• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Well that's one of the stupidest arguments i have ever seen.
Sony's entire financial positioning isn't dependent on them blocking crossplay either. It literally doesn't benefit them in any way whatsoever. It's, again, idenfensible garbage.

We already know why Sony doesn't want crossplay. Why open up your platform to the possibility of your competitor being able to preach to your customer? Business wise it makes sense. However, you have guys like yourself who can't see that. For the record, I never once said I supported the stance that Sony is currently adopting. I just found it interesting that people are choosing to die on this hill for something that is purely a business decision and acting like Sony is personally going into your home and mollywhopping you.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I doubt that they are going to lose out on the biggest platform base to try and make a point. Eventually cross platform play will become acceptable even to Sony if the market pushes enough. We are not there yet.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
Some interesting spin given Sony has no problem with cross play and cross progression with any platforms mentioned in the OP interview "Apple, Google, Steam, and Bethesda.net". Bethesda these days does seem to be keen to position themselves as an MS 1.5st party, though. And most journalists seem to be quite poorly educated in matters crossplay.

Like this. The optimal market reach is clearly not the above, instead "available on Android, iOS, PC and PlayStation".

Though I suppose it is possibly strategic in that supporting XB1+NSW may eventually include PS4, the reverse not so much.

I think you are thinking too small on this issue. For a service game, you cannot just focus on the current market. You have to plan ahead, which is what I imagine Bethesda is doing right now.

For a free-to-play game like Elder Scrolls Legends, it is essential for Bethesda to secure the right to not only cross-progression but also cross-buying. If Bethesda were to follow the Fornite model, all the accounts "polluted" by PlayStation will be locked out of Nintendo Switch and Microsoft Xbox cross-buy. I think this is the biggest risk that Bethesda is unwilling to take.

One interesting question I have regarding your post is "what about the Google console?" If Google console were to come true, I am willing to bet Google will advertise the fuck out of the cross-play and cross-buy within the Google Play ecosystem. Will Sony be still willing to allow cross play and cross buy? These kind of uncertainty is yet another problem free-to-play devs don't want to consider no matter how hard Sony is swinging its fat market share cockhead.

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are overselling PS4's impact on PC/mobile-first game. Virtually all PS4 users can buy it on an alternate platform, and that's exactly the point of why no cross-progression wouldn't make sense for it. They are firing this shot first because when they enter negotiations they won't be able to comment on the situation easily if it never materializes.

Coloursheep

Oct 31, 2017
The only thing Sony might budge on is process moving between systems but no way they allow cross play other than PC. This isn't the game that's going to make Sony give it up and Bethesda would surely lose more than Sony by skipping PS4 over something that barely anyone cares about.
This makes it a bad bluff because Sony can easily call it then they have sent a message that they are not budging so other publishers will be less likely to try the same thing in the future.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
We already know why Sony doesn't want crossplay. Why open up your platform to the possibility of your competitor being able to preach to your customer? Business wise it makes sense. However, you have guys like yourself who can't see that. For the record, I never once said I supported the stance that Sony is currently adopting. I just found it interesting that people are choosing to die on this hill for something that is purely a business decision and acting like Sony is personally going into your home and mollywhopping you.
Be careful, you're going to be mistaken for a fanboy and defending Sony.

I've been checking, DC Universe Online doesn't offer cross progression with PC. That's an interesting case because it was a Sony game, they sold the company/studio that made it and it became 3rd party.

I wonder if the XBO version does.

I have a funny feeling this has always been their policy about cross progression. Its just under the spotlight now. Which is why some of us said in that massive thread Sony can't be the sole blame in this, especially if it turns out this was always their policy. Its funny because some of us saying devs, publishers shouldn't have signed the contacts, they should have took a stand was met with ridicule. Yet here we are, even tho it's not a high profile console game, they are taking a stand.

Might be another reason why Sony is basically ignoring this issue.

But, like with external hard drive support they might change.

