• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I'm not as optimistic as JohnOfMars but fetishization of polls is how we got blindsided in 2016.

No-one could have seen what was coming in '16, and it had nothing to do with fetishising polling.

I'm not throwing it out entirely but the poll is not some almighty predictor of the future, and indeed, polling numbers can be changed with committed action.

It's a snapshot of the present, to adjust to a better outcome in the future.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No-one could have seen what was coming in '16, and it had nothing to do with fetishising polling.
https://www.salon.com/2016/10/26/mi...-donald-trump-as-a-giant-fk-you-and-hell-win/
"I know a lot of people in Michigan that are planning to vote for Trump, and they don't necessarily agree with him," the left-leaning documentarian said.

"Donald Trump came to the Detroit Economic Club and stood there in front of Ford Motor executives and said, 'If you close these factories as you're planning to do in Detroit and build them in Mexico, I'm going to put a 35 percent tariff on those cars when you send them back and nobody's going to buy them.' It was an amazing thing to see. No politician, Republican or Democrat, had ever said anything like that to these executives, and it was music to the ears of people in Michigan and Ohio and Pennsylvania and Wisconsin — the 'Brexit states.'"

"Trump's election is going to be the biggest 'fuck you' ever recorded in human history — and it will feel good," Moore argued.

"Whether Trump means it or not is kind of irrelevant because he's saying the things to people who are hurting, and that's why every beaten-down, nameless, forgotten working stiff who used to be part of what was called the middle class loves Trump," Moore continued. "He is the human Molotov cocktail that they've been waiting for, the human hand grenade that they can legally throw into the system that stole their lives from them."

https://michaelmoore.com/trumpwillwin/
You need to exit that bubble right now. You need to stop living in denial and face the truth which you know deep down is very, very real. Trying to soothe yourself with the facts – "77% of the electorate are women, people of color, young adults under 35 and Trump cant win a majority of any of them!" – or logic – "people aren't going to vote for a buffoon or against their own best interests!" – is your brain's way of trying to protect you from trauma. Like when you hear a loud noise on the street and you think, "oh, a tire just blew out," or, "wow, who's playing with firecrackers?" because you don't want to think you just heard someone being shot with a gun. It's the same reason why all the initial news and eyewitness reports on 9/11 said "a small plane accidentally flew into the World Trade Center." We want to – we need to – hope for the best because, frankly, life is already a shit show and it's hard enough struggling to get by from paycheck to paycheck. We can't handle much more bad news. So our mental state goes to default when something scary is actually, truly happening. The first people plowed down by the truck in Nice spent their final moments on earth waving at the driver whom they thought had simply lost control of his truck, trying to tell him that he jumped the curb: "Watch out!," they shouted. "There are people on the sidewalk!"

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Somehow the Russians, Wikileaks and the FBI fell outside his vision of Trump winning. Which made all that possible.
Externalities, his core reasoning isn't wrong, and we see it reflected today.

Trump voters don't care enough that he flaked out on his promises. Some of them do, and these are the Trumpgretters. But the people who gladly vote for him even as he kills their industries are doing so as a giant fuck you to everyone else in this country. If you have better insight into understanding the mentality of a Trump supporter, feel free to share it.

You can continue to, as he said, bury your head in the sand and pretend Trump only won cause of "Russia" and "the FBI", and not because something dark and massive has awakened in America.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Externalities, his core reasoning isn't wrong, and we see it reflected today.

But they wouldn't have been to save themselves with his advice. Yeah Trump might win but unless you have specifics about stopping his advantages it's useless commentary. The he acts like he's Nostradamus with Trump winning.

Trump voters don't care enough that he flaked out on his promises. Some of them do, and these are the Trumpgretters. But the people who gladly vote for him even as he kills their industries are doing so as a giant fuck you to everyone else in this country. If you have better insight into understanding the mentality of a Trump supporter, feel free to share it.

I'm not disagreeing, but it's not his base which is the biggest problem - they're unreachable. It's the moderates and swing voters who played a bigger role.

You can continue to, as he said, bury your head in the sand and pretend Trump only won cause of "Russia" and "the FBI", and not because something dark and massive has awakened in America.

