• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
He doesn't actually talk about cross-play, though. He talks about a situation where an account gets bound to a single platform.

So Sony could allow the account to move between platforms, but still not allow PS4 cross-play, and that would be fine according to those quotes.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm willing to bet they will. Almost 0% chance they'll actually choose to miss out on that userbase.
Yea it's unfortunately a fat chance when it should be an easy decision if that's really how they feel. Would love to see them hold out on a PS4 version until something gives even if it's just this game and nothing else. It would at least be something.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Sony Responds "I don't need your game but probably you need my help!"
Sony doesn't have to respond, they've got a fanbase more than willing to defend them to the death over anything they do. Just look at this thread.

They don't care about the bad press, either. Their stance on crossplay already reached major news outlets and their response was still the same. They'll care once it starts to impact their lead in the console market and their ability to get new games on their platform.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
He was referring to Roblox and I would like to see his sources because the only thing I could find is that Roblox brings in over $60 million a year in revenue and just got done raising another $90 million to branch off into deals with other brands kinda like Legos does now. Even without Roblox, Sony is sitting good and continues to pull in cash with PSN and digital sales. They aren't losing sleep.

I agree. The novelty of playing Roblox on consoles wore off quick in my home. Their lil sister tho, she might still play it on XBO.

He doesn't actually talk about cross-play, though. He talks about a situation where an account gets bound to a single platform.

So Sony could allow the account to move between platforms, but still not allow PS4 cross-play, and that would be fine according to those quotes.

Yeah, sadly these 2 issues will get lumped together. And honestly, if they allowed cross progression but not cross play, that's a win. Not a total one but it's a start.

I asked in that massive thread, how many other accounts are locked like Fortnite? How many other accounts even allow cross progression?

I swear this wasn't an issue before and the same system was in place before Fortnite. Like games with a Ubisoft, EA, etc accounts.

I need to log on my XBO and PS4 to check Ubisoft, EA games.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, this is literally the first time I've heard of it, lmao.

Lmao for sure. Roblox is ginormous. 64 million monthly players. Two years ago they announced 178 million accounts which is bigger than Fortnite. Two years ago. It's still massive so who knows where that number is now. To be fair it's probably not aimed at you. It's a big kids thing. Absolutely massive on PC, Xbox and iPad as far as I know. It's one of the biggest games in the world.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"we will only release TES VI on consoles that allow full mod support"

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
tenor.gif

Even Nintendo supports crossplay, and they "hate" their fans.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
So many people in here just to say that a corporation doesn't care, to a group of consumers that clearly do care. So confusing why people would feel the need to run in here and defend Sony.

Vinci

Oct 29, 2017
They have access to PS4 gamers through other platforms; unless I'm meant to believe that PS4 owners don't own a mobile phone or computer capable of playing a card game.

I mean, I guess that's possible, but odds are pretty low. Just put it on everything but the PS4. You'll still get the folks who are at all interested through other platforms.

EDIT: Guys, if people own a PS4 and want to play a card game that isn't on it, but is available on literally every other device in existence, I'm sure they could muster up the courage to drag themselves away from the DualShock and play it. FFS.

Last edited:

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Everything should be cross play and cross progression. Everything.

Makes no sense to gate games based on platform to service based games and in a world where people change devices more frequently.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not really a big deal right now but they are sending a clear message for next generation. I just wish they had more balls and did this with Fallout 76 but at the very least they need to offer crossplay with Xbox One and PC and not support crossplay with PC and PS4 with 76.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was referring to Roblox and I would like to see his sources because the only thing I could find is that Roblox brings in over $60 million a year in revenue and just got done raising another $90 million to branch off into deals with other brands kinda like Legos does now. Even without Roblox, Sony is sitting good and continues to pull in cash with PSN and digital sales. They aren't losing sleep.
Factually speaking, they are losing money they would otherwise make, so your whole point of "good for business" is completely and utterly incorrect.

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man if I was a shareholder I would be furious if they skipped on a massive user base

Oct 27, 2017
Factually speaking, they are losing money they would otherwise make, so your whole point of "good for business" is completely and utterly incorrect.

Lol You still beating on this? Sony doesn't need Roblox. Would it be great to have? Yes. Is Sony's entire financial positioning dependent on whether or not they have Roblox or not? No, and that is where this conversation ends.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people acting like no dev/publisher would ignore the PS4? As if developers and publishers didn't constantly ignore the XB1 this generation and the 360/PS3 last generation.
Man if I was a shareholder I would be furious if they skipped on a massive user base
Welcome to every third party exclusive or game that isn't on every major platform, ever?

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol You still beating on this? Sony doesn't need Roblox. Would it be great to have? Yes. Is Sony's entire financial positioning dependent on whether or not they have Roblox or not? No, and that is where this conversation ends.

Sony is the one who ended the conversation for you, just like they did with EA Access. This is how you get them to the table and actually be part of the discussion because there really is no reason why you as a consumer should be telling anyone what content they don't need.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's one of the stupidest arguments i have ever seen.
Sony's entire financial positioning isn't dependent on them blocking crossplay either. It literally doesn't benefit them in any way whatsoever. It's, again, idenfensible garbage.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A card game may not be the thing to move Sony, Bethesda. Try your AAA games.

