• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Topics.

• The Force Unleashed.

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • Rebels.

Votes: 95 87.2%

• Total voters

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Rebels.

Plus Rebels has one of if not THE best confrontations in the entire Star Wars series,
Maul Vs Obi-Wan.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Rebels.

Plus Rebels has one of if not THE best confrontations in the series, Maul Vs Obi-Wan.
This is true, rebels does a good job in looking at how the empire affects the civilians and how they go from totally unrelated cells to an organized rebellion that was never a match for the empire in a toe to toe fight. And they continually outsmart the empire in order to win, and the empire is continually shown to be operated by incompetent ifficers and governors that hinder the progress of their leaders such as Vader and Thrawn.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why the hell would anyone vote for the Force Unleashed?
Rebels.

Plus Rebels has one of if not THE best confrontations in the entire Star Wars series,
Maul Vs Obi-Wan.
I... Honestly really don't agree. I thought that confrontation was incredibly disappointing as an end to that story arc and out-of-place in a series that was long past said story arc.

But I do see why other people like it.

Last edited:

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I never finished Rebels but I like how it treated the Rebellion as a literal alliance - a union of disparate micro-insurgencies - and dealt with how those groups slowly, sometimes bitterly came together. For as much as people bitched about the 'politics' of the prequels, Rebels is one of the few times where Star Wars even attempted to expand on the foundations and bureaucracies of its hegemonic factions. I have no idea how the Republic, the Empire, the First Order, or the Resistance actually function in any meaningful sense, but I sort of actually understand how the Rebel Alliance operates.

TFOU doesn't even compare.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I... Honestly really don't agree. I thought that confrontation was incredibly disappointing as an end to that story arc.

Nah, thematically it is aces.

Obi-Wan showing how far he as risen above it all by baiting Maul via Qui-Qon's stance that lead to his death, only to swiftly counter it in a decisive manner. The subtle look of sadness from Obi-Wan as Maul dies, knowing he (like Anakin) was merely a victim of Palpatine and thus forgives him. Mauls final moments are also his most peaceful and free, aware that Luke will avenge all of the countless pointless deaths from the previous decades. Obi-Wan also finally got his revenge, but past the point of mattering.

Is it flashy? No. But it has nuance and a shit ton of emotion. It blends the fighting style of the prequels and originals nicely. I feel like the scene says so much with so little dialogue, though I can see why others might not see it as I do.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on which version of TFU you played. The Wii version, though it had better cinematics overall, didn't have the crest-symbol reveal the 360/PS3 version did.

The premise wasn't bad though, and with Kota being a proto-Kanan type anyways. The gravitas necessary for that story wasn't depicted sufficiently enough, very few were adept at the cinematic action-adventure at the time (Uncharted 1 had just been released months before), and the Jedi Knight games had better storytelling, not to mention the champion KOTOR. The Wii itself (though TFU made pretty good use of the wiimotes) had already seen two of its best games released the year before (Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy), and was starting to receive the first (and last) of the third-party versions of games.

But by now those are days gone. We'll find out by the end of this year if there is still room for excellent Star Wars videogame storytelling, or if we are witnessing a fallen order.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Slightly off topic but has their been any media that focuses on how the Empire became the First Order? From going to Return of the Jedi where the Empire seems essentially destroyed to Force Awakens where First Order is a huge force led by Snoke always confused me.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rebels isn't really about the Rebellion so much as one small group within it. So it's hard to call it an origin story for the Alliance. We don't even get to see the official formation despite a whole episode about getting Mothma to Dantooine.

But Rebels is still the better choice.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slightly off topic but has their been any media that focuses on how the Empire became the First Order? From going to Return of the Jedi where the Empire seems essentially destroyed to Force Awakens where First Order is a huge force led by Snoke always confused me.

Not much, the whole thirty year gap is largely off limits until the ST is over. There are a few things that give us a little info - Shattered Empire, Battlefront II, and the Aftermath trilogy all focus on the last year of the Galactic Civil War with Aftermath: Empire's End showing the moment that Grand Admiral Sloane and Hux's dad went off to the Unknown Regions. The Phasma novel and the TLJ book have a few hints otherwise.

