• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/13/pete-hines-bethesda-interview-we-do-believe-in-single-player-7939215
"Well, here's the thing. We've always gotten on well with Nintendo, it's just a question of do the games that we make… technically are they a fit for the platforms that they're making? In the past the simple answer has been no. Like, Skyrim did not run on anything that Nintendo was making. Could we have changed a bunch of stuff to make it work? Maybe. But that's not our approach.

But in the case of the Switch the game as we made it, does it run on this? Yeah, it does! It runs well. And so Skryim, Wolf, Doom 2016, Doom Eternal, Shelter, Legends – all of those things are things we've said, 'Look, this either can or will run well on a Switch'. And we continue to look at every game that we make, because we want as many people to play it as possible. I have my Switch with me here in Germany, I think it's great to be able to take games you love with you."

On Exclusives

"It's possible, but that's up to the devs in terms of what game is it that they'd be talking about... We're always having conversations with them, but again those conversations wouldn't necessarily take place with me, they'd take place with a dev to say, 'We have an idea for a this or a that and we wanna do a game that is a crossover with the Switch'."

On Smash Bros.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Any Bethesda rep in Smash would likely be DLC (assuming that we get any DLC) given how recent the partnership between them & Nintendo is relative to when the base roster was finalized (I.E. as early as December 2015).

Piston

Oct 25, 2017

Having these ports of older games appear on the system is fantastic, and finally gives Nintendo fans the chance to try out these franchises for, potentially, the first time, but what about new stuff? Hines was asked whether or not Bethesda would ever consider making an exclusive Nintendo title, and the answer is pleasingly open to the possibility.

"It's possible, but that's up to the devs in terms of what game is it that they'd be talking about... We're always having conversations with them, but again those conversations wouldn't necessarily take place with me, they'd take place with a dev to say, 'We have an idea for a this or a that and we wanna do a game that is a crossover with the Switch'."

As a final, last-minute question, Hines was then asked about Super Smash Bros., and particularly whether or not Bethesda has spoken to Nintendo about the franchise. His response?

"Oh yeah."

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Make it happen, Todd

oxnTPp5ivO36B2OfbwNhrpvcwatIPZ3eX3Faqt6Cjgg.jpg

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
:O

Although I wonder what NDAs would allow him to say this if there WAS Smash Bethesda content

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Life's headline is a little sensational in comparison to what they said in context for the "exclusives". The Smash Bros thing seems to be the higher potential chance of happening.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
Wait, Bethesda made a Home Alone game for NES...

Kevin McCallister for Smash confirmed

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Any Bethesda rep in Smash would likely be DLC (assuming that we get any DLC) given how recent the partnership between them & Nintendo is relative to when the base roster was finalized (I.E. as early as December 2015).

You never know, they could've been talking about NX support as early as 2015. Plus Doom has been on Nintendo consoles before and is as iconic as any other third party franchise.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium

This is amazing but the smash move should be bfg

Edit: Seemingly impossible to quote agent strange, but that was what i was referring to

Jambi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll talking about doom guy when the reality is that vault boy fits smash way more.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Woah. Their games on Switch must be doing pretty damn well then wich is nice for everyone! Years ago will never thought about a Bethesda game appearing on modern Nintendo consoles and now, Bethesda has become the main 3rd party western supporter for the Switch to the point it might end up having exclusive titles. So surreal but cool af.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Doomguy as DLC (if we get any DLC), perhaps? He'd be the first western third party character to be in Smash.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Woah. Their games must be doing pretty damn well then wich is nice for everyone! Year ago will never thought about a Bethesda game appearing on modern Nintendo consoles and now, Bethesda has become the main 3rd Party supporter for the Switch to the point it might end up having exclusive titles. So surreal but cool af.
Actually, about a year ago is when Bethesda announced Doom and Wolfenstein. Also Skyrim was a part of the system reveal.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You never know, they could've been talking about NX support as early as 2015. Plus Doom has been on Nintendo consoles before and is as iconic as any other third party franchise.
Odyssey aside, it seems like BotW was the cut-off point for any significant representation in Smash Ultimate's base game. If the odds of any Day 1 representation for ARMS & Xenoblade 2 are slim-to-none, I'm not sure if a Bethesda rep is all that likely on Day 1. Is it possible, sure. Likely, probably not.

Of course, if we get DLC, then Doom Slayer has a higher chance of getting in.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway I've dreamed of Bethesda-Nintendo collabs. I was hoping id was doing Metroid Prime 4.