Last edited:

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I really don't think it's a risky move for this type of game to not be releasing on Sony ecosystem.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I know they wont dare follow through with it but this is the stance we NEED devs and publishers to take.

Fuck Sony's stance on this.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if they change their minds, it's good they are pushing against this anti-consumer backwards policy Sony has that is fucking users over hard considering any other system is fine with crossplay.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
What FF14 pretty much did. I doubt Sony will care about this game, but it's probably the only thing that could get them to bend.

Though if Bethesda bend after saying this first, Sony win for good and I don't think they'll ever willingly allow other consoles cross-play, even with PS5.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Why no fallout 76? If you wanna send a message with a card game that very few will play on console there is something wrong

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Why no fallout 76? If you wanna send a message with a card game that very few will play on console there is something wrong
Because Fallout 76 will probably sell best on PS4 and if they tried it with something like that, they'll get the majority of the backlash, not Sony, which would just strengthen Sony's position if they decided to call their bluff with that.

Fallout 4 mods is a fairly recent example of this, was pretty much Sony's fault, but Bethesda got all the blame, backtracked on "no mods for PS4" and released it in a gimped form.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Get back to me when Epic Games say this about Fortnite 2.

Until then this is a non issue about a genre that people don't give a shit about outside blizzard games.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Because Fallout 76 will probably sell best on PS4 and if they tried it with something like that, they'll get the majority of the backlash, not Sony, which would just strengthen Sony's position if they decided to call their bluff with that.

Fallout 4 mods is a fairly recent example of this, was pretty much Sony's fault, but Bethesda got all the blame, backtracked on "no mods for PS4" and released it in a gimped form.
I understand you but with this move how many sales will they lose?50000 100000?they aren't enough to send a "message"

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Not sure who'd want to play that game on console anyway.

Seems like it was built from the ground up for phones.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I understand you but with this move how many sales will they lose?50000 100000?they aren't enough to send a "message"
With this game? Not much (I know it's free to play before someone points it out), as these type of games aren't all that popular on consoles.
Fallout 76? Millions of sales. It's too big of a risk to take and cross-play isn't important enough to risk that for, which is why they and no one else will. Just maybe do it with their niche stuff.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt that they are going to lose out on the biggest platform base to try and make a point. Eventually cross platform play will become acceptable even to Sony if the market pushes enough. We are not there yet.

The game is available on mobile and PC. Do you really think PS4 is the biggest platform base?

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
I doubt if this affected anything in Sony 's arrogant mind. If it is Fortnite, then maybe.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
We'll see. The backlash from those who want the game but don't care a bit about cross-play will be much worse than the backlash from those who want crossplay.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

PS4 is not the biggest platform for this game.

Most users who own a PS4 have probably another device where this game runs on. It is surely inconvenient for PS4 owners who want to play this game on TV.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It will be released on PS4, no matter what. No way they will skip that userbase.

They won't need to skip it because, presumably, those PS4 only players presumably also have a smartphone or a computer. Even if Sony don't allow the game as designed to operate on PS4, PS4 players should be able to play it on mobile or PC instead.

Oct 27, 2017
Be careful, you're going to be mistaken for a fanboy and defending Sony.

I've been checking, DC Universe Online doesn't offer cross progression with PC. That's an interesting case because it was a Sony game, they sold the company/studio that made it and it became 3rd party.

I wonder if the XBO version does.

I have a funny feeling this has always been their policy about cross progression. Its just under the spotlight now. Which is why some of us said in that massive thread Sony can't be the sole blame in this, especially if it turns out this was always their policy. Its funny because some of us saying devs, publishers shouldn't have signed the contacts, they should have took a stand was met with ridicule. Yet here we are, even tho it's not a high profile console game, they are taking a stand.

Might be another reason why Sony is basically ignoring this issue.

But, like with external hard drive support they might change.

