• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which streaming service will fail first?

• Netflix

Votes: 31 2.9%
  • Disney+

Votes: 11 1.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 39 3.6%
  • Peacock

Votes: 719 67.3%
  • Apple TV+

Votes: 204 19.1%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 55 5.1%
  • Oh crap I forgot to include Amazon

Votes: 10 0.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm of the mindset that with the amount of streaming services coming out within the next year like Disney+ and HBO Max, the market is going to reach peak saturation really soon. While this competition will almost definitely lead to more (and hopefully better) content being made, I'm fairly certain almost no one is going to pay for all of them especially long term. As such, winners and losers out of all of this are expected even the existing ones like Netflix and Amazon. So let's go over each of them and see what each one has going for it.

Netflix
Netflix is the default. It's the streaming service everyone has and what every company wants to be. Netflix might be the single most disruptive thing in entertainment this decade and that might actually be an understatement. Not to mention that shows like Stranger Things have enjoyed massive amounts of popularity on par with some of the best cable shows. However while they have the most experience they also have the most to lose. While Disney and Warner Bros have massive content backlogs they can fill up, Netflix is at the mercy of licensing.Whatever non-Netflix original there is guaranteed not be on Netflix forever, a problem will only get worse as more companies start their own services like Disney. And while that would be fine so long as the originals are good, lately they've been taking a "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" approach which means very uneven quality between shows and shorter than expected runs of most of those, even the popular ones.

Amazon
Amazon Prime Video is arguably the second biggest name in streaming and they've produced some popular shows like The Man in High Castle and The Boys just recently. I was tempted to not include them in the poll because Prime Video is basically a perk to being a Prime member which has more benefits than just that. Unless Prime subscriptions somehow take a nosedive Amazon staying in the streaming game is basically all but guaranteed even if they won't be the absolute biggest. But hey anything's possible.

Disney+ (and also Hulu since they're now fully owned by Disney)
This is arguably the biggest investment the company has ever made and their future is essentially riding on this. They literally bought Fox just to have more content for this thing. Disney is trying to do everything they can to make it succeed and with their massive library, low price (for now), Hulu bundle, and really exciting originals like the Mandalorian and MCU tie-ins. I'm not seeing this one failing at least right out of the gate. WIth that being said Disney has made no qualms about Disney+ being family friendly. And while I'm excited to most of their stuff finally made accessible for the first time, there's also not a lot of variety unless you really like family movies or blockbuster spectacles. So while having all the Disney stuff in one place is exciting, it's also kind of shallow and I can see the more older subscribers with no children getting tired of it really quick after the novelty wears off. At least Disney owns Hulu now.

HBO Max
Much like Disney, Warner Bros has a massive back catalog leveraging basically everything they own into this one service. While Disney is the bigger name and most of their stuff hasn't been on streaming before the potential variety of HBO Max is staggering. Shows on BBC, Cartoon Network, and even Crunchyroll and CNN all can be on there and if that's not a massive range of content I don't know what is. If there's any complaints I have it's the original content. I'm not sure if original content is even needed just for Max but what is there just doesn't seem that exciting. It's cool Aaron Mcgruder is returning for the Boondocks but is a Gossip Girl revival and a new Gremlins series even needed? Like will people actually subscribe for these shows? I'm also concerned that since HBO Now is already expensive that Max is going to be even higher. We'll see though.

Peacock
Comcast's streaming service seems to be leveraging their brevy of content (which is a lot because NBC and Universal are huge) along with original series. To me, Peacock just seems like HBO Max but worse. Their back catalog isn't as massive or varied and they're playing it really safe with their originals, which so far have mostly consisted of revivals like Saved by the Bell and Punky Brewster and I don't think they carry enough status to compel people to subscribe just for that. Likewise I also don't think people are going to subscribe just to watch the Office again because people mostly watched it on Netflix because Netflix is the default and this won't ever be but that's just me. The potential is there but it's also one of the least necessary ones so far.

Apple TV+
Apple has no experience producing TV shows and their presence in this game is just baffling. To give them some credit, at least their originals are original and they seemed to attract some big names like Spielberg, Oprah, and even Sesame Street. But so far none of their originals really stand out, some actually look kind of bad like The Morning Show while others look like more expensive TNT shows. This endeavour comes across as the most experimental to me like if this fails, it's not exactly going to tank their brand. At the same time betting against Apple has historically been not a good idea.

I know I'm missing others like CBS and DC Universe (though technically it'll be part of Max) but these seem to be the ones emerging as the potential frontrunners. I'll be interested to see how this all plays out. No matter how you slice it companies are fully on board with streaming so seeing their attempts at breaking in or adapting to a changing market is going to be exciting to say the least.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Are we already assuming DC Universe is dead because I see it being folded into the parent brand before long, RIP comics.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
DC Universe
If/when it dies I'd love if HBO Max incorporated all the comics it offers into the service, would really sweeten the deal for me

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Peacock won't officially "fail," it'll get folded into some other larger NBCUniversal streaming service down the road.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Apple TV+ will fail, they have a few shows that look either bad or boring and nothing else.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Either Peacock or Apple TV+. The former is kicking off it's existence by taking one of the most beloved shows off Netflix in a very public fashion, without a lot of original content worth drawing in new viewers. Comparatively, Apple TV+ is coming in with plenty of talent on the horizon - but with very worrying limits on what stories that talent will be allowed to tell.