Essentially, what we know is that Palpatine left a command to carry out Operation Cinder in the event of his death to punish the Empire for failing to protect him, and he also left a secret contingency plan for his servant Gallius Rax to head off to the Unknown Regions where he had parked his personal Star Destroyer, the Eclipse. Rax dies trying to blow up Jakku to wipe out the Imperial and New Republic fleets but Sloane and Hux Sr. find out about the plan and leave to find the Eclipse. Somehow they meet Snoke, who takes over the FO after its already been established.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Not much, the whole thirty year gap is largely off limits until the ST is over. There are a few things that give us a little info - Shattered Empire, Battlefront II, and the Aftermath trilogy all focus on the last year of the Galactic Civil War with Aftermath: Empire's End showing the moment that Grand Admiral Sloane and Hux's dad went off to the Unknown Regions. The Phasma novel and the TLJ book have a few hints otherwise.

That's super bizarre. The whole prequel trilogy helps to explain how the Empire is formed and the Sequel trilogy just expects us to be cool with Snoke and First Order suddenly ruling the galaxy again. Wonder if Rise of Skywalker will mention Snoke at all.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's super bizarre. The whole prequel trilogy helps to explain how the Empire is formed and the Sequel trilogy just expects us to be cool with Snoke and First Order suddenly ruling the galaxy again. Wonder if Rise of Skywalker will mention Snoke at all.

I added a little more detail with my edit, but basically Lucasfilm doesn't want to let the book writers contradict anything the filmmakers are doing so they aren't going into detail at the moment in the novels. And JJ just wanted to redo the Big Bad vs. Underdog dynamic and doesn't really care about worldbuilding.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a lot of handwaving in it all. At its peak the Empire is said to have had more than 25,000 Star Destroyers. The Fleet at Endor was such a tiny fraction of the Empire yet suddenly with Palpatines death the Rebellion becomes so powerful it can wipe out the Empire. Even if there was infighting etc. The Empire would hardly have been wiped out in little less than a year. That is one thing the old EU got right. The New Republic and The Empire fought for decades with the empire gradually getting forced into a backwater part of the Galaxy before finally agreeing to peace.

The New Trilogy is written in a way that they dont have to provide any depth to the events after ROTJ. Empire lost. The End. New Trilogy Time. Bad Guys resurfaced. war again.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TFU was fan fiction at it's worst, and the very reason for all you "fans" who cry about Disney nuwars as crap I point to as proof that Lucas and the EU sucked ass.

And it isn't even the worst thing about the now rightfully non-canon Legacy-verse.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Rebels tells us the story of small rebel cells starting to coordinate, band together under their strongest leaders and finally become a strong alliance.

Force Unleashed tells us the story of Force Jesus inspiring everyone and their mother to use his family symbol

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you on those two but you can't deny the old EU had amazing things like the Thrawn Trilogy and the Old Republic games.
The trash both far outweighed the good and completely screwed with continuity and common sense. Not to mention EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE was related.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you on those two but you can't deny the old EU had amazing things like the Thrawn Trilogy and the Old Republic games.
There was a lot of good in the old EU.

There was also the time random background bounty hunter IG-88 downloaded his brain into the Death Star II, assumed total control, and used his newfound power to prank Palpatine with a door.

Sokrates

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The trash both far outweighed the good and completely screwed with continuity and common sense. Not to mention EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE was related.

I agree with you, the new EU is more organized and doesn't bump into each other's continuity and it isn't filled with so much cringe content (Luuke, Trioculus, Force wormholes, Yuuzhan Vong, etc). But it had a very small (10%) percentage of good content like Thrawn and KOTOR.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Off topic, but I really want to see a ven diagram of the people who unironically think Starkiller is a great character and the people who complain that Rey is a "Mary Sue."

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you, the new EU is more organized and doesn't bump into each other's continuity and it isn't filled with so much cringe content (Luuke, Trioculus, Force wormholes, Yuuzhan Vong, etc). But it had a very small (10%) percentage of good content like Thrawn and KOTOR.