Vinci

Oct 29, 2017
It's intriguing to me how people are so supportive of developers when they refuse to downport or compromise their "vision of the game" and neglect other platforms, but the moment a developer is like, "Cross-play is core to our vision of the game," folks are basically bending over backwards to defend the offending platform against them - or saying, "Har-har, you must not like money then!"

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
If they do it they would make an example out of Sony. Do it Bethesda, please.

Also I doubt the ES card game is smalls potatoes. That games gonna make bank.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the game will be huge with microtransactions, would be interesting to see if Sony gives in. They definitely would want a share of that microtransaction cash, which they wont get if players can buy on PC/other places.

Mobile/PC will be the top platforms anyway, playing something like Hearthstone with a controller would just be clunky.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
A bigger game couldn't afford to not release to by far the biggest console base out there. It would be the emptiest threat ever.
I agree, but I also think that they are doing this NOW with THIS GAME so down the road when they want to do something similar with one of their bigger games (Starfield, TES 6,) this isn't a big deal. The work has already been done and they would not have to sacrifice one of their big guns.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
This would be a pretty interesting litmus test if it actually happened. I wonder if people would direct their anger (if there was even enough interest in TES: Legends to begin with) at Sony or Bethesda.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It reminds me of US sanctions on Iran!
They say those sanctions are for Iran regime, but they affects normal people life. Like PS4 users in this situation.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. They are going to ignore an over 80 million user base.

Surely.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It's intriguing to me how people are so supportive of developers when they refuse to downport or compromise their "vision of the game" and neglect other platforms, but the moment a developer is like, "Cross-play is core to our vision of the game," folks are basically bending over backwards to defend the offending platform against them - or saying, "Har-har, you must not like money then!"
You do have a point, lol.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
So many people in here just to say that a corporation doesn't care, to a group of consumers that clearly do care. So confusing why people would feel the need to run in here and defend Sony.

I'm baffled by every new post throwing up a shield. Shit is crazy lol. Dude said they designed their game to work a certain way (which currently wouldn't work on PS4) and people come running to defend Sony's honor. I admire the consistency if nothing else

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
"We're dedicated to this stance*."

*but only for our card game which is a very niche genre on consoles, anything that will actually make us money will obviously still come to PlayStation

Alautilus

Oct 25, 2017
Some delusional-ass posting in here with people pulling out press kit install base numbers like that means absolutely anything in this situation. Nobody at Bethesda gives a shit about the insignificant losses they're gonna take by skipping PS4 with a card game that relies on non-console platforms for uptake and revenue. It's embarrassing even by the low standard of these conversations to get all weepy about it.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. They are going to ignore an over 80 million user base.

Surely.
Why wouldn't they? They can still get that userbase just fine without needing to release on PS4. Everyone owns a smartphone. It's a ridiculously bigger platform than the PS4 will ever be. Why would they waste money and effort making a shitty version for PS4 that has less features because of Sony's terrible policies?

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To put it in perspective, there's over a billion active iOS and a billion Android actively used devices, on recent hardware. And it's a card game.

The PS4's entire install base is barely 4% of the phones, alone. The console versions exist because they're easy to do, not because they're needed for ROI.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
This may not be an issue for Sony right now, because no big game can simply skip the PS4 and its userbase.
but what about the PS5?
what if, for example, some companies started to take this stance with bigger games early into the life cycle of the next generation?
we will see if third parties care enough to put such pressure on Sony, or not.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Some interesting spin given Sony has no problem with cross play and cross progression with any platforms mentioned in the OP interview "Apple, Google, Steam, and Bethesda.net". Bethesda these days does seem to be keen to position themselves as an MS 1.5st party, though. And most journalists seem to be quite poorly educated in matters crossplay.

The mainstream gamers are no longer console players. The mainstream gamer will always be mobile player in the foreseeable future. The description of the game on App store will now lists "available on Android, iOS, PC, Nintendo Switch and Xbox One" as feature so I think the "mainstream" gamer will know.

Like this. The optimal market reach is clearly not the above, instead "available on Android, iOS, PC and PlayStation".

Though I suppose it is possibly strategic in that supporting XB1+NSW may eventually include PS4, the reverse not so much.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some interesting spin given Sony has no problem with cross play and cross progression with any platforms mentioned in the OP interview "Apple, Google, Steam, and Bethesda.net". Bethesda these days does seem to be keen to position themselves as an MS 1.5st party, though. And most journalists seem to be quite poorly educated in matters crossplay.

Like this. The optimal market reach is clearly not the above, instead "available on Android, iOS, PC and PlayStation".

Though I suppose it is possibly strategic in that supporting XB1+NSW may eventually include PS4, the reverse not so much.

What spin? Sony does indeed have a problem with crossplay and other consoles and Bethesda wants the game to have no issues on ANY platform. So this whole idea that Sony can dictate who can and can't do crossplay is not up to them. So either all the systems work with one another or the game won't come to whoever won't allow total crossplay and full cross platform progression. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Good i hope other companys start doing this, kinda sucks sony wont allow cross play yet. But they got the install base.