Russia and the FBI worked by inciting that dark underbelly in the US. They tipped him over the edge when he needed it. You need to get everything (which includes Russia and the FBI), to fix this - not just the dark core.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But they wouldn't have been to save themselves with his advice. Yeah Trump might win but unless you have specifics about stopping his advantages it's useless commentary. The he acts like he's Nostradamus with Trump winning.
Lol, you're the one peddling nonsense like "No-one could have seen what was coming in '16". Some people figured it out, mainstream liberals just plugged their ears and went "lalalala", including me, because I trusted in those liberals to know what they were doing, since they always act like it.

And you missed, I think, the key point. Trump works off of working class resentment and saying them anti-establishment stuff. There's also a two century old social/ideological movement that works off of class resentment and anti-establishment rhetoric, you might've heard of it, it's called Marxism.

Of the current crowd, guess who's the best at tapping into working class resentment. Go on. I'll even give you a hint, his name starts with B.

Russia and the FBI worked by inciting that dark underbelly in the US. They tipped him over the edge when he needed it. You need to get everything (which includes Russia and the FBI), to fix this - not just the dark core.
Have you figured out how the 2020 Democratic candidate for presidency is going to do this? Because let me just say that, with only the House, every candidate is equally helpless in front of Russia and FBI gaffes. So it's a non-factor as far as the primary is concerned.

However, however, there was a time in 2016 when we did have the presidency and we could've done something. Obama even tried, but he dropped the ball: https://www.npr.org/2018/02/21/5876...a-stop-russia-s-election-interference-in-2016

And here's centrist hero Joe Biden coming in with his pragmatic bipartisanship.
Former Vice President Joe Biden also has complained that the White House wanted Republicans to join in a bipartisan statement announcing and condemning the interference campaign. In Biden's telling, however, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., wouldn't go along.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Lol, you're the one peddling nonsense like "No-one could have seen what was coming in '16". Some people figured it out, mainstream liberals just plugged their ears and went "lalalala", including me, because I trusted in those liberals to know what they were doing, since they always act like it.

They do know what they're doing, Moore and people liked him saw an possible avenue for Trump winning but had neither the capability to convince the right people, and were oblivious to details about how it would happen. The GOP do win and are not to to be underestimated (which the left continues to do to Trump), but you expect the Dems not to fail? Ever?

And you missed, I think, the key point. Trump works off of working class resentment and telling them anti-establishment stuff. There's also a two century old social/ideological movement that works off of class resentment, you might've heard of it, it's called Marxism.

You're not saying anything I didn't already know. Ideology is also besides the point as we were discussing strategy, why would left popularism defeat Trump where centrism couldn't? And how does that tie into Bernie's strategies?

Of the current crowd, guess who's the best at tapping into working class resentment. Go on. I'll even give you a hint, his name starts with B.

This ignores how popularism on the left isn't as strong as populism on the right.

Have you figured out how the 2020 Democratic candidate for presidency is going to do this? Because let me just say that, with only the House, every candidate is equally helpless in front of Russia and FBI gaffes. So it's a non-factor as far as the primary is concerned.

The nominee will contend with those forces head-on, and how they react will have consequences, they're not completely helpless.

Russia interfered with the primaries as we speak.

However, however, there was a time in 2016 when we did have the presidency and we could've done something. Obama even tried, but he dropped the ball: https://www.npr.org/2018/02/21/5876...a-stop-russia-s-election-interference-in-2016

This is not a simple situation to clear up. One of the risks of openly condemning Russia was that the GOP and Trump would use as a cudgel against the administration and Hillary to energise their base and support. There are no guarantees doing that wouldn't have ended up with President Trump.

And here's centrist hero Joe Biden coming in with his pragmatic bipartisanship.

You say that like I care about supporting Joe Biden. A complaint I had with Obama was that he was too compromising.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They do know what they're doing, Moore and people liked him saw an possible avenue for Trump winning but had neither the capability to convince the right people, and were oblivious to details about how it would happen. The GOP do win and are not to to be underestimated (which the left continues to do to Trump), but you expect the Dems not to fail? Ever?
Once again you're blaming everyone else BUT the liberal establishment that failed. Moore failed to alert the liberal machine in time. The left failed to infiltrate the liberal machine in time. The problem is not that the liberal machine is made of myopic idiots, but because everyone else didn't do a good enough job of teaching it whats what. Apparently the liberal machine has no agency of its own, and thus can't be blamed for its failures.

