• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I liked him for Texas senate and would have preferred if he stayed in Texas politics to help establish a better dem base here. Not too confident about him running for president, but we'll see.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
You're right. Politics isn't about improving people's lives. It's about winning. Doesn't matter who you are or what you become. You must win.

If you don't offer people a reason to vote for you, then they won't. And "Have you seen the other guy" didn't work in 2016...
1) you have to win first to write the laws, ask democrats of the last 20 years how wanting to improve peoples lives has worked out for them?
2) beto has more than enough policy ideas that are just fine with me like his support of Medicare4all, criminal justice reform, just to name a few
do or should every other candidate support those? Sure, but almost none of them are are charismatic and able to energize voters like Beto does.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Im a fan of Beto. Literally anyone would be better than a republican president though, so yeah 😂

I fully believe that we are on the cusp of the propaganda machine spinning up again and trying to divide us like 2016. We have to stand united even if we have issues with our nominee because the alternative is much worse.

I'm side-eying a lot of these comments:

Poser. Ohio is firmly red now for POTUS, so I won't feel too bad about not voting for him, should he get the nomination.

Like this. Is this real life, are these real opinions by real people? How can you look at everything around us and come to this conclusion in good faith?

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could not be more excited. Other than Obama, I've never been more impressed with a particular candidate in my 20 years of voting.

Why?

I don't need a signature policy issue yet. I don't want lip service and unlikely to be fulfilled promises. I want a dreamer that sees the world through particular lens and will make decisions based on that vision. Policy decisions often times have to be made with compromise and nuance based on the moment.

Beto is inspirational on a large scale level.

Bernie is inspirational strictly to his base.

Biden brings zero excitement.

No one else likely stands a chance, but I do like Kamala. I think she'd be perfect on a ticket with Beto.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
What does he bring to the table? What do people like about him other than being a snacc?

Trump had a reason to run and gross as it is, he has an ideology and something to offer (build the wall, etc.) Bego is an empty vessel. What does he even believe in?

Oh, I found one thing he believes in...

unknown.png
Its Texas. Its individual contributions.
My donation counts as being from the energy sector because of my career. Oops. Guess I cant donate to anyone.🤷‍♂️

jml

Mar 9, 2018
1) you have to win first to write the laws
2) beto has more than enough policy ideas that are just fine with me like his support of Medicare4all, criminal justice reform, just to name a few
do or should every other candidate support those? Sure, but almost none of them are are charismatic and able to energize voters like Beto does.
Any democratic candidate who makes it out of the primary has a very good chance to win the presidency if you look at how the most important swing states went in the 2018 midterms. I don't think you should vote for someone in the primary just because you think they're the safest bet in the general election (which fwiw was supposed to be Hillary in 2016), vote for what you believe in. If that's Beto then cool.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know that much about Beto but I'm very open to hearing more from him. If his presidential hopes don't pan out then he'd probably work very well as a VP

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know much about Beto, now that he's running I have to research. I'll say one thing, for a guy who doesn't have a chance he sure is pissing off the GOP and supporters of other Dem hopefuls.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I could not be more excited. Other than Obama, I've never been more impressed with a particular candidate in my 20 years of voting.

Why?

I don't need a signature policy issue yet. I don't want lip service and unlikely to be fulfilled promises. I want a dreamer that sees the world through particular lens and will make decisions based on that vision. Policy decisions often times have to be made with compromise and nuance based on the moment.

Beto is inspirational on a large scale level.

Bernie is inspirational strictly to his base.

Biden brings zero excitement.

No one else likely stands a chance, but I do like Kamala. I think she'd be perfect on a ticket with Beto.

is this satire

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does he bring to the table? What do people like about him other than being a snacc?

Trump had a reason to run and gross as it is, he has an ideology and something to offer (build the wall, etc.) Bego is an empty vessel. What does he even believe in?

Oh, I found one thing he believes in...

unknown.png
This is not accurate. He took no corporate or PAC money. This is small-dollar donations from individuals (oil & gas being the largest industry in the state).

