• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/14/us/politics/beto-2020.html

Beto O'Rourke, the 46-year-old former Texas congressman whose near-miss Senate run last year propelled him to Democratic stardom, joined the presidential race on Thursday, betting that voters will prize his message of national unity and generational change in a 2020 primary teeming with committed progressives.

I strangely can't find a thread on this (though the article released just a few minutes ago), but I feel there's no way I'm first. So lock if old.

Last edited:

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Beto is the Texas version of Doug Jones. just what this party needs

e: I'll eat Chow if he supports single player but I'm not holding my breath

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
I welcome the young bloods that can push the 70-year vampires away from the limelight.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
"Yea, but he lost a Senate race to Ted Cruz." says the publications who think the Dems are always in Disarray.

I'm interested in seeing if the Beto Fever from 2018 can continue with how many people are on the playing field now.

Oct 25, 2017
Not my top pick whatsoever even though I gladly voted him in the Senate race. Pretty happy about this though because it probably lowers Biden's chances a bit.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good, he sounded like a great option for Texas and too bad he lost. But the fact he lost by such a relatively small margin in an overwhelming red state made me think he has massive potential nation-wide. I still prefer Bernie, and I hope he wins the nomination, but I don't think the US would be a terrible place with Bernie as president and Beto as VP.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
are we sure this isn't the teaser trailer for the countdown to the announcement date of the Beto campaign

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know nothing about his policies, gonna have to research. I'm probably jaded because I'm old now and Trump happened but the announcement video didn't do anything for me. Hard to take the Obama hope and change attitude seriously when our country is such a cluster fuck.

Mayor Pete still my guy.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Armed with nothing but a failed run at the Senate and the fact Beyonce once did an Instagram post about said failed campaign makes him the perfect candidate to try and topple Trump!

I'm still not seeing a clear Democratic contender who can truly beat Trump and his staunch, unwashed support base in the current line up.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Armed with nothing but a failed run at the Senate and the fact Beyonce once did an Instagram post about said failed campaign makes him the perfect candidate to try and topple Trump!

I'm still not seeing a clear Democratic contender who can truly beat Trump and his staunch, unwashed support base in the current line up.
To be fair he served 3 terms in congress. Obama only had two years in the senate under his belt when he announced in 2007. So he has 3x the experience Obama did.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I welcome the young bloods that can push the 70-year vampires away from the limelight.
Like age should matter more than policy and actions. Beto is a great hypeman and campaigner but the dude fucking sucks shit. Refusing to endorse gina ortiz because he was buddy buddy with a trump loving shithead.

Hope he doesnt get near the nom. At least warren, bernie and even harris actually understand that politics is more than sounding friendly.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Ok I dont like beto but this is silly. The dude got massive coverage and support for a doomed red state race that had no reason to be that close or that popular.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
To be fair he served 3 terms in congress. Obama only had two years in the senate under his belt when he announced in 2007. So he has 3x the experience Obama did.

True but the last thing the public knew him for, and arguably what brought him to real attention on the national stage, was losing a Senate race during what was supposed to be the great blue wave against Trump.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
True but the last thing the public knew him for, and arguably what brought him to real attention on the national stage, was losing a Senate race during what was supposed to be the great blue wave against Trump.
Imagine buying a conservative narrative about the election. Even near the end he was a longshot. I think his higheat probability was 19%.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017

Beto is almost as popular as Ted Cruz in Texas
Ted Cruz is more popular than Donald Trump in Texas and other red states.
Beto can be more popular than Trump to these states.

Yeah, not really. The Senate means quite a bit more than the House. And Obama actually was able to pass a few bills while he was there.
Expierence is expierence. Even if the senate is more imporarnt, Beto has more expierence with the federal government than any president going back to HW Bush. Clinton and Bush 43 were governors. Obama was a 2 term senator. Trump has none.

A President with roots in Washington politics for 3 terms is not a bad thing. One could argue had Obama had the expierence Beto has that his relationship with congress could have been much different. Racism and rejection would still have stunted him, but it's impossible to say how much more effective he'd have been with the more moderate republicans or getting his message through.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Ok I dont like beto but this is silly. The dude got massive coverage and support for a doomed red state race that had no reason to be that close or that popular.

Fair enough, but where's the logic in potentially sticking that same candidate into potentially the same situation but on a national stage? I'm not sure about the "He nearly won here so that means he should win nationally" logic, it just doesn't cut it for me.

I'm not even American and I'm chomping at the bit to get rid of Trump. I just don't see the logic in Beto suddenly becoming a major force to topple him.

I have been wrong before so I suppose we'll see soon enough.

Imagine buying a conservative narrative about the election. Even near the end he was a longshot. I think his higheat probability was 19%.

Good grief. This page isn't even a page long and you're already coming apart at the seams.

I'm on your side. Settle down.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
He should be a great fit on a national stage, compared to running just for Texas.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
There were dozens and dozens of races in Texas Democrats won that they would not have won without the increased turnout Beto pulled in too.
That as well. "He lost a senate race" is insanely reductive and misses out on why they even know his name in the first place.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell I wish they were 70. That would be a lot younger! Bernie will be 79 and Biden 78 on Election Day.

By the end of their second terms Bernie would be 87 and Biden 86 (assuming they don't you know, die, which is actually more likely given their ages lol).

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I just feel like Beto on the ticket as the VP for any of Biden, Warren, or Bernie would 100% beat Trump. Less convinced about him as the lead guy. Especially with his whole "let's solve this thing with love and coming together" shit he'll apparently be preaching.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yet his nomination was able to land seats in their judiciary and some house seats too due to turnout. Turnout is exactly what the Dems need, especially in battleground states.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
There were dozens and dozens of races in Texas Democrats won that they would not have won without the increased turnout Beto pulled in too.
Yup. Beto's near-win will hopefully be seen as the beginning of a movement.

I'm hopeful Beto can translate some of that enthusiasm to a presidential race. His rallies and town halls in 2018 were intoxicating.

Harris-O'Rourke (or flipped) would be a great ticket. Either would be fine as Biden's VP as well.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm open to hearing what he has to say, but he better have strong policy proposals and not just run on his force of personality, because there's some strong policy candidates this time around and people want substance.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Beto's near-win will hopefully be seen as the beginning of a movement.

I'm hopeful Beto can translate some of that enthusiasm to a presidential race. His rallies and town halls in 2018 were intoxicating.

Harris-O'Rourke (or flipped) would be a great ticket. Either would be fine as Biden's VP as well.
I think Harris would be without a doubt Biden's VP if he won. We won't see a two white man ticket.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I'm for it. Dude's political capital is high, why not give it a shot. If it doesn't hold up on the primaries so be it but let's at least see what he's got.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's his policy platform? Everything I hear about this dude is related to his """electability"""" and perceived charisma (which is mostly projection tbh) but I don't really hear anything substantive. Needless to say this guy isn't my pick but in fairness I'll keep an open mind.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm open to hearing what he has to say, but he better have strong policy proposals and not just run on his force of personality, because there's some strong policy candidates this time around and people want substance.
They really dont lol. Not even liberals. Sorry to burst the era bubble but its true. Say some vague platitudes and wide encompassing proposals and youre fine.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really dont lol. Not even liberals. Sorry to burst the era bubble but its true. Say some vague platitudes and wide encompassing proposals and youre fine.
Normally I would agree with you but I don't know about this time around in a primary this crowded with arguably bigger household names than his in the race.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
You ain't the boss of me.
giphy.gif

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
May they all make each other stronger candidates

Status