And I'm not expecting them to not fail, I'm expecting them to understand what threatens them and take measures appropriately, which they obviously didn't do in 2016.

campaign.gif

You're not saying anything I didn't already know. Ideology is also besides the point as we were discussing strategy, why would left popularism defeat Trump where centrism couldn't? And how does that tie into Bernie's strategies?
Because it attacks at the same angle as right-wing populism but with less racism. This is what you said.
Yeah Trump might win but unless you have specifics about stopping his advantages it's useless commentary.
Have you considered that, if his advantage is populism, you can erode his populism with your own populism?

This ignores how popularism on the left isn't as strong as populism on the right.
And the solution to that is to strengthen it, not to say "oh well it's not strong enough good luck next time".

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
https://news.yahoo.com/psychedelic-warlord-teenaged-betos-misogynistic-online-posts-013651735.html?
Archived versions of writings attributed to O'Rourke's alias "Psychedelic Warlord" include one that criticized some women as "sluts," mocked them for having "violent boyfriends," and suggested a way to deal with these women was to call them "completely ugly," or inform "Nazi Skins in your area" that they had "AIDS."
O'Rourke later said he regretted the writings during an interview with a podcast in Iowa.

"I'm mortified to read it now, incredibly embarrassed. But I have to take ownership of my words. … I have to look long and hard at my actions … and I have to constantly try to do better," O'Rourke said, according to the Texas Tribune's Patrick Svitek.

The various pieces of text attributed to O'Rourke's alias were all dated between 1987 and 1989, a period when he was under 18.
http://cd.textfiles.com/cuteskunk/unsorted-zines/cdc/cDc-0121.txt
Code:
                                    _
                                   | \
                                   |  \
                                   | | \
                            __     | |\ \             __
      _____________       _/_/     | | \ \          _/_/     _____________
     |  ___________     _/_/       | |  \ \       _/_/       ___________  |
     | |              _/_/_____    | |   > >    _/_/_____               | |
     | |             /________/    | |  / /    /________/               | |
     | |                           | | / /                              | |
     | |                           | |/ /                               | |
     | |                           | | /                                | |
     | |                           |  /                                 | |
     | |                           |_/                                  | |
     | |                                                                | |
     | |      c   o   m   m   u   n   i   c   a   t   i   o   n   s     | |
     | |________________________________________________________________| |
     |____________________________________________________________________|

...presents...                 Ultra Trendies
                                                         by Psychedelic Warlord

>>> a cDc publication.......1989 <<<
                        -cDc- CULT OF THE DEAD COW -cDc-

Trendy Death: The Next Generation..

I've discovered something sickening and vile.  I've discovered a new
creature: THE ULTRA TRENDY.

I'm sure you remember the old trendies: "Yeah... I'm socially conscious...
I listen to U2 and INXS.  Yeah... that's me...."  You remember their shallow
lives, their social ladders, and the hollowness.  Well friends, that was just
the beginning.  The new trendy, the ULTRA TRENDY, has invaded the ranks of the
TRUE alternative scene, and it's a cancer that might cause the death of each
and every scene across the nation.

These new trendies can actually be found at the shows that you attend
every so often.  In fact, at your average punk/alternative show, the MAJORITY
will be ultra trendies.

Although an in-depth essay on these infiltrating trendies would
probably be more beneficial and help you, I will, as I did in my last trendy
file, just give you pointers in spotting them, and maybe some help in killing
them.  I know you don't wanna sit through 20, 10-line paragraphs describing
this vile species.

^^^^^___^^^^^___^^^^^___^^^^^___^^^^^___^^^^^___^^^^^___^^^^^___^^^^^___^^^^^

xXx  ULTRA TRENDIES know nothing about the alternative scene they profess to
care about so much.  One can often hear them state something along the lines
of, "Yeah, I went drinking with Minor Threat last night.  Their lead singer has
the COOLEST mohawk."

xXx  ULTRA TRENDIES over play the "punk" lifestyle.  They can recite everything
Gary Oldman said in "Sid and Nancy".

xXx  ULTRA TRENDIES are usually the 'scene sluts' that many of the menfolk
admire so.  They show up, get drunk with the band, and tell the lead singer, "I
really like your music.  I think it's a lot like the Sex Pistols.  Sooo... you
wanna fuck?"

xXx  The only band these ULTRA TRENDIES have ever listened to, has been the Sex
Pistols.  Sid Vicious is a fucking GOD to these people.

