• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017

Commander Keen would be an incredible pick considering the history there.

The technology that made Keen possible and id an actual notable company was developed while Carmack when he was trying to get smooth scrolling on IBM PCs, which was a real feat at the time. The tech demo he made was so impressive that Tom Hall suggested recreating the first level of Mario 3 in it, and John Romero suggested pitching the demo to Nintendo as proof of concept for a licensed PC port of Mario 3. Nintendo turned it down, but they kept working on the tech, which became Keen, which was id's first real smash success.

This was the demo:

And this was the SMB3 pitch:

Oh. My. God.

Please. I want this badly.
I'll buy ten copies.

Could he be a mega man echo fighter? It doesn't reeeaaally fit... but, eh, out of all of them it's closest, I guess?

He's been on Nintendo systems before, too.
61F7G78CHBL._SX342_.jpg

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Vault Boy would be the best choice for a new Smash character. Think about all the move possibilities as perks.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dohvakin is the obvious choice, using the shouts, the diverse weapons, etc.

Doom guy would be an edgier Samus clone.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Doom Slayer is probably the last remaining third party Smash Bros character that would get me mega-hyped

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
The only character iconic enough would be Doomguy, but he is simply too violent.

Unless he'd only use explosives, bfg, plasma guns and stuff. But what's a Doomslayer without a double barreled shotgun

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be amazed if Doom Guy is ever in Smash. I'd love it so much, but it would be surreal for a franchise like Doom to get includer in Smash.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We've already got Mario vs Sonic and Link vs Cloud. Doom Guy vs Samus is definitely a dream match up.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Does Japan have an reservations/issues with the Fallout franchise and whole tongue in cheek shtick it has with nuclear fallout and atomic weapons in general? I wonder if there might be some resistance to a Vault Boy given atomic weapons and destruction are pretty central to his character.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Forget Doomguy and B.J., have Commander Keen appear in Smash

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The only character iconic enough would be Doomguy, but he is simply too violent.

Unless he'd only use explosives, bfg, plasma guns and stuff. But what's a Doomslayer without a double barreled shotgun

You could say the same about Bayonetta. Very violent, iconic weapons are two handguns.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into battle

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doom Guy in Smash would be cool

Skyrim Guy in Smash would be the most boring and shitty choice I can literally imagine

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
The Smash team converts all art into a Smash aesthetic. It will look fine.
That's what's great about them, they don't really. They tend to make faithful HD versions of the source with some small tweaks which has been fine for all the picks so far but would be disastrous with a BGS game or Minecraft Steve.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Goku would be totally fine. My main worry is artstyle and the Bethesda failed-realism "art" style would look like actual vomit next to Villager or Megaman.

Even more so than usual.

Give Doom guy more colorful/saturated shades of green and he wouldn't look any more out of place than Samus.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but feel like franchises like DOOM, Tomb Raider and Elder Scrolls just feel a bit too "out there" for Smash, even more so than series like Bayonetta or Metal Gear, as weird as that sounds.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but feel like franchises like DOOM, Tomb Raider and Elder Scrolls just feel a bit too "out there" for Smash, even more so than series like Bayonetta or Metal Gear, as weird as that sounds.

Not sure how you see it that way. Doom is one of the most iconic franchises in gaming, is extremely wacky and over the top and is about as arcadey as FPS games can get. Elder Scrolls is a fantasy RPG, plenty of fantasy RPG characters are in Smash already.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Give Doom guy more colorful/saturated shades of green and he wouldn't look any more out of place than Samus.

Plus if Sakurai was gonna add Doomguy, he will likely choose the classic Doomguy from Doom 1 and 2, which doesn't look too different to Simon Belmont's character art from the original Castlevania in terms of art style.

latest

latest

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I won't deny Doom's legacy but Doom Guy just seems like such a nothing character conceptually.

It's one of those characters where his series is of more significance to gaming than the character himself, he is iconic because his series is iconic.

I mean, just look at the fact that gamers have collectively refused to stop calling him Doom Guy.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of those characters where his series is of more significance to gaming than the character himself, he is iconic because his series is iconic.

I mean, just look at the fact that gamers have collectively refused to stop calling him Doom Guy.

True, the only things we know about Doom Guy is that he's a space marine, and he's pissed about demons killing his pet bunny and seeks revenge in the second game.

latest

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless they're using Nintendo IP then why the hell do they want to make Switch exclusives?

Dec 5, 2017
Everyone is saying doom guy or Skyrim guy. Hold your horses. I think there is an obvious choice, one that would be unique, recongizable, and fit into the SSB universe.

Vault boy.

He is instantly recognizable, a cultural icon, and the star image of fallout. That plus a fo3 + nv port ....