Interesting indeed. There's no possible way that any of the Fortnite issue would have went through without someone from Epic signing off, yet Sony gets to take majority of the blame. Of course with them being in ththe dominant position, it just makes it easier for people to hate on them and push the underdog narrative.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Correct. At the end of the day money talks, and the PS4 ecosystem is just too big to ignore out of principle.
I think he made it as clear as humanly possible that if they don't allow cross play and progrsssion it won't come to the platform. Mobile and Switch are likely their main desired platforms anyway with PC and Xbox as side perks.

He's not going to make these types of statements as a company lead then go "LOL it's out anyway! We could never ignore teh munny!"

If developers don't stand up to Sony no one will. Look at all the posters here trying to take away from what's going on and downplay the game to try and defend Sony's right to deny them the features other platforms have. Such blind loyalty is scary.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (A day): Platform Wars. Accumulated Infractions.
lol at the Sony fanboys outrage

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Can this guy stop lying?
Over a decade in this industry with all the social media sites blasting him almost every year, and he is still lying.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Good if true.
Sad even with Sony knowing they have inferior versions of games isn't enough to implement cross network to fix it. The only next step from that is not having the game at all.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
MS should jump in and convince Bethesda to not release Fallout 76 on PS4 either if Sony doesn't allow crossplay by offering some monetary compensation to Bethesda for the lost sales in case Sony doesn't comply.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
They won't need to skip it because, presumably, those PS4 only players presumably also have a smartphone or a computer. Even if Sony don't allow the game as designed to operate on PS4, PS4 players should be able to play it on mobile or PC instead.
This is not how it works. Not everybody has a potent enough smart phone or PC to run it. And some people just want to play on their PlayStation 4 with a controller sitting on their comfy couch and Bethesda knows this.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
  1. [QUOTE="Hrodulf,post:11376601,member:6481"] They'll care once it starts to impact their lead in the console market and their ability to get new games on their platform.[/QUOTE]
So never then?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is not how it works. Not everybody has a potent enough smart phone or PC to run it. And some people just want to play on their PlayStation 4 with a controller sitting on their comfy couch and Bethesda knows this.

I guess those people should buy another console then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But those [terms] are essentially non-negotiable. We can't be talking about one version of Legends, where you take your progress with you, and another version where you stay within that ecosystem or its walled off from everything else. That is counter to what the game has been about."

I told Hines that Sony isn't letting Fortnite offer cross-play, and that game is the biggest thing out there right now. "I am aware," he said. "I'm just telling you that's our stance. That is our intent. And that is our message. Not specific to anyone in particular, but to everyone we are talking about. This is 100 percent clear. This is what we are doing, what we need, and what we intend."

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Good on bethesda. I hope more pubs will do this to make Sony reconsider their stance.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
He doesn't actually talk about cross-play, though. He talks about a situation where an account gets bound to a single platform.

So Sony could allow the account to move between platforms, but still not allow PS4 cross-play, and that would be fine according to those quotes.

"[The Elder Scrolls Legends] is a strategy card game that encompasses both single and multiplayer," Hines said. "It is both cross-platform play and cross-platform progress."
"It is our intention in order for the game to come out, it has to be those things on any system."
"It doesn't matter what platform you play on, you play against everyone else who is playing at that moment."

He's quite clearly talking about cross-play too.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Bethesda, if you want to make Sony sweat you're supposed to do it with things they care about. A card game is not going to cut the mustard.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Hey Bethesda, if you want to make Sony sweat you're supposed to do it with things they care about. A card game is not going to cut the mustard.

They're not trying to make Sony sweat. They're trying to make the best version of their game possible. Releasing on PS4 with their current policies means the PS4 version would massively suffer. We're already seeing PS4 players suffer limited versions of Minecraft and Fortnite due to Sony's policy. Hines is just saying that if the platform doesn't support one of the core features of the game then it obviously won't release there.

PS4 players have a ton of other platforms they can play it on (including the phone that presumably already own) if they really want to play it.