There was also the time random background bounty hunter IG-88 downloaded his brain into the Death Star II, assumed total control, and used his newfound power to prank Palpatine with a door.

It also had completely stupid shit like this.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It also had completely stupid shit like this.
Remember the time the Empire built a ship smaller than an X-Wing that could shrug off a direct hit from the Death Star's super laser? And had super duper quantum torpedoes that could blow up stars?

Not coincidentally, that was also written by Kevin J Anderson.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I added a little more detail with my edit, but basically Lucasfilm doesn't want to let the book writers contradict anything the filmmakers are doing so they aren't going into detail at the moment in the novels. And JJ just wanted to redo the Big Bad vs. Underdog dynamic and doesn't really care about worldbuilding.

Kind of sucks that something as big as that will be relegated to side stories. Most of the novels, some of them good, really don't do much to do anything big, they're very much incapable of going before the PT, and heavily limited in between the OT and the ST.

OP
OP
Yukari

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand

In canon, he still does that but gets stop by Empire Astromech droid.

At some point before or during 4 ABY, IG-88 undertook a software infiltration of the Empire's second Death Star. However, his plan was single-handedly thwarted by the Imperial astromech droid R2-Q5.

He single-handedly thwarted IG-88's software infiltration of the Death Star II.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yukari

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
On one hand, that's a hilarious Easter egg.

On the other, of all the possible plot lines to bring in from Legends, why did it have to be that one?

Why not?
We just have han&leia son become the bad guy like Legends and soon with Alien Invasion.

starwars.fandom.com

Grysk

The Grysks were a warlike sentient species that lived in the Unknown Regions. According to Chiss Grand Admiral Thrawn, they should not be underestimated and, if they fled, it would be because they chose to leave the battle. Thrawn believed that the Grysks were such a danger that they posed a...

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
force unleashed wasn't really the origin, more like the origin of the origin. it was good, tho. haven't seen/won't see rebels

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Why not?
We just have han&leia son become the bad guy like Legends and soon with Alien Invasion.

starwars.fandom.com

Grysk

The Grysks were a warlike sentient species that lived in the Unknown Regions. According to Chiss Grand Admiral Thrawn, they should not be underestimated and, if they fled, it would be because they chose to leave the battle. Thrawn believed that the Grysks were such a danger that they posed a...
Because it's really dumb

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Neither is all that good.

The less said about the former EU the better.

Rebels takes Star Wars and goes full kingdom hearts. How anyone can take its "world between worlds" dollar store Nomura ideas seriously is beyond me.

The kindest thing I can say about it, is that most things it does involving Ashoka pay off well. Her and legacy clone wars content carry an emotional heart that at least makes rebels worth watching even if it's all dumb

I mean it's a kids show starring a 14 year old character and their growth within the rebel alliance. At the time Leia Organa is 14 and they go with a random guy because ...

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

There's nothing amazing about the Thrawn Trilogy except that the rest of the novels actually struggled to achieve even that level of mediocrity after it. The Thrawn Trilogy is a bland, forgettable oatmeal of a story and it will never cease to confound me that people liked any of it, certainly to the point that they think that's what the fucking sequel trilogy films should have been. Good god what a terrible idea.

The only good things in it are the name Coruscant and the concepts (since the actual depictions are just as blah as the rest of the books...Rebels Thrawn is the first time the character has been done any justice) of the characters of Thrawn and Mara Jade. None of the movie characters act like themselves (especially Luke), all the clone stuff is laughably stupid (or should I say stuupid? lol), and the whole thing reads like one of Zahn's rejected sci-fi manuscripts with the character names find/replaced by Star Wars character names.

The EU being decanonized was a phenomenally great decision. I'd like to see them recanonize the KOTOR stuff but Rebels actually took the first steps toward doing that already.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Neither are great but Rebels is infinitely better than TFU. Ezra is god awful, but everything about TFU is bad.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pleasantly surprised at the poll results (you might say it's a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one). Rebels is really good.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that for what was actually brought over from the old EU, one of those things was the freaking Jaxxon Rabbit

azibnamq94bicb0c7wio.png