Jan 15, 2019
Any democratic candidate who makes it out of the primary has a very good chance to win the presidency if you look at how the most important swing states went in the 2018 midterms. I don't think you should vote for someone in the primary just because you think they're the safest bet in the general election (which fwiw was supposed to be Hillary in 2016), vote for what you believe in. If that's Beto then cool.
Agreed. Democrats shouldn't vote for who they think will be appealing to other people and instead focus on who's appealing to them personally. If everyone does that, you naturally end up with a candidate who's appealing. And like you said, if that's Beto then cool.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (24 hours): Antagonizing and discrediting a fellow user with conspiracy theories.
A survey from the Public Policy Polling (PPP) released Friday shows O'Rourke polling just 2 points behind incumbent Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) in a hypothetical matchup, 47 to 45 percent, with 8 percent of registered voters undecided.​
t6pd393d70m21.jpg

You know, if you want to just spam the thread with anti-Beto propoganda I'm going to have to ask you to disclose who your Russian handler is and what your Bot username is on Twitter.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going by the reaction on Era you'd think he's the younger clone of Bernie Sanders with the scorn i'm seeing here.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Beto can run a modern, exciting campaign that is missing from the field right now. Everyone else is running a pretty standard operation, even a more polished one by Bernie. The Vanity Fair piece is pretty good he supports:

-Stepped plan to M4A
-Green New Deal
-Taxing the 1%

Also he is one of the candidates not hostile to the most leftward flank and and has always been a proponent of CJ reform.

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This whole twitter quote is just proof to me that Democrat political pundits have no actual understanding of the reality that most people live in. Look at what the GOP nominated and elected to run this country. The idea that you need all of those things to "have a reason" to run is complete bullshit and founded on absolutely nothing.
What the GOP nominated and elected was a candidate with that gave a group of people reason to vote for him, a very racist reason sure but it was an incentive for a segment of the population to get out of their seats and vote.
People, especially working and poor people are not going to go through the effort of leaving their houses and vote because they like the guy, they'll make an effort to go out and vote if they think the person they're voting for can provide change and better their situation.
I supported Beto in the last election but let's be honest, the only reason we had for voting for him then is that he is not Ted Cruz and the only reason to vote for him now is that he is not Donald Trump.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dems need to cool it with candidates, they need to rally and not step on each other's shoes.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
You know, if you want to just spam the thread with anti-Beto propoganda I'm going to have to ask you to disclose who your Russian handler is and what your Bot username is on Twitter.

You're joking, right?

Beto doesn't have any strong policies, and he takes money from corporations.

Go ahead, with sources, show me why Beto is your candidate instead of Bernie.

I thought you guys were better than this.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
What the GOP nominated and elected was a candidate with that gave a group of people reason to vote for him, a very racist reason sure but it was an incentive for a segment of the population to get out of their seats and vote.
People, especially working and poor people are not going to go through the effort of leaving their houses and vote because they like the guy, they'll make an effort to go out and vote if they think the person they're voting for can provide change and better their situation.
I supported Beto in the last election but let's be honest, the only reason we had for voting for him then is that he is not Ted Cruz and the only reason to vote for him now is that he is not Donald Trump.

If anyones thinks thats not a good enough reason to vote for him, then fuck them, honestly. Also, my post was in response to an twitter quote and article that says BETO needs to "have a reason" to run.

At this point, 'not Trump' is a reason and a reason many people will vote for someone.

Oct 26, 2017
I truly don't think the latter part is true. And Beto gets butts up out of seats. Texas voter turnout increased 18% in the 2018 midterm. And as we learned from Trump/Hilary, people do NOT get off their asses to vote against someone. Not Trump, not Cruz. People get out because someone lights a fire in them. Trump lit a racist/sexist fire. Beto lit a fire in Texas too.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017

Let's be honest, "let's be honest, the only reason we had for voting for him then is that he is not Ted Cruz " is not consistent with what actually happened and said in bad faith to dismiss Beto as a legitimate candidate. I actually didn't care if he won or lost his race against Ted Cruz. In fact, a lot of people on the ground had doubts that he was going to pull off the win anyway. But they showed up to the polls because they liked Beto, his personality, his positions, and what he had to say. Beto was (and is) just a breath of fresh air.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
The one problem I see with Beto is that if there is ever a Republican majority in the Senate or House, they'll walk all over him just like they did with Obama.

Oct 26, 2017
The one problem I see with Beto is that if there is ever a Republican majority in the Senate or House, they'll walk all over him just like they did with Obama.
Sadly, this is the reality with any President that isn't GOP.

