Accident
2. As someone suggested, for whatever reason their launcher doesn't play well with denuvo. IIRC some of the other games they put on the Beth launchers months / years after launch had their Denuvo removed when they did like Dishonored 2.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Now I'm glad I got it for the Bethesda launcher by accident (ordered it from GMG without noticing the DRM).

Can anyone confirm the size of the Denuvo-free EXE? Mine's showing up as 47,518 KB on Windows Explorer (46.4 MB when right-clicking on it). I just want to make sure there was no update, since I was only able to download the game a few minutes ago.

Jurai

Oct 27, 2017
Now I'm glad I got it for the Bethesda launcher by accident (ordered it from GMG without noticing the DRM).

Can anyone confirm the size of the Denuvo-free EXE? Mine's showing up as 47,518 KB on Windows Explorer (46.4 MB when right-clicking on it). I just want to make sure there was no update, since I was only able to download the game a few minutes ago.

that's the correct size for the bethesda version yes

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love publishers forcing useless DRM down the customers throats, specially when they paid for it and it gets cracked day 1.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Totally understandable. Netherrealm forgot to take the corpses out of the krypt.

Companies make mistakes.

Koeta

Dec 12, 2017
Shame it happened so soon, being a single player only game this might hurt some sales but at least it's more reason to remove that DRM from the Steam version sooner I guess.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
From there:

Same for Wolfenstein 2 (another Bethesda game), was leaked by a streamer after Denuvo was removed pre-release).

Oct 25, 2017
I think Denuvo mainly affects the startup and loading times.
But I think it would be still interesting to see a test.