• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
bethesda.net

Why Microsoft Is the Perfect Fit

Today we announced we’re joining the Microsoft family...

But the key point is we're still Bethesda. We're still working on the same games we were yesterday, made by the same studios we've worked with for years, and those games will be published by us.

I guess the acquisition doesn't mean, that all the IPs become Xbox exclusives then.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I wonder if those games will be the last ones, though? Ones that they've probably already had platform agreements/advertising deals with and after that point it'll be Xbox/PC only or if they're gonna let them ride out however they want still.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
IDK
EicPjqVWkAE-vqC

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if those games will be the last ones, though? Ones that they've probably already had platform agreements/advertising deals with and after that point it'll be Xbox/PC only or if they're gonna let them ride out however they want still.

I honestly think they will stay multiplat but will be in game pass day 1.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Bethesda isn't joining Xbox Game Studios, they're joining Microsoft. So they're still separate entities even if they'll work together.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020

Most likely will be the last 3rd party, otherwise whats the point?

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
All games being worked on now will be finished on all the platforms they were already working on.

Xbox has already done this before. Doesn't mean new games that start development after today will come to any platform except Xbox and PC though

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I expect nothing will change for the big games like the elder scrolls, fallout or doom other than gamepass day 1, but smaller titles are probably going to become Xbox/PC.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shut up, Bethesda. We all know the second your "contractual obligations" are fulfilled you're never gonna put out a single game on Playstation. Don't try to damage control.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I expect nothing will change for the big games like the elder scrolls, fallout or doom other than gamepass day 1, but smaller titles are probably going to become Xbox/PC.

Yeah they will do some smaller exclusives I imagine 100%, maybe dishonoured?

But biggies will be multiplayer with probs a MS Advantage such as gamepass.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
They will release whatever they MUST on PS (already announced to release there basically) and then it's over. Let's be honest.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Bethesda isn't joining Xbox Game Studios, they're joining Microsoft. So they're still separate entities even if they'll work together.
This is very wishful thinking on your part. Once the games already announced for other platforms are done ( which MS is good about honoring), they have zero obligation to put them out on other platforms. Time will tell.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it was obvious that they were at least going to finish up the titles they already have in development. It would be a complete waste to scrap Playstation versions of nearly completed games.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
We'll have to see what happens with their next games. They're not gonna change platforms for their current games just like all of Microsoft's past acquisitions. What matters is what they make after they're bought.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
bethesda.net

Todd Howard On Joining Xbox

I have had the pleasure of working with, and partnering with, many of the best gaming and tech companies in the world. But our longest, and closest partner during my career, has been Microsoft.
Like our original partnership, this one is about more than one system or one screen. We share a deep belief in the fundamental power of games, in their ability to connect, empower, and bring joy. And a belief we should bring that to everyone - regardless of who you are, where you live, or what you play on. Regardless of the screen size, the controller, or your ability to even use one.

hmmmmmmm

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Good news for PlayStation / Nintendo console players, if Bethesda are self publishing they can choose whatever platforms they want.

Still a great purchase for Microsoft even without the exclusivity. They're a profitable business, and it's more games on Game Pass.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
This is very wishful thinking on your part. Once the games already announced for other platforms are done ( which MS is good about honoring), they have zero obligation to put them out on other platforms. Time will tell.
I agree. If they just wanted Bethesda games on GP (which they already are so it would just be for day 1) they would have paid a lot less money. Once Deathloop etc are out I wouldn't expect them to be on other systems unless it makes sense (Minecraft is insanely popular, Switch works for certain games)

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Everything with an announced platform will probably still going to said platforms but I'd imagine everything else is now Xbox exclusive.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Games already announced for Playstation will still release on Playstation. Anything else, nobody outside of Microsoft knows.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
For now, sure. Contracts exist, duh.
But yeah, "pay on that other console or get it for free, Day 1 with Xbox Game Pass" will be a thing.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I presume this is referring to Deathloop and Ghostwire? Ie, games that are already announced to be coming elsewhere via Bethesda?

Similar to how Wasteland 3 still came to everything and is technically not an Xbox Game Studios game despite XGS buying the devs halfway through development.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
New Vegas Remake as an Xbox/PC exclusive would be nice.

Wonder how Obsidian feels about this.

Thought about it and wouldn't it be good?

No pressure to be Bethesda 2.0 and they can do their own thing and even get help or help each other.

I doubt these studios hate each other because they make similar games unless I am missing some stuff.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. If they just wanted Bethesda games on GP (which they already are so it would just be for day 1) they would have paid a lot less money. Once Deathloop etc are out I wouldn't expect them to be on other systems unless it makes sense (Minecraft is insanely popular, Switch works for certain games)
Yep.