Let's be honest, "let's be honest, the only reason we had for voting for him then is that he is not Ted Cruz " is not consistent with what actually happened and said in bad faith to dismiss Beto as a legitimate candidate. I actually didn't care if he won or lost his race against Ted Cruz. In fact, a lot of people on the ground had doubts that he was going to pull off the win anyway. But they showed up to the polls because they liked Beto, his personality, his positions, and what he had to say. Beto was (and is) just a breath of fresh air.
Truth.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How often does a failed candidate team up with the primary elect? People mention combining these dem nominees constantly.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
A survey from the Public Policy Polling (PPP) released Friday shows O'Rourke polling just 2 points behind incumbent Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) in a hypothetical matchup, 47 to 45 percent, with 8 percent of registered voters undecided.​
t6pd393d70m21.jpg
Cornyn is way more popular than Cruz, and it's not a midterm. Ain't nobody winning against him. A better argument would be that he would continue to help down ballot, but he'd probably do that running for president too.

And lol "bound to loose". You're always bound to loose until you ain't. Unless you're running for a safe seat without a primary, that's true of any race.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
I'd really like to see a Beto/Harris ticket, in either configuration really.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
All Beto needs to do is repair all the damage Trump caused. That's literally all he needs to do his first 4 years.

His campaign slogan should be "Let's Fix This Shit!"

That's all I need to hear from him. We need to get back to the middle first. We've swung all the way over to the right. 1 step at a time.

First Four Years of Beto - Revert GoP Tax cuts on the rich and corporate sectors, terminate all of Trump's horrible Executive Orders, stack courts with more left-leaning judges, get back into more green-based environmental initiatives, renew commitment to NATO, tell Putin to fuck off and drop a shit-load of new sanctions on his ass, terminate all talks with Kim Jong Un, work on severing ties with Saudi Arabia, repair economic relationships with Canada, Mexico and China, renew commitment to reinforcing Social Security and Medicare, and DRAIN THE FUCKING TRUMP SWAMP.

That's all I need to hear. Get us back closer to where we were in 2015 FIRST and THEN we can start talking about getting more progressive.

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If anyones thinks thats not a good enough reason to vote for him, then fuck them, .
I mean you know that if peole do not vote we lose right?
I truly don't think the latter part is true. And Beto gets butts up out of seats. Texas voter turnout increased 18% in the 2018 midterm. And as we learned from Trump/Hilary, people do NOT get off their asses to vote against someone. Not Trump, not Cruz. People get out because someone lights a fire in them. Trump lit a racist/sexist fire. Beto lit a fire in Texas too.
Wait you think that the reason voter turnout increased was Beto? do you have any proof of this? Because from where I'm sitting there was a mayor movement on the left that increased democratic voter turnout everywhere including Texas and it feels more like Beto benefited from this movement rather than him being the one creating it oh and he still lost to one of the most unpopular Senators out there.

Look if he wins the nomination he has my full support because seriously fuck Trump I just don't see that happening.
Oh and he sucks at debates.

JohnOfMars

Fighting Lion
Oct 25, 2017
Mars

What positions? Like, I only see people in here talking about charisma.

When people do talk about positions, like Medicare for All, or criminal justice, there are people already in the field who offer much more. Bernie has Medicare for All. Booker has Criminal Justice Reform. Warren has Wall Street scared.

His history on these policies is to the right of almost all the Democrats.

For instance, O'Rourke backs comprehensive energy reform and renewable incentives, but not a strict roadmap to net-zero greenhouse gas emissions, like the one contained in the so-called Green New Deal proposal.​
He also aims to offer universal health coverage to all Americans, but, he says, he's not exclusively wedded to a single-payer, "Medicare-for-all" system favored by most Democrats on the left.​
O'Rourke also backed increased funding for Pell Grants and student loans, but he has yet to explicitly endorse the type of tuition-free college model that his fellow 2020 hopeful, Julian Castro, called for in January.​

This is how a Republican talks:
"I'm a capitalist. I don't see how we're able to meet any of the fundamental challenges that we have as a country without, in part, harnessing the power of the market," O'Rourke told reporters recently in El Paso.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Dude would've been much more useful as a VP, which might be the point of this whole thing.

I couldn't see Beto lasting on a debate stage with Trump at this point.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

If Beto wins the nomination this will be played 24/7 on every channel until the election:

Bruh, why would you say that you're going to run after you lost a hard fought battle, just then and there, even so why does it matter.

He might have changed his mind too and thought that he has a service to fulfill for his country by running for president, if he believes that he's the man for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.