• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 2, 2017
Bethesda has spent so much goodwill these last few years it's practically bankrupt in the faith department. Fallout 76, as has been laboriously documented, is a cavalcade of humiliation and laughably bad corporate decisions. Then we have Obsidian coming along with The Outer Worlds, just after Bethesda launched an expensive - and broken - subscription service for Fallout 76. The Outer Worlds is pretty much everything 76 isn't, and more besides. Hell, it's the best Fallout game since Fallout 2, and it isn't even a Fallout game. Basically, we don't need Bethesda anymore. It has served its purpose - barely adequately - and we have something better now.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I don't know if Bethesda is obsolete, but TOW is basically a Bethesda game that's better than any game they have put out except Skyrim, so

Nov 23, 2017
Considering the numerous human being employees at Bethesda are not actually automatons, this comparison/title feels forced and painfully unfunny.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely have infinitely more to prove than they did just following the release of Skyrim.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. We'll see what happens the next time Bethesda tries to make a singleplayer game (Starfield?).

Obsisdian and CDProjekt have outclassed it when it comes to quests and writing in 3D open-world RPGs, but when it comes to systemic sandbox gameplay in 3D open-world RPGs, no one else really does what Bethesda does in the mainstream space. The only RPG since Skyrim that kinda feels like Skyrim in that respect is Kingdom Come. Then again, not even Fallout 4 replicated that kind of gameplay, so it and Fallout 76 might be proof Bethesda itself is focusing less on systemic worlds and more on loot grind.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah New Vegas is still better than Outer Worlds, but Fallout 2 still the best game

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Because of one bad game?

Sure, Jan.
Fallout 3 released and was excellent. Since then, they faceplanted with 4 and 76, and have demonstrated that they know nothing about the IP or the genre other than surface-level aesthetics. They of course have Skyrim which every single person on Earth has played, and Elder Scrolls 6 has potential, but as far as the Fallout-esque games go, they're done. Obsidian is several tiers above them.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda is fine. Just because one studio is bad doesn't mean the rest of their studios are. Bethesda Game Studios is fine. The new studio that made Fallout 76 is terrible though.

Fallout 3, 4 and, 76 were all bad games. New Vegas is the only modern FO worth playing. Don't @ me.
Gonna @ you anyway to say that New Vegas is overrated garbo and Fallout 3 is better.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Its probably a stretch to call Fallout 4 straight up bad, but I think it was easily surpassed by its contemporaries and ofc something like The Outer Worlds.
Fallout 4 was bad. It would be torn apart if it launched today with that many blatant, fundamental issues in design and technical makeup.
Fallout 4 and 76 were both pretty shit lets be honest. And they were both also incredibly janky and buggy the engine also being total garbage doesnt help. Its amazing what can be achieved with a compitent engine and freedom in the creativity side.
Fallout 3, 4 and, 76 were all bad games. New Vegas is the only modern FO worth playing. Don't @ me.
Fallout 4 isn't bad, holy shit. It's at worst underwhelming, it's still way above average.
Fallout 3 being bad is literally one of the worst opinions I have seen on this site.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Jim's stand power is that he can conjure a defense force for literally anything by being on the opposite side of it.

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Thread whining
"Officially".

Narcissist. Still don't know why threads are still allowed every time this idiot farts.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It was inevitable that Bethesda (as in the publisher, not just BGS) started to GaaS-up their games after their single player games tanked commercially.

Hence Fallout 76 and Wolfenstein Youngblood.

But Doom Eternal looks amazing, and there's still a lot of talent in Bethesda's studios. So I think they'll find a balance that works for next gen at least. I wouldn't write them off just yet.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was the Fallout world I was in love with but now I know its just that type of RPG I really like. I can now do without Bethesda because OW did it so much better.

MattEnth

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Grand Theft Auto V, Red Dead Redemption 2, The Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed Odyssey...

Other franchises are successfully innovating on the Open World RPG genre.

Bethesda is not :(

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Fallout 4 got damn great reviews and excels in areas that Outer Worlds isn't even trying to compete with. You can not like it if you want, I certainly don't, but the narrative that it's a universally panned disaster in the same way 76 was is just complete bullshit. Plenty of my friends enjoyed it way more than New Vegas, and would have enjoyed it more than Outer Worlds were they at all interested in the linear, narrative dense offering Outer Worlds is selling.

I really hope Outer World's unique brilliance isn't just buried under a sea of people using it to take pot shots at Bethesda.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I was waiting for Fallout 4 for years and barely played a few hours. Outer Worlds has proven to me that I'm still into this type of game and I'm loving it. Haven't enjoyed one of these this much since New Vegas.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying Outer Worlds more than any Fallout game previously, but I've yet to play a console spiritual successor to the Elder Scrolls series. So until then I'll keep waiting for the next Elder Scrolls game.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
The only positive I can think of with Bethesda as of late is how they've turned ESO around. Sure it's not perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than how it was at launch. Other than that, yeah I'm not too hopeful for their future titles based on recent decisions. FO76 was such a disappointment in almost every way.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: thread whining
Another shitty Jim video. Don't understand why there's a new thread every time he posts one of these, yet other YouTube channels ( EZA, Giant Bomb, Kinda Funny) are relegated to an OT

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't watched the video yet, but BGS has achieve nothing but complete incompetence with the Fallout IP the entire time they've had it.

New Vegas was the perfect template. All they had to do was improve on it with Fallout 4. Instead, they made a horrible rpg with terrible writing, bad quests, a fundamentally broken settlement system, and an open world that can't even match up to their last effort on the Xbox 360.

They should stick to Elder Scrolls.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I count Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Fallout 76. That's five bad games.

3XiKMch.gif

Resetera is just too much sometimes.

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
Worst decision Bethesda ever made was renaming Battlecry Studios. They could have totally used that as a scapegoat for 76.

A bad studio whose namesake was canceled was responsible for 76, no?

And now Bethesda makes bad games?