xXx  ULTRA TRENDIES drive up to the shows in their mom's new sports car, and
brag that they got "kicked out of the house."  They then go on to add, "My mom
is SUCH a bitch.  I'm gonna fucking kill her."

xXx  ULTRA TRENDY females hook-up with violent boyfriends because, (yeah... you
guessed it) "He's so much like Sid Vicious!"

xXx  If an ULTRA TRENDY is not dating a violent member of some "1977, Sex
Pistols stuff kinda band..." then she is thrown out of the ULTRA TRENDY caste
system, and must then go fake her way into the glam-rock circuit.

xXx  According to ULTRA TRENDIES, you must "skate or die," and if, "you don't
skate, you're not punk!"

xXx  ULTRA TRENDY male: big black X's on his hands and he is snorting coke like
Sid Vicious did.

xXx  ULTRA TRENDY: "Well... the reason I don't go in the pit, is... well...
see, I uh... broke my leg... yeah, I broke my leg... and I'm not wearing a cast
because... uh... because... because I'm tough!  Yeah... I'm tough... I don't
need a cast....  By the way, did you get the new Sex Pistols bootleg?"

xXx  Engage a suspected ULTRA TRENDY in conversation, and ask him or her what
they think of Government Issue, and if he/she says, "I think they sound a lot
like the Sex Pistols," you know that you got a live one on your hands.

xXx  You can spot an ULTRA TRENDY by the large 'A' (for ANARCHY, a concept they
know nothing about) on his or her shoes.

xXx  ULTRA TRENDIES hang around in packs.  If you see a bunch of people with
shiny, leather jackets talking about how they'd like to be anti-christs and
anarchists, you've hit a ULTRA TRENDY territory.

xXx  On very rare occasions (due to low mentality and creativity), ULTRA
TRENDIES will put together a band.  It'll usually be called something like 'The
Anarchists', or, if a total lack of creativity comes on, they will name
themselves 'The Sex Pistols.'

Well, now you've got your ULTRA TRENDY identified, so whaddya gonna do?

xXx  Tell the ULTRA TRENDY that Sid Vicious is dead.

xXx  Tell the Nazi Skins in your area that this certain ULTRA TRENDY has AIDS.

xXx  Tell 'em that the new 'punk' thing to do is to play in the middle of the
freeway.

xXx  Tell him/her that the Sex Pistols broke up 10 years ago.

xXx  To kill an ULTRA TRENDY female, show her a picture of what she'd look like
without make-up.

xXx  Tell him or her that they're completely ugly.

xXx  Tell the ULTRA TRENDY that the new trend is to butt-fuck skinheads.

xXx  Tell the ULTRA TRENDY that punk went out of fashion 10 years ago.

xXx  Play Youth Brigade at 50 decibels

*  Be wary of anyone that suddenly appears at shows with SeX pIStOLs t-shirts
on, and screams, "Long live Sid!"

Trendy

I look into the steely blue ocean
I see my reflection.
As I look closer I notice something.
I look almost transparent.
As if I wasn't there.
Like I wasn't an individual anymore.

-Mike Stevens

_   _   _____________________________________________________________________
/((___))\|The Convent..........619/475-6187  The Dead Zone.........214/522-5321
[ x x ] |Demon Roach Undrgrnd.806/794-4362  Greenpeace's IGB......916/673-8412
  \   /  |PURE NIHILISM..........new # soon  Ripco.................312/528-5020
  (' ')  |Tequila Willy's GSC..209/526-3194  The Works.............617/861-8976
   (U)   |=====================================================================
  .ooM   |(c)1989 cDc communications by Psychedelic Warlord.  2/6-09/30/89-#121
\_______/|All Rights Pissed Away.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

"We have some numbers and figures, but i'm trying to make sure those numbers and figures actually are numbers and figures, because i'd hate to rush them out, and besides what are numbers and figures anyway? I'm not big on labels, regardless I have my team looking into it and we just have to make sure that we talk to the right people, make sure there is even a will for their release, after all not one man, or even one party can truly report on what numbers and figures are, we, the American People must get together and through bipartisanship come to agree on the right number. "

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"We have some numbers and figures, but i'm trying to make sure those numbers and figures actually are numbers and figures, because i'd hate to rush them out, and besides what are numbers and figures anyway? I'm not big on labels, regardless I have my team looking into it and we just have to make sure that we talk to the right people, make sure there is even a will for their release, after all not one man, or even one party can truly report on what numbers and figures are, we, the American People must get together and through bipartisanship come to agree on the right number. "
Thanks!

