• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I find it hard to believe a company that's threatening to sue individual people for selling new games as new if going to turn their back on an 80+ million userbase.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just baffled by the constant suggestion - and disgust(?) - that this is a political point or that Bethesda are trying to make a talking point of it to put pressure on Sony. There's no suggestion in the interview that this is anything more than them saying 'our game has this feature - if a platform doesn't support it then it can't release there'.

Bethesda didn't bring up Sony and they didn't bring up not releasing the game on certain platforms until asked. They said that the game supports cross-play/progression and the interviewer pushed them to clarify about PlayStation. They literally didn't bring up the point and only answered it when asked specifically about that platform. They answered vaguely and even refused to name Sony outright. If this was them 'putting pressure on' or trying make it a talking point they're doing a pretty bad job of it.

Why are so many people leaping into the topic all defensive and criticising Bethesda for 'making a point' or for trying to push Sony into doing cross-play? As far as it appears from the literal words in the interview, that's not their intention and they just clarified their point when questioned about it. So many trying to make this into some us vs them dramatic point. They just might not release the game on PS4. That's fine. Loads of games end up on some platforms but not others. If there's a policy in place that means one of the main features of the game won't work on PlayStation then it's perfectly understandable why they would skip that platform. Just play it on your phone if you don't have any other consoles and care enough. Why so tribal.

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
I think bethesda is trying to control who gets paid for things sold for their game. They do not want to lose a cut to the middlemen, Sony, Microsoft, Steam. They just said that Fallout 76 will no be on Steam. If they can sell their loot boxes on their own site, Sony/Microsoft/Valve do not get a cut because of the cross-play. This is a double edged sword.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think bethesda is trying to control who gets paid for things sold for their game. They do not want to lose a cut to the middlemen, Sony, Microsoft, Steam. They just said that Fallout 76 will no be on Steam. If they can sell their loot boxes on their own site, Sony/Microsoft/Valve do not get a cut because of the cross-play. This is a double edged sword.

But Elder Scrolls Legends is gonna be on Xbox and Switch and it's already on Steam and iOS. All of those stores will take 30%. That's nothing to do with not putting the game on PlayStation.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I 100% believe Sony should allow cross play, but given their recent statements on Fallout 76 as well, this just comes across as Bethesda taking shots at Sony, indirectly or otherwise, for their current stance on cross play.

I would be legit shocked if Legends doesn't make it to the PS4 regardless, given the 80+ million system base it has, but if it doesn't, and it makes Sony take a step back and look at the potential long term effects, that would be nothing but a net positive for gaming.

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
But Elder Scrolls Legends is gonna be on Xbox and Switch and it's already on Steam and iOS. All of those stores will take 30%. That's nothing to do with not putting the game on PlayStation.
Its called baby steps. Is Bethesda going to start putting loot boxes out on their own site, that cuts out the console makers?

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol at some of the defensive comments in this thread for Sony.

Sony will either let them release it or they won't and it won't be available. The cocky users saying Bethesda won't turn down the profit sound obnoxious.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, hope they go through with this. I keep saying in the Fortnite threads that I'd love to see a third party publisher go toe-to-toe with a console manufacturer on something like this. They're the only ones who could make Sony change their stance.

I have a PS4, doesn't mean I support Sony on this horse shit.

And as far as "Bethesda not wanting to lose out on money" - I'm pretty sure they're doing just fine. Mad respect if they stick to their guns and lose out on money on this to prove a point, and to bring Sony into where the industry is going.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Its called baby steps. Is Bethesda going to start putting loot boxes out on their own site, that cuts out the console makers?

Yes, the game features full cross progression so you can spend all your money on Bethesda's own service if you want and it'll carry over to any platform. Every other platform seems ok with that. I assume the impact is minimal.

If I spend anything (like in Fortnite), I'll buy on Xbox because I can buy from any region store meaning I can get the best price. I buy V-Bucks from Turkey and they're about half price. Some platforms won't let you directly use V-Bucks bought on other platforms but things that have been bought with those v-bucks carry over fine. For example, if I buy 2,000 v-bucks on Xbox they won't show up on my Switch. But if I spend those 2,000 v-bucks on a skin, that will show up fine on Switch (and PC and mobile). Just not on PS4 obviously.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Bethesda says situation could be "fairly dire" if Sony disallows The Elder Scrolls Legends cross-play

"But what if Sony says no - would Bethesda go as far as not to launch The Elder Scrolls Legends on PS4?

"This is a really good question," Hines said. "I imagine the answer is fairly dire but I don't want to jump to conclusions yet because there's a lot of space between 'yes' and 'no'. What if they so 'no' to this but 'yes' to this?" It could present an unforeseen and workable solution.

"It remains to be seen," he said. "Whatever they say, we will continue to have a conversation with any platform directly. I don't want to play this out in the court of public opinion. We respect Sony, we respect Microsoft, we respect Nintendo. If I or my company has an issue, we will bring it up with them directly; we know who to call, we know who to email - we'll talk to them and see if we can figure it out."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...the-elder-scrolls-legends-cross-play#comments

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
"This is a really good question," Hines said. "I imagine the answer is fairly dire but I don't want to jump to conclusions yet because there's a lot of space between 'yes' and 'no'. What if they so 'no' to this but 'yes' to this?" It could present an unforeseen and workable solution.

Exactly.

Like FF ARR, there are still talks about it coming to XBO, and the hold up could be Sony, but it's still not on XBO.

Like couldn't ARR just do cross play with XBO and PC of Sony wasn't on board?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
"Whatever they say, we will continue to have a conversation with any platform directly. I don't want to play this out in the court of public opinion. We respect Sony, we respect Microsoft, we respect Nintendo. If I or my company has an issue, we will bring it up with them directly; we know who to call, we know who to email - we'll talk to them and see if we can figure it out."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...the-elder-scrolls-legends-cross-play#comments

This is a really good quote and totally sensible.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Interesting move. Ballsy but could make sense, this will probably be orders of magnitude more popular on mobile platforms than a stationary home console anyway. Wow at the hurt over a single mobile game not releasing on PS4. I'm sure you can play it elsewhere if you want to.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bethesda says situation could be "fairly dire" if Sony disallows The Elder Scrolls Legends cross-play

"But what if Sony says no - would Bethesda go as far as not to launch The Elder Scrolls Legends on PS4?

"It remains to be seen," he said. "Whatever they say, we will continue to have a conversation with any platform directly. I don't want to play this out in the court of public opinion. We respect Sony, we respect Microsoft, we respect Nintendo. If I or my company has an issue, we will bring it up with them directly; we know who to call, we know who to email - we'll talk to them and see if we can figure it out."

oh man, glad to hear that.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda barely ever needed a reason to drop Sony. I've never seen a developer be more partial towards a console brand/company than Bethesda is with Xbox/MS.

Not that it bothers me. It's just what I've noticed.

Considering Sony put severe restrictions on Fallout and Skyrim console mods as well: If Microsoft is more amenable to their ideas, it would make sense for the company to prefer Xbox.