Peacock at least has a backlog of Universal content to fall back on if the new stuff doesn't take off. Meanwhile, it's easy to see Apple abandoning the streaming content game the second it doesn't go their way.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I voted Peacock but wasn't until I scrolled down that I thought about CBS All Access. I think both that and DC Universe would be more likely to end before Peacock. DC Universe might just be folded into HBO Max

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Peacock isn't gonna last long. Universal's backlog, like you said, isn't varied enough. And most of it ain't that good either.

CBS all access isn't doing too hot nowadays... Wonder how long it'll last.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I want to say Apple TV, but I'm also conflicted as people are pretty fanatical when it comes to Apple.

It's just that their streaming service seems lame, especially when you look at the others side by side.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Peacock's fate as the next Yahoo! Screen depends entirely on the number of people willing to subscribe just to watch The Office. And that number could be very, very large.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
My money is on Hulu. Once the major networks start putting their own content into their respective streaming platforms, Hulu won't be able to exist.

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
You don't list Amazon in the poll but mention it in the OP...

The answer is probably amazon prime video, if it ever becomes it's own standalone option, I'm immediately dropping it. I rarely use it now, the only time I ever use amazon is when i can't find a movie on Netflix.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Apple TV+

They are the only ones on the list coming into the game with zero content creation experience. Netflix and Prime were able to learn as they went, but Apple isn't going to have the luxury with such a packed field.

Dozer

May 30, 2019
Orlando, FL
I dunno if this counts as "failing" but I'm reasonably confident HBO Max will get folded into regular HBO by the end of next year.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
My money is on Hulu. Once the major networks start putting their own content into their respective streaming platforms, Hulu won't be able to exist.
Hulu is going to have a safe spot as the landing zone for anything Disney owns, but doesn't want to put on the 'family friendly' servers of Disney+. So expect Hulu to stick around, mostly as the home of FX content (which is starting to rival HBO as a place for major stars to do TV work). Plus, they've got enough originals to keep around.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That Disney+ opinion is quite loaded. The Mandalorian trailer wasn't quite family friendly fare with bloody Trooper helmets on pikes and a guy getting caught and probably maimed (within a PG-13 limit) in a blast door. It's not just a PG-G dumping ground.

Plus odd to mention Hulu and brush that over when any mature and more artistic works will likely end up there.

That said, I actually believe Hulu as it exists now will get the axe as networks continue to develop their own services.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Either Peacock or Apple TV+. The former is kicking off it's existence by taking one of the most beloved shows off Netflix in a very public fashion, without a lot of original content worth drawing in new viewers. Comparatively, Apple TV+ is coming in with plenty of talent on the horizon - but with very worrying limits on what stories that talent will be allowed to tell.

Peacock at least has a backlog of Universal content to fall back on if the new stuff doesn't take off. Meanwhile, it's easy to see Apple abandoning the streaming content game the second it doesn't go their way.

This seems most likely right now.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I want to say Apple TV, but I'm also conflicted as people are pretty fanatical when it comes to Apple.

It's just that their streaming service seems lame, especially when you look at the others side by side.

Same. There's no shows that scream I gotta watch that.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
You don't list Amazon in the poll but mention it in the OP...

The answer is probably amazon prime video, if it ever becomes it's own standalone option, I'm immediately dropping it. I rarely use it now, the only time I ever use amazon is when i can't find a movie on Netflix.

Amazon really needs to do a better job of advertising what they have and making it easier to find. I realize they want to bombard you with stuff that actually sells for money but it sucks.

They have great stuff, too. Prime membership bundling everything in makes it a decent add on, and they add like the most random things. LIke I saw that they added the entire super robot series Baldios today out of like nowhere. But especially because it's a bundled service it'll last, unless like AWS starts losing money or something.

Netflix is the one with the huge head start but man they're spending so much money and are so dependent on this one revenue stream that I'm not too sure. The other ones like Peacock at least have other revenue streams. Apple+ is the other, apple has many revenue streams but if it's really just a handful of originals, how long are they going to lose money on that service?

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Peacock, I don't see what it might offer besides Zack Morris as Trump :v

Apple TV I think might just live as a zombie service, some events, maybe one series, bundled with some Apple services/products or other streaming services, etc. Not officially canceled to save face.

But I might be way wrong about this.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
It would be shocking to me if anyone actually signs up for Apple TV in the first year. It's going to be 95% people with the one year free trial from buying an Apple device.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I would guess CBS/NBC/Showtime/Starz/etc. would be more likely to fail before Netflix, HBO, or Disney.

AppleTV+, I really don't know. They have money, they have experience with their digital marketplace, sort of like Amazon before they started doing Prime Video & original programming. Remains to be seen how much of a draw Apple-exclusive content will be, but they also have a pretty big existing customer base to draw on (like getting iPhone owners into Apple Music).

Hulu seems like it might suffer when they start losing access to more network content as the networks spin off their own services.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
If it wasnt for Peacock, I'd say Apple+ because its content looks like garbage. However there's no way it can do as badly as Peacock, a service that no-one asked for. It's the Rockstar launcher of streaming services.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
At least Peacock has a decent back-catalog of popular shows.

I don't see Apple TV offering anything of value.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The smaller streaming services seem like they're just trying to increase the value of their library so that they can either be part of a mega merger or to charge the big streamers more down the line.