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cannot for the life of me understand why people are so excited to back Beto when he has no policy ideas and has such a poor voting history.
They think/want to believe he's white Obama. Obama conditioned people into thinking what we need to win is a 50ish good looking man who's kind of non-intrusive, personality-wise and policy-wise.
It's why they're holding the DNC in Milwaukee.
Yeah I mean, they're learning now. It just took two years of Trump for them to get their heads out of their collective ass.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also beware that tweet going around about him sending the Texas Democrats his senate campaign money and them sending it back to boost his totals. Max committee donations is 5k per year among other things.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also beware that tweet going around about him sending the Texas Democrats his senate campaign money and them sending it back to boost his totals. Max committee donations is 5k per year among other things.

I'm impressed how scared Beto has everyone. Bots and sleeper cells are going to be working overtime on him, as you can see.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
Biden or bust. Biden appeals to the voters that won Trump the election. And guys like me that couldn't do Hillary, but loved Obama.
Hillary, Obama, and Biden are all very much third way democrats in line with each other. The fact that you could vote Obama but not Hillary is bizarre and shows you have no ideological spine to back your voting. That and suggesting "Biden or bust" unironically just shows how short term and naïve your sense of politics is.
I'm impressed how scared Beto has everyone. Bots and sleeper cells are going to be working overtime on him, as you can see.
Libby is a leftist and I believe Bernie supporter fwiw.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biden or bust. Biden appeals to the voters that won Trump the election. And guys like me that couldn't do Hillary, but loved Obama.

You're saying here that you are voting on candidates for their personal charm and not for policy. Hillary Clinton, Biden, and Obama share 99% of the same policies. Even I was able to vote for Hillary, and I don't share a lot of her politics, but she was far better than the alternative.

It's your vote but policy should be the first criteria for picking a candidate.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Beto found a position on something

I like how "we aren't going to take away your guns" is a refrain that is common to virtually every gun control proposal, but because Twitter weaponizes short memories, short attention spans, and confirmation bias, a more or less reasonable statement from Beto is framed as "look at this dude with no strong positions lol!"

Any process of reducing the amount of guns circulating throughout American society is going to require voluntary action on the part of gun owners. The disarming rhetoric he showcased there just acknowledges that.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
lmao @ this take

So like the Missouri Compromise for guns? Probably not the greatest precedent for a dem candidate to fall back on

he's not even falling back on it - he's leading with it!

My friends, we need to frame the moral debate on guns the way slavery was framed - not by abolitionists, no, but by slave-holder Henry Clay

christ

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
lmao @ this take

So like the Missouri Compromise for guns? Probably not the greatest precedent for a dem candidate to fall back on

he's not even falling back on it - he's leading with it!

My friends, we need to frame the moral debate on guns the way slavery was framed - not by abolitionists, no, but by slave-holder Henry Clay

christ

do these people realistically think the US government is going to be successful in taking away guns from gun owners?

you want Medicare4 all? climate change action now? criminal justice reform? legalizing weed? any other progressive idea ever? Yea take all those and piss it down the drain the second you start talking about taking guns away. They will vote in droves against dems.

Oct 26, 2017
I like how "we aren't going to take away your guns" is a refrain that is common to virtually every gun control proposal, but because Twitter weaponizes short memories, short attention spans, and confirmation bias, a more or less reasonable statement from Beto is framed as "look at this dude with no strong positions lol!"

Any process of reducing the amount of guns circulating throughout American society is going to require voluntary action on the part of gun owners. The disarming rhetoric he showcased there just acknowledges that.
We're operating in a country where not only the NRA and other gun lobbies have created lasting damage to rhetoric surrounding weapon confiscation, but also in one where the Second Amendment has been interpreted by the Supreme Court as not only pertaining to the protection of the individual ownership of firearms in the home ripe for expansion, but also as a fundamental right that can override State law. I don't see how he can advocate for gun confiscation when it will most definitely cause serious controversy and deliver a case to the Supreme Court that will only strengthen constitutional law surrounding firearms given the current make up of the court. The ownership of those 15 million assault rifles needs to be respected in that sense, but I can see him advocating for incentivized programs that allow citizens to willingly give up their firearms, which is really the only practical way to reduce the amount of guns owned in this country until the makeup of SCOTUS changes to a liberal majority.

Status
Not open for further replies.